• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes to wear to a club/party?

Torec_Scrail

Reaction score
I see there's another post below, about clubs, but, it doesn't have too much information for me...

I really don't know what to wear really...like, too casual etc... Don't want anything too colorful, maybe on the safer end hah. Anyone got some recommendation/pics of a good outfit? Would be nice to go out and look decent..anything beyond jeans..beyond my head... Lack of information in post..but, just looking for some minimalistic outfits that are still stylist..(Sauce? :p)

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep it simple, at first. There's nothing wrong with jeans, a great pair of high quality raw denim paired with some boots (not cowboy), a button up shirt and a blazer will look great without being too flashy.

The next level would be to wear a full blown suit. Or, just some slim cut trousers, maybe some brogues and a well fitted button up shirt.

But check out the waywt thread for ideas.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I avoid wearing expensive raw denim to clubs since there's a good chance they will get drinks spilled on them or something. I keep a cheap "beater" pair of onewash jeans around for such an occasion, and since it's dark no one can tell the difference anyway.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Depends on the place, the crowd, the people you will be with and where you/they will end up going. (Rowdy hot dog stand at 3AM + Super 150s = sad) But why wear something on "the safer end"? You're going out, not to work.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Remember the article about if you wouldn't wear something during the day, don't wear it to a club? **** that article, right in the butt. Try new things, have fun with what you wear. Sometimes they feel right, sometimes you don't. I'm a big fan of purple and ties, so sometimes...
club.jpg

itskub

Reaction score
i made the mistake of over dressing at first, it took me atleast a year before knowing how to put together a great casual outfit. so dont over look a nice pair of jeans and shoes first. nice jeans and NICE SHOES.

since youre in canada, how about getting solid grey light weight v-neck sweater which you can layer over a button-up or tshirt, and wear year round. flip back the shirt cuffs up a little bit, and with a nice watch the matches your belt and shoes. polo.com should give you some ideas for basic looks.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
I avoid wearing expensive raw denim to clubs since there's a good chance they will get drinks spilled on them or something. I keep a cheap "beater" pair of onewash jeans around for such an occasion, and since it's dark no one can tell the difference anyway.

To my mind, your raw jeans and your beater jeans should be one and the same.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i always find it interesting that the "club scene" seems so different in the US than here. When I go out (not really to that expensive places, more "hipster like" or indie places), I usually wear my favourite stuff at the moment, so raw denim and quite possibly a denim shirt. Just the stuff i always wear in the WAYWT thread... no dressing up other than to look good.

Are there dress code in most places in the US, so that you cant get in without dressing up with dress shirts and leather shoes? Or are you mainly going to "fancy" clubs?

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when you say club, I'm assuming you mean a dance club type of vibe? A step-up from a bar with karaoke? Avoid the generic club attire. My friends run an upscale night club, check out these photos for ideas I guess I should mention that 1/2 of these photos are of girls or guys wearing the "all-over-print tshirt and jeans" uniform - but you're asking what people would wear out in general, this is a good example. On the other end of the spectrum, check out the TaxLo photos for hipster-party gear

Torec_Scrail

Reaction score
Yea, maybe I'll just stick to more casual parties right now :p Brett, I noticed in alot of those pics seems to be solid polos, short sleeve button ups, and solid/simple pattern long sleeve button ups..

This summer I'm going to try and save up some more money ontop of tuition, to get some nice things.

Boots, I have no clue what to get, wouldn't mind getting something fancier (I pretty much wear athletic shoes <_<) But don't know what to get, other then I read alot about chelsea boots, and those RMW/RWM, maybe a bit hesitant at the cost, heck, not even that, that in different brands I wear different sizes (usually 12, but some up to 13) and then to pay and get the wrong size.. I guess some suggestions on some casualish boots would be great.
I'm trying to find some fancier places here, but, don't know if Winnipeg is really a fashion center type place...

A big thing I noticed, fit, its not just what you wear, but the fit of it, which I suck at.
Belt's is another thing..I've noticed some great belts people are wearing, but can never seem to find any..
I actually have quite a few pics saved from the WAYWN thread, most are of sausemaster and braidkid? I like their styles the most, some other pics are thrown in.

nastyandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
when you say club, I'm assuming you mean a dance club type of vibe? A step-up from a bar with karaoke? Avoid the generic club attire. My friends run an upscale night club, check out these photos for ideas

I guess I should mention that 1/2 of these photos are of girls or guys wearing the "all-over-print tshirt and jeans" uniform - but you're asking what people would wear out in general, this is a good example.

On the other end of the spectrum, check out the TaxLo photos for hipster-party gear

Ha, I know Adam Auburn quite well, and LG also. But, while Mosaic is pretty much one of a kind in B-more, I think most of the crowd that I've ever seen there would fit in more with what this board generally places in Amjack territory.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nastyandy
Ha, I know Adam Auburn quite well, and LG also. But, while Mosaic is pretty much one of a kind in B-more, I think most of the crowd that I've ever seen there would fit in more with what this board generally places in Amjack territory.

Ha Smalltimore strikes again! I worked there for a couple of summers, LG's an old friend, I've been roommates with his bro for years.

I think you're right about Amjack, especially considering it's in Powerplant, but if you dig through you'll see some unique outfits in there.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2022_front.jpg

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aaaaaaaahahahahah awesome!

Ok, now if I was a photographer, that would be a must-take fun photo....but what the hell was LG thinking about when he put it on the site.

if you have a second, it looks like they put the photos from the Strut Fashion show online as well. This is the first year I haven't worked the show but my roommate Peter is one of the models.... if you look in the background of some of the photos you'll see Adam Auburn was DJ'ing.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Torec I'm in Winnipeg as well. My advice is to get thee to Holt Renfrew before they close their doors in August. You may be able to find something there. Trying to find your size in shoes is not easy online, just do a lot of research. The threads on RM Williams have lots of info on sizing. Ultimately you just have to make a leap of faith of sorts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads