Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
Related Forum Threads
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - 80+ Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! Last post on 5/5/12 at 7:39am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- Dark shirt on dark suit? Last post on 8/25/11 at 2:32pm in Classic Menswear
- Going to a wedding: Need help picking outfit! Last post on 8/10/11 at 11:35am in Classic Menswear
- 4-25 Price Drops on Kiton (suit and shirt) Last post on 4/26/11 at 12:20am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread - Page 35post #511 of 109421/26/14 at 10:37am
Styles mentioned in this thread:post #512 of 109421/26/14 at 5:37pmpost #513 of 109421/26/14 at 11:41pm
This is supposed to be about Noodles buying, not other people selling!
On which point, Noodles was advised to buy this wool challis from Drake's - in the sale too. He prevaricated as usual, so I bought it myself.
It looks a little bright in the pic, washed out by the sun (shirt is blue). But...yeah, you snooze you lose, Noodles....post #514 of 109421/27/14 at 5:44ampost #515 of 109421/27/14 at 5:46amQuote:
Roodals you need to buck up and make some choices! Life moves pretty fast. If you don't turn around and buy some ties, you could miss it.
What's in your tie collection right now? Just the navy ties?post #516 of 109421/27/14 at 5:54amQuote:
I think I had asked jrd to post his ties here for sale first, to give the participants first dibs so to speak, including Noodles. I don't mind it, a nice way to promote camaraderie in a matter of speaking. Of course, I wouldn't want this to be a B&S thread (which is not the point), but if the main posters (yourself included) want to get rid of a few quality ties that are in the spirit of the tastes being promoted by the thread, then I say go for it. Subscribers here are, I think, interested in talking about quality ties as well, in the context of helping a member build a good collection.
BTW: Nice tie! Noodles, can we get an update on what you have purchased, and perhaps what you are thinking you might purchase? A state of the union, so to speak?post #517 of 109421/27/14 at 5:58amQuote:
I think he has a ring to consider, which we can agree has a priority. But there were some nice pieces for sale at ET, Drakes, NMWA etc. this season weren't there?
Actually, the participants in the thread might, I suppose, have their own reports about, say a couple of choice selections acquired this season? Even if they won't go with Noodle's blue suit basis, one can learn from examples that DON'T work with his work attire. Negative lessons are good too. So is show and tell.post #518 of 109421/27/14 at 6:26ampost #519 of 109421/27/14 at 6:28amQuote:
I heard that stitchy wants to do noodles a solid. He has generously offered to fund the purchase of 20 EG Cappelli 7-fold ties for noodles.
So, so generous. You're a mensch, stitchy!post #520 of 109421/27/14 at 6:34amQuote:
That stitch, what a Mensch!post #521 of 109421/27/14 at 6:43ampost #522 of 109421/27/14 at 7:50am
Yes, I stopped eating out, I walk to work, I don't drink, I don't even help out the homeless guy on my way to work, AND I don't buy ties for the engagement ring. I guess I can get at least one here and there but It's just not the right time right now. I am proposing this April and she's already decided on the shape and setting. I am afraid what carrot size she will pick...post #523 of 109421/27/14 at 8:57amQuote:
I appreciate dramatic hyperbole as much as the next guy, but I would suggest that when it comes to spots, it's all about the precise relationship between the size of the spots, their spacing and the arrangement. Taking a few examples I've pulled off the net, all in b&w for comparison (obviously IRL, the choice of fore- and background colours makes a big difference as well):
Clearly easy to integrate into many outfits (aka the pindot):
Also classic I think, but hard enough to need some thought as to the shirt & suit choice:
Wider spacing with those bigger spots makes the task a little easier, by balancing out the overall visual impact of pattern (also used in my fit today, which is partly what reminded me to come back here to reply to your post):
Close spacing with large polka dots are easiest when used within a 3pc, esp. within a somewhat retro psychedelic fit. Could fall into your designated clown territory depending on colours and overall outfit.
Really difficult to integrate into an outfit, and probably almost impossible, are very closely spaced spots, whether large or small:
Note also that all of the above have the spots arranged diagonally rather than perpendicularly. As discussed in a separate thread recently, I think this makes any geometric pattern look much easier on the eye (and therefore easier to integrate into an outfit) compared to a grid layout.post #524 of 109421/27/14 at 9:40am
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 3 minutes ago
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 7 minutes ago
- › 3sixteen Denim Series, Bracelets, Shirts... 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 9 minutes ago
- › ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc. 9 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 9 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)