Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15More
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:09 pm in Classic Menswear
- Ragged (!) Trousered Philanthropists Last post on Today at 11:58 am in Classic Menswear
- Harris Tweed wool jackets - various mens sizes / styles for sale Last post on 8/24/11 at 8:36pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Going to a wedding: Need help picking outfit! Last post on 8/10/11 at 11:35am in Classic Menswear
- MEGATHREAD - LOTS & LOTS of SUITS, BLAZERS, COATS / JACKETS - 50+ Items - All Sizes in Size... Last post on 3/3/12 at 7:15pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best White Shirt for Your...Last edited: 3/10/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 648post #9706 of 214378/5/14 at 5:41am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #9707 of 214378/5/14 at 5:50ampost #9708 of 214378/5/14 at 5:59ampost #9709 of 214378/5/14 at 6:01amQuote:
Depends on body type (length/weight ratio) and shoe size, IMO. I have small feet, so I use 7"post #9710 of 214378/5/14 at 6:05ampost #9711 of 214378/5/14 at 6:10ampost #9712 of 214378/5/14 at 6:37amQuote:
Based on everyone's response (all good advice), let us know your body type and shoe size and we may be able to guide you more accuratelypost #9713 of 214378/5/14 at 6:39amQuote:
I find that depends somewhat on the size of the shoes I like to wear with the suit.post #9714 of 214378/5/14 at 6:45am
Okay thanks guys!
For reference, I'm 5'10 and about 165 lbs. I'm a 40-42 jacket depending on the cut and a 30-32 inch waist. So about 10 drop.
I wear an 8E/8.5D shoe, so I have relatively small feet for my body. I guess I should stick to around 8-8.5 in that case? I think the 7.5 I have looks great, but it seems small for a suit, no?
I'm probably going to get the pants cuffed if there's enough fabric. I like the break way better that way and prefer one break/no break.post #9715 of 214378/5/14 at 6:50am
We're not too far apart. I'd suggest 7.75-8.25 inches as your sweet spot. I think 8.5 inches will be too big through the leg. In my view, you want to cover enough of the shoe so that it some of the laces are visible but doesn't look like duck feet. I've found 8 inches a good compromise (9D, 6 feet, 33 waist, 38R). 7.75 is pushing it for trousers with coat/tie for me but for casual wear, I think it would be fine.
Here's a pic albeit with unfinished pants not fully pulled tight to the shoe with a 7.75 inch trouser opening. I'd go no smaller.
Of course, will depend on the shoe, outfit, casual versus formal etc. Trimmer for causal I'd say.post #9716 of 214378/5/14 at 6:51ampost #9717 of 214378/5/14 at 6:54ampost #9718 of 214378/5/14 at 6:59ampost #9719 of 214378/5/14 at 7:10ampost #9720 of 214378/5/14 at 7:47amQuote:
Noodals, c'mon man start hitting that gym! I'm still gaining weight but going to slow down for now while I prepare for interviews.
As for the tailor, I like a local seamstress. She does good work and works with me to get the results I need and the prices are reasonable. This is a navy brooks brothers golden fleece suit that I bought from someone on here. The leg opening is 9.25 and the thigh is like 13.25. I'm going to have it slimmed down a bit on the waist and all the way through. The jacket fits beautifully, might be a touch big on the shoulders (19 inches), but I can move way more freely in it than others in the 18-18.5 range I have. I also expect to put on some more mass on my shoulders over the next couple of months, which is why I sized up slightly!
I'm going to have the waist slimmed a hair and it'll be purrrfect :)
Now to find a new home for the BB suit I outgrew heh.
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 5 seconds ago
- › Should I get these Paul Smith shoes? 1 minute ago
- › NBA 2014-2015 Season Thread 1 minute ago
- › NWT 42R CORNELIANI blue sport coat - SOFT TAILORING 1 minute ago
- › My wedding... 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 3 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 4 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 5 minutes ago
- › What did you eat last night for dinner? 6 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...