or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread - Page 384

post #5746 of 16368

Or a brown belt with black shoes...

post #5747 of 16368

Noodles, the dark brown Hallam is probably the smart buy.  Like you, I'm CBD and in suits most days and I wear brown captoes significantly more than I wear black.  I wear the dark brown captoes with all my navy and gray suits, with black only coming out for charcoal suits.

 

I may also nudge you to get a pair of lighter brown wingtips or semi-brogues for Spring and Summer, instead of the Westbourne.  The Westbourne is a beautiful shoe, but perhaps it's time for something a little different for your third pair of shoes.   I know you're a suit guy, but they would look great with a navy blazer and gray pants or other odd jacket combinations.  I'm thinking something like this:

 

rain-last-922-cuero-box-calf-cuero-11e.png

 

or this:

 

Carmina Semi Brogue

post #5748 of 16368
Might I recommend Berg and Berg for wonderful belts that are an incredible value. I have 2 and they are comparable with most high end italian belts that I've handled.

I think these 2 would be excellent staple dark brown belts. There are a number of other great colours and materials. If you ever get to this level, their tubo suede belts are incredible.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90

http://bergbergstore.com/leather-goods/belts.html?___store=world&%3Bp=1&p=1
post #5749 of 16368

stupid random question but if I want to ship a suit from USA to Europe is USPS the cheapest?

Anyone know what type of box I need to choose?

post #5750 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

I have a few belts from Meermin. I usually pick them up when I order some shoes. They are great belts for a really low price.

excellent suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Or a brown belt with black shoes...

do not do that.

---

also, brooks brothers has some decent belts. have a look at barneys warehouse as well, i have picked up some good ones for cheap over there.

at present i have the following belts.

black smooth calf
brown almost burgundy smooth calf
dark brown farnese tubo, kinda has a grain to it
tobacco suede
smooth tan
brown flat kinda rugged-ish for casual wear

covers all my needs.
post #5751 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


excellent suggestion.
do not do that.

---

also, brooks brothers has some decent belts. have a look at barneys warehouse as well, i have picked up some good ones for cheap over there.

at present i have the following belts.

black smooth calf
brown almost burgundy smooth calf
dark brown farnese tubo, kinda has a grain to it
tobacco suede
smooth tan
brown flat kinda rugged-ish for casual wear
covers all my needs.

 

Stitches, I take it you wear a suede belt with suede shoes?  I've got a pair of snuff suede MTO's on the way and am on the fence about whether to wear a tan belt with them or get the suede belt.  Any thoughts?

post #5752 of 16368
I know you asked for Sir Stitches advice, but I'll give you mine too. I always wear a suede belt with suede shoes and I purchase the belt from the maker of the shoes....exact match.
post #5753 of 16368
noodles, buying that light colored Westbourne makes little sense given your color preferences.

You said you don't like the color grey and other light colors? And are buying all navyand charcoal suits from here on out?

If so do not buy those wesbournes
post #5754 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

regular brown will be bad? Clag says it will be too brown. I am fine with that. 
Shoes and belt colours should match, right?
price is not an issue. 

If wife wants to shell out $5k on her master bedroom furniture with flowers on everything then I can do whatever with 'our' money. 

Regular brown won't go with the direction of your wardrobe. Just stick with darker shades of brown and black.

I try to match belt and shoes or get them close enough FWIW.
post #5755 of 16368
What the ephh @Rudals?

If you didn't like the cut of the grey zegna suit and thought it was "too baggy," you're DEFINITELY not going to like a Formosa. Neither is skin tight like you say you prefer...
post #5756 of 16368
Thread Starter 
The Formosa has the lapels and quarters the Zegna lacked, so the fuller cut is going to look a lot better
post #5757 of 16368

My concern is that the shoulders will be just too big for him: there's a fine line between "extended" and "looks like it's your dad's".

post #5758 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

I know you asked for Sir Stitches advice, but I'll give you mine too. I always wear a suede belt with suede shoes and I purchase the belt from the maker of the shoes....exact match.

 

Thanks, Murl.  I remember from a thread a few years ago that opinions on this issue were split down the middle with some sharing your view and some believing a suede belt took the whole match your belt to your shoes thing a step too far.  I'm hesitant to try one because I fear a snuff suede belt would be an even more obvious disruption between pants and shirt than a light/medium brown calfskin belt.

post #5759 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

noodles, buying that light colored Westbourne makes little sense given your color preferences.

You said you don't like the color grey and other light colors? And are buying all navyand charcoal suits from here on out?

If so do not buy those wesbournes

Awesome! :slayer:

Brown Hallam it is then!

post #5760 of 16368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

The Formosa has the lapels and quarters the Zegna lacked, so the fuller cut is going to look a lot better

The cut of the Zegna and Formosa is still not skin tight. Rudals seems to like his jackets so tight that the lapels bow. (Hence why he think he looks better in 38R... facepalm)

38R is some kind of magic number to noodles. It represents the pinnacle of "fitness" or something to him. Anything over that number is "fat"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread