or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meet the father attire
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Meet the father attire - Page 3

post #31 of 47
I don't know if I could take someone seriously while they were wearing a leather tie. I certainly wouldn't wear one while trying to make a first impression. You might as well wear a three peice suit made of burgundy checkerboard fabric, a shiny tie, and have your hair flying all over the damn place.
post #32 of 47
Quote:
You might as well wear a three peice suit made of burgundy checkerboard fabric, a shiny tie, and have your hair flying all over the damn place.
Where did you get that suit, anyway? If I saw the fabric in black, I'd buy it in a second...
post #33 of 47
#1 -- ask your girlfriend what you should wear, as she knows best what her father is like. If he's a businessman, you'll want to dress preppier. If a bricklayer, you'll want to tone it way down. If he's in advertising, then maybe you can stray into the slightly funky. #2 -- I agree about not overdressing. I'd say don't wear a tie unless you're coming from work and you wear one at the office, or you're having lunch/dinner someplace that requires a tie. I'd say skip the jacket too (and just wear nice pair of slacks and oxford shirt) unless you wear one at work or you're going to a dressy restaurant. #3 -- be funny without being slick #4 -- be respectful without being obsequious #5 -- try to learn as much as you can from your gfriend about her dad -- work; interests; hobbies; etc.
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M,15 July 2004, 01:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim,15 July 2004, 12:53
You might as well wear a three peice suit made of burgundy checkerboard fabric, a shiny tie, and have your hair flying all over the damn place.
Where did you get that suit, anyway? If I saw the fabric in black, I'd buy it in a second...
yeah- where DID you get that suit??
Hmmm... Down near Pike Place Market, a little shop called Leroy's Menswear, Fantastic place. He's been dressing pimps, Sir Mix A Lot, and Seattle Sonics basketball players for over thirty years.
post #35 of 47
Quote:
Quote:
(CTGuy @ 15 July 2004, 06:09)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M,15 July 2004, 01:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim,15 July 2004, 12:53
You might as well wear a three peice suit made of burgundy checkerboard fabric, a shiny tie, and have your hair flying all over the damn place.
Where did you get that suit, anyway? If I saw the fabric in black, I'd buy it in a second...
yeah- where DID you get that suit??
Hmmm... Down near Pike Place Market, a little shop called Leroy's Menswear, Fantastic place. He's been dressing pimps, Sir Mix A Lot, and Seattle Sonics basketball players for over thirty years.
LOL. Jon.
post #36 of 47
Just a couple of thoughts - being from a warm climate as well, I say go with the tan slacks and blue shirt combination. The blue with black combination also works if you want to be more formal at night. I tend to avoid the white shirt and black pants look because that is the standard uniform of most waiters and bartenders and you want her father to treat you as a fellow guest, not one of the workers. Also - I would definitely steer clear of the all-black look in this situation. You want her dad to see you as the nice young man who's seeing his daughter, not the "too-cool for school" hipster who's just looking to score and move on. Remember, her father is a guy too and has been through all this himself. Bradford
post #37 of 47
Quote:
I tend to avoid the white shirt and black pants look because that is the standard uniform of most waiters and bartenders and you want her father to treat you as a fellow guest, not one of the workers.
As I said
Quote:
I agree that white dress shirt plus black trousers is wrong, and you may end up looking even worse, as you may look like the maitre'd.
In case you do not know, the maitre'd is the head member of the waiting staff, and they are only present in the better restaurants
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Quote:
I tend to avoid the white shirt and black pants look because that is the standard uniform of most waiters and bartenders and you want her father to treat you as a fellow guest, not one of the workers.
As I said
Quote:
I agree that white dress shirt plus black trousers is wrong, and you may end up looking even worse, as you may look like the maitre'd.
In case you do not know, the maitre'd is the head member of the waiting staff, and they are only present in the better restaurants
Kalra - Hadn't seen your previous post, but I obviously agree with your point and YES - I do know what a maitre'd is. Bradford
post #39 of 47
As a father of a teenage daughter, I prefer the young men she dates to meet me wearing a simple two piece dark suit, white shirt, and tie - preferably an outfit they would not be ashamed to be buried in - just in case they think about getting physical. "grin" p.s. Kalra- Thank you. I had been wondering why there seems to be so many guys in tuxes at restaurants.
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Quote:
(kalra2411 @ 15 July 2004, 09:04) Quote I tend to avoid the white shirt and black pants look because that is the standard uniform of most waiters and bartenders and you want her father to treat you as a fellow guest, not one of the workers.
As I said
Quote:
I agree that white dress shirt plus black trousers is wrong, and you may end up looking even worse, as you may look like the maitre'd.
In case you do not know, the maitre'd is the head member of the waiting staff, and they are only present in the better restaurants
Kalra - Hadn't seen your previous post, but I obviously agree with your point and YES - I do know what a maitre'd is. Bradford[/quote] Okay, sorry, I did not mean to sound condescending either, I did not realise that you did not see my post, I was simply informing you, incase you did not see that part of the post for any reason.
post #41 of 47
Oh for the love of God men are you trying to get this poor boy killed? 1. Jacket - should be Kevlar. If dad has the special jacketed loads in his H&K get the matching vest with the steel plates. 2. Jewlelry - your Eagle Scout pin. Maybe a ribbon you won for memorizing the most verses at Vacation Bible School. 3. Tattoos - sand them off before meeting dad. 4. Piercings - Ok, I was 20 once too and I understand that currently this is big. However our goal here is not to support your individuality but to keep you off the milk cartons. If there is metal stuck in your body you damned well better have a Purple Heart and a letter from the Pentagon to go with it, nuff said. Ok, now for conversation tips: Safe topics - Stock market, the DAD's favorite sports team, Dad's job, your plans for graduate school and what you taught to the disadvantaged children in Sunday School last week. Your opinions: War: "well sir, generally I hate to see violence of any kind but if anyone threatened your princess I am sure I would gut the bastard like a trout and try not to get anything on my fine Italian shoes." Abortion: "Gee, sir, I guess I never thought about it. I always figured that before my wedding my fiance and i would sit down and discuss it with our minister and then plan our family responsibly" STD's/Condoms: "Well actually sir, when I think of the phrase "Barrier protection" as far as your daughter is concerned I assume you are the barrier and you WILL kill me faster than any STD. Religion: Dangit son, do your homework. Find out where daddy goes to church and what he believes. I'm 35, been with the same girl 7 years - her dad has never seen me drink a beer.... and she is 4 years older than I am. Understand these basic religious truths: Jews do not recognize Christ as the Messiah Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the head of the church. ...and Southern baptists do not recognize EACHOTHER at the liquor store or Hooters. It's simple, grasshopper.... we fathers want to see a critter as sexual as SNL's "Pat" with our daughter. Don't touch her in my presence. Keep your hands on your knees. Show a healthy respect for my thinly veiled homicidal rage ...and of course.... relax, if you make a poor first impression then it will probably be quick and painless. By the time you realize he is pulling the trigger everything will be quiet and warm and you just go toward the light. No pressure. ...have fun. (but keep your damned paws where he can see them) :-)
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Oh for the love of God men are you trying to get this poor boy killed? 1.  Jacket - should be Kevlar.  If dad has the special jacketed loads in his H&K get the matching vest with the steel plates. 2.  Jewlelry - your Eagle Scout pin.  Maybe a ribbon you won for memorizing the most verses at Vacation Bible School. 3.  Tattoos - sand them off before meeting dad. 4.  Piercings - Ok, I was 20 once too and I understand that currently this is big.  However our goal here is not to support your individuality but to keep you off the milk cartons.  If there is metal stuck in your body you damned well better have a Purple Heart and a letter from the Pentagon to go with it, nuff said. Ok, now for conversation tips: Safe topics - Stock market, the DAD's favorite sports team, Dad's job, your plans for graduate school and what you taught to the disadvantaged children in Sunday School last week. Your opinions: War:  "well sir, generally I hate to see violence of any kind but if anyone threatened your princess I am sure I would gut the bastard like a trout and try not to get anything on my fine Italian shoes." Abortion:  "Gee, sir, I guess I never thought about it.  I always figured that before my wedding my fiance and i would sit down and discuss it with our minister and then plan our family responsibly" STD's/Condoms:  "Well actually sir, when I think of the phrase "Barrier protection" as far as your daughter is concerned I assume you are the barrier and you WILL kill me faster than any STD. Religion:  Dangit son, do your homework.  Find out where daddy goes to church and what he believes.  I'm 35, been with the same girl 7 years - her dad has never seen me drink a beer.... and she is 4 years older than I am.  Understand these basic religious truths: Jews do not recognize Christ as the Messiah Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the head of the church. ...and Southern baptists do not recognize EACHOTHER at the liquor store or Hooters. It's simple, grasshopper.... we fathers want to see a critter as sexual as SNL's "Pat" with our daughter. Don't touch her in my presence. Keep your hands on your knees. Show a healthy respect for my thinly veiled homicidal rage ...and of course.... relax, if you make a poor first impression then it will probably be quick and painless.  By the time you realize he is pulling the trigger everything will be quiet and warm and you just go toward the light. No pressure. ...have fun.  (but keep your damned paws where he can see them) :-)
Funniest thing I've read all night, along with Ernest's "leather tie" comment.
post #43 of 47
He should take Alex Kabbaz's offer on those custom-fit kevlar dress shirts.
post #44 of 47
Chuck, As a guy who just asked his fiancee's father for permission to marry her - and meeting the guy (actually a minister, if you'd believe it) for the first time to boot - I think that I can safely say that is the funniest post in forum history - the timing could've been a little earlier though.
post #45 of 47
So what did he say? What did she say? Where the hell is my invitation?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Meet the father attire