Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14More
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:14 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on Yesterday at 7:39 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 30, 2015 Last post on 4/12/15 at 4:06pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 35post #511 of 267271/26/14 at 10:37am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #512 of 267271/26/14 at 5:37pmpost #513 of 267271/26/14 at 11:41pm
This is supposed to be about Noodles buying, not other people selling!
On which point, Noodles was advised to buy this wool challis from Drake's - in the sale too. He prevaricated as usual, so I bought it myself.
It looks a little bright in the pic, washed out by the sun (shirt is blue). But...yeah, you snooze you lose, Noodles....post #514 of 267271/27/14 at 5:44ampost #515 of 267271/27/14 at 5:46amQuote:
Roodals you need to buck up and make some choices! Life moves pretty fast. If you don't turn around and buy some ties, you could miss it.
What's in your tie collection right now? Just the navy ties?post #516 of 267271/27/14 at 5:54amQuote:
I think I had asked jrd to post his ties here for sale first, to give the participants first dibs so to speak, including Noodles. I don't mind it, a nice way to promote camaraderie in a matter of speaking. Of course, I wouldn't want this to be a B&S thread (which is not the point), but if the main posters (yourself included) want to get rid of a few quality ties that are in the spirit of the tastes being promoted by the thread, then I say go for it. Subscribers here are, I think, interested in talking about quality ties as well, in the context of helping a member build a good collection.
BTW: Nice tie! Noodles, can we get an update on what you have purchased, and perhaps what you are thinking you might purchase? A state of the union, so to speak?post #517 of 267271/27/14 at 5:58amQuote:
I think he has a ring to consider, which we can agree has a priority. But there were some nice pieces for sale at ET, Drakes, NMWA etc. this season weren't there?
Actually, the participants in the thread might, I suppose, have their own reports about, say a couple of choice selections acquired this season? Even if they won't go with Noodle's blue suit basis, one can learn from examples that DON'T work with his work attire. Negative lessons are good too. So is show and tell.post #518 of 267271/27/14 at 6:26ampost #519 of 267271/27/14 at 6:28amQuote:
I heard that stitchy wants to do noodles a solid. He has generously offered to fund the purchase of 20 EG Cappelli 7-fold ties for noodles.
So, so generous. You're a mensch, stitchy!post #520 of 267271/27/14 at 6:34amQuote:
That stitch, what a Mensch!post #521 of 267271/27/14 at 6:43ampost #522 of 267271/27/14 at 7:50am
Yes, I stopped eating out, I walk to work, I don't drink, I don't even help out the homeless guy on my way to work, AND I don't buy ties for the engagement ring. I guess I can get at least one here and there but It's just not the right time right now. I am proposing this April and she's already decided on the shape and setting. I am afraid what carrot size she will pick...post #523 of 267271/27/14 at 8:57amQuote:
I appreciate dramatic hyperbole as much as the next guy, but I would suggest that when it comes to spots, it's all about the precise relationship between the size of the spots, their spacing and the arrangement. Taking a few examples I've pulled off the net, all in b&w for comparison (obviously IRL, the choice of fore- and background colours makes a big difference as well):
Clearly easy to integrate into many outfits (aka the pindot):
Also classic I think, but hard enough to need some thought as to the shirt & suit choice:
Wider spacing with those bigger spots makes the task a little easier, by balancing out the overall visual impact of pattern (also used in my fit today, which is partly what reminded me to come back here to reply to your post):
Close spacing with large polka dots are easiest when used within a 3pc, esp. within a somewhat retro psychedelic fit. Could fall into your designated clown territory depending on colours and overall outfit.
Really difficult to integrate into an outfit, and probably almost impossible, are very closely spaced spots, whether large or small:
Note also that all of the above have the spots arranged diagonally rather than perpendicularly. As discussed in a separate thread recently, I think this makes any geometric pattern look much easier on the eye (and therefore easier to integrate into an outfit) compared to a grid layout.post #524 of 267271/27/14 at 9:40am
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › Club Monaco: Adventures in decent clothing and horrible marketing 17 seconds ago
- › Viberg Boots 1 minute ago
- › The GQ Fit (I want it as tight as possible without cutting off... 2 minutes ago
- › Kent Wang - Affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › ALDEN boots for sale! One pair Shell Cordovan and one Reverse... 3 minutes ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Oak Street Bootmakers Field Boot - 7.5 4 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 6 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...