or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Balmoral Boot Porn
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Balmoral Boot Porn - Page 5

post #61 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy View Post
I'm sure the historians are on your side, and that the boot police would have their way with me, but my Shannons (and all other Oxford boots) will be one mono-hide.


I must confess to being rather partial to the tradition of having a different hide/fabric for the upper.



This example is from Dimitri Gomez but the Germans and Austrians call buttons boots Gamaschenstiefeletten - which literally means a spat boot. I guess the contrasting tops do look like spats. I really like the effect myself.

Here's another Gomez creation:



Fabric uppers like this also make them more comfortable. I did toy with the idea of choosing velvet uppers myself.
post #62 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator View Post
Wow! Those are just stunning. 82 last I presume?

very very nice boots T4
post #63 of 1083
^^^ T4Phage, gorgeous boots... Really nice, and I especially like the same stitching used for the captoe and the upper limit... Did you ask for this ?
post #64 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator View Post
I must confess to being rather partial to the tradition of having a different hide/fabric for the upper.

This example is from Dimitri Gomez but the Germans and Austrians call buttons boots Gamaschenstiefeletten - which literally means a spat boot. I guess the contrasting tops do look like spats. I really like the effect myself.

Fabric uppers like this also make them more comfortable. I did toy with the idea of choosing velvet uppers myself.

Beautiful examples all, Sator. I do like the look of them but I fear that I would shy away from wearing them. Though the idea of suede uppers does sound like it would greatly ease the break-in period and add overall comfort.

I went with Shannon II in edwardian on the 82 last and Shannon I in coffee suede on the 82.
post #65 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABALO View Post
^^^ T4Phage, gorgeous boots... Really nice, and I especially like the same stitching used for the captoe and the upper limit... Did you ask for this ?

Thanks. Do you mean the serrated edge? That is a standard feature on the Shannon 2.
post #66 of 1083
OK I got it. Thanks.
post #67 of 1083
There are some of the nicest shoes I have eveer seen on this thread! Go on, gimme more!
post #68 of 1083
Would these Shannon on a 888 last be an heresy ?
post #69 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABALO View Post
Would these Shannon on a 888 last be an heresy ?

Not at all, but I like this boot with a round toe. And if you have a long foot they could get quite pointy on the 888.
post #70 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy View Post
Beautiful examples all, Sator. I do like the look of them but I fear that I would shy away from wearing them. Though the idea of suede uppers does sound like it would greatly ease the break-in period and add overall comfort.

I went with Shannon II in edwardian on the 82 last and Shannon I in coffee suede on the 82.

I look forward to seeing the finished results.

I made my uppers a dark blue-grey to make the contrast inconspicuous and the effect subtle. I also considered a dark oak upper with a black base. Having the uppers concealed by trouser hems also tones them down. I also shied away from having a strong contrast to the uppers for the reason you mention, when it really does look like you are wearing spats.

After much deliberation I am going to have a pair of Shannon IIs made in a C width on the old 88 last in black box calf with a black suede upper. I decided that velvet is a bit too delicate to take years of being pulled by the laces and EGs suedes are a bit softer than their box calf.

The result should be an Oxford boot equivalent of this sort of thing from Otsuka:

post #71 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator View Post
I look forward to seeing the finished results.

After much deliberation I am going to have a pair of Shannon IIs made in a C width on the old 88 last in black box calf with a black suede upper. I decided that velvet is a bit too delicate to take years of being pulled by the laces and EGs suedes are a bit softer than their box calf.

The result should be an Oxford boot equivalent of this sort of thing from Otsuka:


Thanks, they will hopefully be ready by September.

Your Shannons sound great. I love the 88 last. I have a pair of the old Berkleys in dark oak on it and I wear them all the time.
post #72 of 1083
Here are some historic examples of Oxford boots showing the contrasting tops:





They are both from the late 1890's.
post #73 of 1083
Vicuna topcoat--only $10.50.
post #74 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post
Wow, quite a few Bals.

Here is my Shannon2 which I got a few months ago, in dark oak and mink suede:



Dear lord. That is one, if not THE most beautiful boot I've ever seen. This just got moved to the top of my EG MTO list. Good work!!!
post #75 of 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sator View Post


This example is from Dimitri Gomez but the Germans and Austrians call buttons boots Gamaschenstiefeletten - which literally means a spat boot. I guess the contrasting tops do look like spats. I really like the effect myself.

Gamasche = spat
stiefelette = half boot

Please remove the hooks. You are not a toddler.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Balmoral Boot Porn