or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are any of these suits worth the cost?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are any of these suits worth the cost?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

If any of you find gents would be so kind to lend a bit of your time to helping me. I only have one suit at the moment (a charcoal Benjamin Classico) and would like to expand my collection. I have a gift card to Saks Off 5th and saw that they are having a one day, Buy One Get One Free sale on their suits. I, however, have no idea if any of these suits are worth the cost. If you have the time to kill and want to take a look, I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions.

 

http://www.saksoff5th.com/mens-tailored-shop?om_mid=_BS19f-B83kr7hF&email=galahad_lp%40yahoo.com&cmp=EML1312OFF5DLYMENAPLBGO&site_refer=EML1312OFF5DLYMENAPLBGO&om_rid=NtEtY7#prefn1=size&prefn2=Style&prefv2=Two-Button|One%20Button|Notch%20Lapel&prefv1=38|38S|39|40|40S|39S

 

Thank you in advance.

post #2 of 9
"Buy one get one free" is really the store's way of liquidating stale stock. The short response to your question: no.

The long response:

Having looked at the brands being offered, only Hickey Freeman and Corneliani stands out as being a good brand. However, I can't tell whether the Corneliani is from the mainline or from their CC diffusion line, which is of lower quality, so buyer beware. The Hickeys are good and the price is okay, though I suspect your Benjamin is better. Plus, there's Hickey Freeman and the Hickey diffusion line, so again I can't tell you which is which.

I see some Giorgio Armani and if it's the Black Label, then it's high quality but overpriced compared to what you could get at that price bracket. Armani Collezioni is fused, so it's worse than your Benjamin.

The Saks private label can be good depending who manufactures them, but I have lost track of that so I wouldn't spend that kind of money gambling, unless I can go look at the fabric tags.

My advice: if the Benjamin works well, stick with it.
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

Much obliged, sir.

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post

"Buy one get one free" is really the store's way of liquidating stale stock. The short response to your question: no.

The long response:

Having looked at the brands being offered, only Hickey Freeman and Corneliani stands out as being a good brand. However, I can't tell whether the Corneliani is from the mainline or from their CC diffusion line, which is of lower quality, so buyer beware. The Hickeys are good and the price is okay, though I suspect your Benjamin is better. Plus, there's Hickey Freeman and the Hickey diffusion line, so again I can't tell you which is which.

I see some Giorgio Armani and if it's the Black Label, then it's high quality but overpriced compared to what you could get at that price bracket. Armani Collezioni is fused, so it's worse than your Benjamin.

The Saks private label can be good depending who manufactures them, but I have lost track of that so I wouldn't spend that kind of money gambling, unless I can go look at the fabric tags.

My advice: if the Benjamin works well, stick with it.

Good advice
post #5 of 9

I purchased 2 hugo boss suits from the b1g1 sale. Are hugo boss suits decent? They ended up being about $350 for both.

post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chen04 View Post
 

I purchased 2 hugo boss suits from the b1g1 sale. Are hugo boss suits decent? They ended up being about $350 for both.

 

My understanding is that they are fused, and have the general drawbacks of mass produced products.  I've always pretty much liked the look of them, and their fabrics, when I've tried them on, and I can't say I'd complain much about the quality of any suit, at $175/each.

post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTheGroom View Post
 

 

My understanding is that they are fused, and have the general drawbacks of mass produced products.  I've always pretty much liked the look of them, and their fabrics, when I've tried them on, and I can't say I'd complain much about the quality of any suit, at $175/each.

 

My mistake. I meant $350/each.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chen04 View Post
 

 

My mistake. I meant $350/each.

 

In that case, I don't think I know enough about them to reccomend them or not.  I'd probably spend my $700 on one, better suit, but I don't wear suits very often, and $350 is a lot of money to me these days.

post #9 of 9

To my understanding, most of what you find at Saks Off Fifth is specifically made for the outlet store.  I don't think they are left overs from the actual Saks Fifth Avenue store.  From my limited knowledge, when I visited the outlet store before Christmas, here are my observations. 1st: They were having the buy one get one free sale then, so they might run that often.  However, usually, January is the time when you can find the best deals on suits so maybe they don't run the buy one get one free that often.  

2nd: I think the Hickey Freeman were not the mainline at Saks Off Fifth.  Their label inside had stitches where it wasn't making an "X", so I don't think they're fully canvassed.  When I visited Saks Off Fifth, I think all of their suits were fused.  They had some cloth by Ermenegildo Zenga, but it was just that.  Just the cloth were E. Zegna, but they weren't made by E. Zegna and was fused.  I think even their Hugo Boss were lower quality than the ones you would find at Nordstrom.  

But if they fit well and since you have a gift card, you may be alright.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Are any of these suits worth the cost?