or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wings + Horns SS14
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wings + Horns SS14 - Page 5

post #61 of 174
I guess that makes sense for the 10yr anniversary.
But it doesn't even seem like they have a signature fabric this season (ss was Sashiko, last FW was the Japanese tweed).
post #62 of 174
I liked the vest and bombers along with two of the sweaters/jackets in the homepage photos, but as usual with W+H, I'll probably only cop on discount.

edit: Thinking of getting the straight fit selvage. Anyone have pics or first hand experience as to how they fade?
Edited by wizzeak - 7/23/14 at 10:08pm
post #63 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfull View Post

Anyone have any experience with the pigment twill short? I'm looking to order them but according to the measurements on their site, it says I should order a size 30, which scares me a bit since I'm a size 32. Any help would be appreciated.

http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/products/pigment-twill-short-tan

Did you (or did anyone else) end up picking these up? Thoughts as to sizing, quality, &c?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzeak View Post

I liked the vest and bombers along with two of the sweaters/jackets in the homepage photos, but as usual with W+H, I'll probably only cop on discount.

edit: Thinking of getting the straight fit selvage. Anyone have pics or first hand experience as to how they fade?

You'd think I'd have more pictures considering how frequently I wear them. This is from a while ago. I'd say they fade pretty well. I've washed them a bunch of times, and I've had the crotch repaired once by HTC/Denim Doctors. They're not the best jeans I own from the perspective of nerdy denim details, but they might be my favorite pair. I'd call them more slim than straight.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #64 of 174
I didn't end up ordering the shorts because the sizing recommendations were all over the place and most places I was interested in purchasing from were no returns.
post #65 of 174
Are we keeping this thread for FW14 conversation, since this season is so fucking awful it's not worthy of it's own thread?

They somehow managed to fuck up something as simple as a peacoat: http://rodengray.com/collections/wings-horns/products/meltonwoolpeacoat#image3

They fucked up the bush pants with their stupid foliage print: http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/all/products/foliage-print-herringbone-bush-pant-overdyed-charcoal

I don't even know where to begin on this monstrosity: http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/all/products/knit-wool-chesterfield-jacket-charcoal

I'll see you in February/March at 70% (that is if any retailers were stupid enough to place an order for this): http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/all/products/suede-bomber

Wings & Horns, RIP.

(on a side-note, if you want a classic piece, buy the camel Mac in my sig!)
post #66 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlin View Post

I don't even know where to begin on this monstrosity: http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/all/products/knit-wool-chesterfield-jacket-charcoal


wow that is fugly

post #67 of 174

I can't take this brand seriously anymore.

post #68 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawlin View Post

Are we keeping this thread for FW14 conversation, since this season is so fucking awful it's not worthy of it's own thread?

They somehow managed to fuck up something as simple as a peacoat: http://rodengray.com/collections/wings-horns/products/meltonwoolpeacoat#image3

They fucked up the bush pants with their stupid foliage print: http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/all/products/foliage-print-herringbone-bush-pant-overdyed-charcoal

I don't even know where to begin on this monstrosity: http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/all/products/knit-wool-chesterfield-jacket-charcoal

I'll see you in February/March at 70% (that is if any retailers were stupid enough to place an order for this): http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/collections/all/products/suede-bomber

Wings & Horns, RIP.

(on a side-note, if you want a classic piece, buy the camel Mac in my sig!)

bawlin over the last few years you've done a great job at reassuring me im not alone in my thoughts on wings. i browse through their new stuff every season and come here to find you've already stated what i was thinking.

im quite sad with how one of my favourite brands has not only gone downhill but their pricing keeps increasing. would still buy a pair of moleskin utility pants if they ever released those again though.
post #69 of 174

2009

2010

 

 

 

2011

 

 

2012

post #70 of 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by linds_15 View Post

bawlin over the last few years you've done a great job at reassuring me im not alone in my thoughts on wings. i browse through their new stuff every season and come here to find you've already stated what i was thinking.

im quite sad with how one of my favourite brands has not only gone downhill but their pricing keeps increasing. would still buy a pair of moleskin utility pants if they ever released those again though.

It's sad. I've followed them since day 1. Heck, I have a box full of old Spruce and W+H samples from '07 somewhere in storage. They were certainly my favourite brand a few years back but now I won't even bother looking at their rack when I'm at a retailer.

While they've been on a steady decline, at least last FW season they had a solid outerwear lineup. This season they don't even have that as their saving grace. My expectations were low when I heard they were paying homage to their first couple of seasons with FW14 (their first couple of seasons were terrible), but some of this stuff is downright atrocious.

They are currently suffering from a major identity crisis with their failed attempt to move upmarket. It's all good though. As long as brands like AMI are coming out with solid FW collections for roughly the same money, I'll be ok.

2011 icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #71 of 174

W&H is partly how I found SF and came in right around the end of 2010 and got the utility coat and loved it and was like wow so this is what real quality shit is like.  Anything I don't wear 100%, I sell, and I've sold a lot of things but I still have that coat.


Then in 2011, I picked up the tiger fleece hoodie with the scuba neck and these nice black riri zips and have been wearing that for yeeeeears as a pure comfy hoodie to lounge in, still do, shit i'm wearing it now.

 

But stopped buying anything shortly after they got a new main designer (his name is something Davidson I think?).  Haven't bought anything or thought of them since maybe 2011, early 2012 and likely never will.  Plenty of better things out there.

post #72 of 174
don't they have a new designer in the spring of 2015?
post #73 of 174

It seems like the dude who runs CYC and all their brands just doesn't have a fucking clue what he wants W+H to be anymore.

Even their "staple" pieces aren't consistent.

The black leather hi's are ill, because they are pretty much exactly the same as the have always been.

Last fall/winter the mac coat, varsity, tweed chinos and bush pants and the tweed cap were all really good pieces. The moleskin bush pants looked good but moleskin is just a shitty fabric choice for something that you are going to be sitting on picking up lint all day. In all reality though last FW was a pretty good line up because it actually had a pretty consistent vibe to it and things made sense. Then they went right from that to this S/S and it was just completely fucked. The only thing that seemed decent were the wave knit sweaters/hoodies. 

Plus they have a penchant for ridiculously ugly pockets.

If the primaloft bomber makes it to sale I will grab one, and if the black hi's make it to sale I'll grab a pair to back up my current ones, but other than that this season is a total loss. I'm hoping there's some better bush pants coming.

post #74 of 174
Thread Starter 
W+H do have a new designer whose work has been transitioning into the collections, beginning with FW14 (I believe). The last designer definitely ended up creating more misses than hits, and from what I understand, his technical design and tailoring skills were actually quite poor. Their new designer is very skilled, and his style is far more classically masculine. For those who saw the SS15 look book, their looks are definitely moving in the right direction.

W+H was a gateway brand for me into, and I'll probably always maintain interest in what they're making - however, I'm more inclined to buy pieces by other brands I like, unless a W+H piece really stands out. I think the not-so-distant future will see the brand moving back in the right direction. I mean, they couldn't REALLY get much worse, right?
post #75 of 174
Like many of you W+H is what got me onto this site along with raw denim. Tiger fleece specifically. I'm not into that stuff anymore and it's sad that W+H is so overpriced and bad these days. Hopefully with a new designer they'll be back on track.

Haven't liked anything enough to buy at full price or even on slight discount for these past few seasons. I still am looking for a wool mac coat though.

Wasn't the old W+H designer (name slips my mind) supposed to design stuff for the Bay or something?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Wings + Horns SS14