Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14More
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:30 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists Last post on Today at 9:18 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) Last post on Today at 7:04 pm in Classic Menswear
- The Grad Lounge Last post on 2/22/15 at 7:08am in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - SHIRTS, SHIRTS, SHIRTS - 80+ Shirts for Sale - Every Size!!! Last post on 5/5/12 at 7:39am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What is Styleforum Wearing: 10.30.12Last edited: 1/4/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 648post #9706 of 200048/5/14 at 5:41am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #9707 of 200048/5/14 at 5:50ampost #9708 of 200048/5/14 at 5:59ampost #9709 of 200048/5/14 at 6:01amQuote:
Depends on body type (length/weight ratio) and shoe size, IMO. I have small feet, so I use 7"post #9710 of 200048/5/14 at 6:05ampost #9711 of 200048/5/14 at 6:10ampost #9712 of 200048/5/14 at 6:37amQuote:
Based on everyone's response (all good advice), let us know your body type and shoe size and we may be able to guide you more accuratelypost #9713 of 200048/5/14 at 6:39amQuote:
I find that depends somewhat on the size of the shoes I like to wear with the suit.post #9714 of 200048/5/14 at 6:45am
Okay thanks guys!
For reference, I'm 5'10 and about 165 lbs. I'm a 40-42 jacket depending on the cut and a 30-32 inch waist. So about 10 drop.
I wear an 8E/8.5D shoe, so I have relatively small feet for my body. I guess I should stick to around 8-8.5 in that case? I think the 7.5 I have looks great, but it seems small for a suit, no?
I'm probably going to get the pants cuffed if there's enough fabric. I like the break way better that way and prefer one break/no break.post #9715 of 200048/5/14 at 6:50am
We're not too far apart. I'd suggest 7.75-8.25 inches as your sweet spot. I think 8.5 inches will be too big through the leg. In my view, you want to cover enough of the shoe so that it some of the laces are visible but doesn't look like duck feet. I've found 8 inches a good compromise (9D, 6 feet, 33 waist, 38R). 7.75 is pushing it for trousers with coat/tie for me but for casual wear, I think it would be fine.
Here's a pic albeit with unfinished pants not fully pulled tight to the shoe with a 7.75 inch trouser opening. I'd go no smaller.
Of course, will depend on the shoe, outfit, casual versus formal etc. Trimmer for causal I'd say.post #9716 of 200048/5/14 at 6:51ampost #9717 of 200048/5/14 at 6:54ampost #9718 of 200048/5/14 at 6:59ampost #9719 of 200048/5/14 at 7:10ampost #9720 of 200048/5/14 at 7:47amQuote:
Noodals, c'mon man start hitting that gym! I'm still gaining weight but going to slow down for now while I prepare for interviews.
As for the tailor, I like a local seamstress. She does good work and works with me to get the results I need and the prices are reasonable. This is a navy brooks brothers golden fleece suit that I bought from someone on here. The leg opening is 9.25 and the thigh is like 13.25. I'm going to have it slimmed down a bit on the waist and all the way through. The jacket fits beautifully, might be a touch big on the shoulders (19 inches), but I can move way more freely in it than others in the 18-18.5 range I have. I also expect to put on some more mass on my shoulders over the next couple of months, which is why I sized up slightly!
I'm going to have the waist slimmed a hair and it'll be purrrfect :)
Now to find a new home for the BB suit I outgrew heh.
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › What hairstyle should I get 7 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 9 minutes ago
- › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask... 9 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 12 minutes ago
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 15 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 17 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 17 minutes ago
- › Sole Welting 22 minutes ago
- › New Vass Old English II Green Musuem F Last Size 43, 3 piece trees... 25 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 29 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...