Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by Cleav, 3/29/15
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15More
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:46 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 5/23/15 at 12:33am in Classic Menswear
- FS: Consolidation of Blazer, Suits, Coats Pants & Ties (Price Drop 4/27) Last post on 4/28/11 at 6:09pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest?Last edited: 5/10/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 67post #991 of 242812/2/14 at 8:41pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #992 of 242812/2/14 at 9:53pmpost #993 of 242812/2/14 at 9:54pmpost #994 of 242812/2/14 at 10:21pmpost #995 of 242812/2/14 at 11:26pmpost #996 of 242812/3/14 at 12:06ampost #997 of 242812/3/14 at 2:28am
If you want a pattern on grey, get a pin or chalk stripe on a mid grey or charcoal.
Otherwise, there's nothing at all wrong with a solid suit, provided you add the visual interest to break it up elsewhere: you now have nice ties to do just that. Nailheads, herringbones, nice nappy flannels for the winter, all good ways of adding some texture while remaining formal. But keep it simple. That designer suit you just posted has such a shouty pattern it actually looks cheap. And if you have to go around at work saying "yeah but it's Isaia", then it's a big fail. A shockingly, unnecessarily, wastefully expensive one too.
Go. And. Try. Some. Stuff. On.
And it would be fun if you posted some trying-stuff-on pics. That's your homework for Saturday. Take your beloved too, if you can. She should by now be willing to tell you whether you look stupid. And can also take pictures. And girls are programmed to be happy going shopping without buying anything. And DON'T buy anything. Come back with pics, and we will programme you too. :)post #998 of 242812/3/14 at 2:42amShe also happened to study fashion and it surprised me to hear her say some of the same things that u guys have said, ie on neats and how it looks mature while looking like a grandpa's tie.
Ugh...if I go with another solid, even if it is grey, I think I will puke. I have too many solids. The designers like Zegna and Isaia have really bad fitting pictures but it's actually different when you try it on. I shall do some try-on-and-take-pix if I have some time this weekend.
So did I effup this purchase? It's already a water ubder the bridge but this Isaia was one that I purchased couple months ago...at full pricepost #999 of 242812/3/14 at 2:57am
It's OK, but not very businessy. And I'm afraid that trendy pattern makes it look cheap. It doesn't fit you well in the chest either. I mean, it's not like it's a bad suit. But you would look better in one a third of the price with a more professional look that fits you better.
Go and try some stuff on.post #1000 of 242812/3/14 at 3:06ampost #1001 of 242812/3/14 at 3:20ampost #1002 of 242812/3/14 at 3:34amThread Starterpost #1003 of 242812/3/14 at 4:03ampost #1004 of 242812/3/14 at 4:24am
Did you try the next size up? I don't think these NM or SFA sales people were doing you any favors here.
You don't have a clean shoulder line so I suppose a more structured shoulder might help, but that isn't what is jumping out at me. You are not getting a clean curve as the shoulder goes to the arm, though that might be in part because of your bulging bicep--stop working out! Those aren't divots at the shoulder, I think, but they aren't clean (see pingson in HOF for a recent clean look I just saw).
The lines of your lapel collar seem to bulge a bit (not a straight, sharp V, more closer to a "U") so perhaps that is why Mimo suggested the chest doesn't fit you and it is why I asked about sizing up. That said, always hard to judge from a shot. We live in jackets after all, move in them.
Post in the tailor's thread for more on what you might be able to do. Despos is hanging out there these days, and you're not going to find a more knowledgeable source on tailoring right now in SF.
Oh, and that gray suit on the last page looks like &)*()^&*! Is that what they are peddling to those of means? Yikes. Go NMWA for sure.
Edit: again my fact I console myself with all the time in my own case--Just about everyone else outside of SF will think you look great.post #1005 of 242812/3/14 at 5:18am
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 12 seconds ago
- › Buy Real Genuine data base Registered and Fake Passport, Drivers... 19 seconds ago
- › Buy Real Genuine data base Registered and Fake Passport, Drivers... 1 minute ago
- › The Definitive MANBAG Thread, Part II: 2014~ 1 minute ago
- › THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD 1 minute ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 1 minute ago
- › Buy Real Genuine data base Registered and Fake Passport, Drivers... 1 minute ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Buy Real Genuine data base Registered and Fake Passport, Drivers... 2 minutes ago
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 4 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan