Father Maur van Doorslaer
In 1951, he entered the Monastery of Sint Andries in Brugges, Belgium, which is the motherhouse of St. Andrew’s Abbey in Valyermo. As a monk he studied Philosophy and Theology in preparation for his ordination in 1958. Fr. Maur was sent to Paris in 1959 and studied pastoral work from 1960 to 1961. There he visited many galleries and exhibitions and kept abreast of the trends of the modern art world. He was especially interested in non-figurative art including Geometric Constructivism, the Lyrical Abstraction of the Ecole de Paris and Abstract Expressionism. ...Fr. Maur lives, prays and works in his own monastery, Sint Andries Abdij, Zevenkerken in Brugge, Belgium. In his studio, he paints his white-on-white canvasses, which are composed of basic geometric forms: crosses, rectangles, circles and squares, concentric squares, and divisions of the square into other squares and rectangles and triangles.
In his work, we find “the restfulness of symmetry, the equilibrium of the perfectly balanced composition and the harmony and stillness of an autonomous world of pure form.”