Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
Related Forum Threads
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - 80+ Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! Last post on 5/5/12 at 7:39am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:47 am in Classic Menswear
- Dark shirt on dark suit? Last post on 8/25/11 at 2:32pm in Classic Menswear
- Going to a wedding: Need help picking outfit! Last post on 8/10/11 at 11:35am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gagliano & Company
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Urban Fine Socks
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 67post #991 of 184472/2/14 at 8:41pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #992 of 184472/2/14 at 9:53pmpost #993 of 184472/2/14 at 9:54pmpost #994 of 184472/2/14 at 10:21pmpost #995 of 184472/2/14 at 11:26pmpost #996 of 184472/3/14 at 12:06ampost #997 of 184472/3/14 at 2:28am
If you want a pattern on grey, get a pin or chalk stripe on a mid grey or charcoal.
Otherwise, there's nothing at all wrong with a solid suit, provided you add the visual interest to break it up elsewhere: you now have nice ties to do just that. Nailheads, herringbones, nice nappy flannels for the winter, all good ways of adding some texture while remaining formal. But keep it simple. That designer suit you just posted has such a shouty pattern it actually looks cheap. And if you have to go around at work saying "yeah but it's Isaia", then it's a big fail. A shockingly, unnecessarily, wastefully expensive one too.
Go. And. Try. Some. Stuff. On.
And it would be fun if you posted some trying-stuff-on pics. That's your homework for Saturday. Take your beloved too, if you can. She should by now be willing to tell you whether you look stupid. And can also take pictures. And girls are programmed to be happy going shopping without buying anything. And DON'T buy anything. Come back with pics, and we will programme you too. :)post #998 of 184472/3/14 at 2:42amShe also happened to study fashion and it surprised me to hear her say some of the same things that u guys have said, ie on neats and how it looks mature while looking like a grandpa's tie.
Ugh...if I go with another solid, even if it is grey, I think I will puke. I have too many solids. The designers like Zegna and Isaia have really bad fitting pictures but it's actually different when you try it on. I shall do some try-on-and-take-pix if I have some time this weekend.
So did I effup this purchase? It's already a water ubder the bridge but this Isaia was one that I purchased couple months ago...at full pricepost #999 of 184472/3/14 at 2:57am
It's OK, but not very businessy. And I'm afraid that trendy pattern makes it look cheap. It doesn't fit you well in the chest either. I mean, it's not like it's a bad suit. But you would look better in one a third of the price with a more professional look that fits you better.
Go and try some stuff on.post #1000 of 184472/3/14 at 3:06ampost #1001 of 184472/3/14 at 3:20ampost #1002 of 184472/3/14 at 3:34amThread Starterpost #1003 of 184472/3/14 at 4:03ampost #1004 of 184472/3/14 at 4:24am
Did you try the next size up? I don't think these NM or SFA sales people were doing you any favors here.
You don't have a clean shoulder line so I suppose a more structured shoulder might help, but that isn't what is jumping out at me. You are not getting a clean curve as the shoulder goes to the arm, though that might be in part because of your bulging bicep--stop working out! Those aren't divots at the shoulder, I think, but they aren't clean (see pingson in HOF for a recent clean look I just saw).
The lines of your lapel collar seem to bulge a bit (not a straight, sharp V, more closer to a "U") so perhaps that is why Mimo suggested the chest doesn't fit you and it is why I asked about sizing up. That said, always hard to judge from a shot. We live in jackets after all, move in them.
Post in the tailor's thread for more on what you might be able to do. Despos is hanging out there these days, and you're not going to find a more knowledgeable source on tailoring right now in SF.
Oh, and that gray suit on the last page looks like &)*()^&*! Is that what they are peddling to those of means? Yikes. Go NMWA for sure.
Edit: again my fact I console myself with all the time in my own case--Just about everyone else outside of SF will think you look great.post #1005 of 184472/3/14 at 5:18am
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 5 seconds ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe - Official Affiliate Thread 17 seconds ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 29 seconds ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 30 seconds ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 36 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 46 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...
- › Sneakers for Boot People
- › The Pleasures and Perils of the Long Coat
- › Professor Fabulous Returns to the Closet
- › Why Styleforum Matters
- › The Pittilogues: Pitti Uomo 87, Day 0
- › The Styleforum Brief: December 2014
- › What I Learned from Slim Denim
- › How to Smell Fabulous for the Holidays