Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14More
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:31 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on Today at 6:05 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 7/5/15 at 12:07pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 67post #991 of 271452/2/14 at 8:41pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #992 of 271452/2/14 at 9:53pmpost #993 of 271452/2/14 at 9:54pmpost #994 of 271452/2/14 at 10:21pmpost #995 of 271452/2/14 at 11:26pmpost #996 of 271452/3/14 at 12:06ampost #997 of 271452/3/14 at 2:28am
If you want a pattern on grey, get a pin or chalk stripe on a mid grey or charcoal.
Otherwise, there's nothing at all wrong with a solid suit, provided you add the visual interest to break it up elsewhere: you now have nice ties to do just that. Nailheads, herringbones, nice nappy flannels for the winter, all good ways of adding some texture while remaining formal. But keep it simple. That designer suit you just posted has such a shouty pattern it actually looks cheap. And if you have to go around at work saying "yeah but it's Isaia", then it's a big fail. A shockingly, unnecessarily, wastefully expensive one too.
Go. And. Try. Some. Stuff. On.
And it would be fun if you posted some trying-stuff-on pics. That's your homework for Saturday. Take your beloved too, if you can. She should by now be willing to tell you whether you look stupid. And can also take pictures. And girls are programmed to be happy going shopping without buying anything. And DON'T buy anything. Come back with pics, and we will programme you too. :)post #998 of 271452/3/14 at 2:42amShe also happened to study fashion and it surprised me to hear her say some of the same things that u guys have said, ie on neats and how it looks mature while looking like a grandpa's tie.
Ugh...if I go with another solid, even if it is grey, I think I will puke. I have too many solids. The designers like Zegna and Isaia have really bad fitting pictures but it's actually different when you try it on. I shall do some try-on-and-take-pix if I have some time this weekend.
So did I effup this purchase? It's already a water ubder the bridge but this Isaia was one that I purchased couple months ago...at full pricepost #999 of 271452/3/14 at 2:57am
It's OK, but not very businessy. And I'm afraid that trendy pattern makes it look cheap. It doesn't fit you well in the chest either. I mean, it's not like it's a bad suit. But you would look better in one a third of the price with a more professional look that fits you better.
Go and try some stuff on.post #1000 of 271452/3/14 at 3:06ampost #1001 of 271452/3/14 at 3:20ampost #1002 of 271452/3/14 at 3:34amThread Starterpost #1003 of 271452/3/14 at 4:03ampost #1004 of 271452/3/14 at 4:24am
Did you try the next size up? I don't think these NM or SFA sales people were doing you any favors here.
You don't have a clean shoulder line so I suppose a more structured shoulder might help, but that isn't what is jumping out at me. You are not getting a clean curve as the shoulder goes to the arm, though that might be in part because of your bulging bicep--stop working out! Those aren't divots at the shoulder, I think, but they aren't clean (see pingson in HOF for a recent clean look I just saw).
The lines of your lapel collar seem to bulge a bit (not a straight, sharp V, more closer to a "U") so perhaps that is why Mimo suggested the chest doesn't fit you and it is why I asked about sizing up. That said, always hard to judge from a shot. We live in jackets after all, move in them.
Post in the tailor's thread for more on what you might be able to do. Despos is hanging out there these days, and you're not going to find a more knowledgeable source on tailoring right now in SF.
Oh, and that gray suit on the last page looks like &)*()^&*! Is that what they are peddling to those of means? Yikes. Go NMWA for sure.
Edit: again my fact I console myself with all the time in my own case--Just about everyone else outside of SF will think you look great.post #1005 of 271452/3/14 at 5:18am
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Viberg for Styleforum GMTO Pre-orders, Round 2, 2015 - Pay to vote... 1 minute ago
- › Motorcycles 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 6 minutes ago
- › The joke thread 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 10 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 11 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 11 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...