• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who made these Brooks English shoes?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought these on eBay fairly recently and was wondering if anyone knew who made them. Thanks in advance.

6cdlgs5.jpg

4vev814.jpg

4kcoqrb.jpg

537w10o.jpg

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the auction--they weren't cheap, but they're a "business shoe" staple and are the first pair of bals to fit my instep really well, so I'm quite satisfied.

I'm fairly certain they're not C&J benchgrade due to the heel markings, but I suppose they could be.

DARLEY

Reaction score
I suppose that they are Cheaney and that 911 indicates last number.

These are C&J and these are Church's.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sole looks very similar but not identical to a recent pair of Cheaney's I had
DSC04297.JPG
DSC04299.JPG

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
sole looks very similar but not identical to a recent pair of Cheaney's I had

The thing that really throws me for a loop is that the rubber part of the heel doesn't have that "claw" shape--it's just flat on the inside edge.

4pjejit.jpg

If Cheaney makes a last 911 last, though, then this is probably it.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes but my cheaneys are from the currently available line, they are much more recent. Production methods can easily change.

DARLEY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
The thing that really throws me for a loop is that the rubber part of the heel doesn't have that "claw" shape--it's just flat on the inside edge.

If Cheaney makes a last 911 last, though, then this is probably it.

These are Royal Tweed by Cheaney. I judged by typeface and "last/width size" on the quarter lining. Do your shoes have the stamp of "MADE IN ENGLAND LEATHER INSOLES" on the center of insoles?

Anyhow, Cheaney will answer your question.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether the rubber inset in the heel is straight- or dovetail edged. Shoe factories get those 'top lifts' ready prepared from their supplier. They just put on what the buyer asks for (maybe all BB/Peal shoes have straight edged rubber insets). That would not need a change in production or different setup of the machinery.

The shoes are either Cheaney or Alfred Sargent.

Taylormade

Reaction score
I found another pair on ebay. Is it possible to tell the size from this? I assume the B corresponds with width. Do English B widths correspond with American B widths?

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DARLEY
These are Royal Tweed by Cheaney. I judged by typeface and "last/width size" on the quarter lining. Do your shoes have the stamp of "MADE IN ENGLAND LEATHER INSOLES" on the center of insoles?

Anyhow, Cheaney will answer your question.

Thanks for your help--you've all been very helpful.

I actually emailed Cheaney last night to see if they had any insight. In retrospect, it's not really that big of a deal, but I'm just really curious at this point.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
In the past I thought the consensus had been that 'Brooks English' were Church's.

Nice shoes, Karim.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
In the past I thought the consensus had been that 'Brooks English' were Church's.

Nice shoes, Karim.

On a related note.

Here is an inner picture of a "Brooks English" by Churchs:

14005ef9.jpg

Can anyone tell what size and width this is?

Thanks!

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DARLEY
Do your shoes have the stamp of "MADE IN ENGLAND LEATHER INSOLES" on the center of insoles?
They do, actually. I never would have noticed this otherwise. Does this confirm the Cheaney hypothesis?
Originally Posted by AlanC
In the past I thought the consensus had been that 'Brooks English' were Church's. Nice shoes, Karim.
Thanks Alan. I went a little outside my standard price range (which is ridiculously low) but I think I got a good deal.
Originally Posted by rnoldh
On a related note. Here is an inner picture of a "Brooks English" by Churchs: Can anyone tell what size and width this is? Thanks!
41C is probably a slightly narrow size 8. I don't know for sure, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads