True, go big or go home.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14More
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:01 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on Today at 8:38 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 30, 2015 Last post on 4/12/15 at 4:06pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 73post #1081 of 266782/3/14 at 8:58am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #1082 of 266782/3/14 at 8:59ampost #1083 of 266782/3/14 at 9:01ampost #1084 of 266782/3/14 at 9:02amQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
F is gorgeous, but this is a budapester in pebble grain from Vass. I think a more classic Hungarian last is the way to go - camp it up a bit. On an austerity brogue in museum calf, F would be beautiful. But this is a chunky shoe in country leather, so the P2 (which is already watered-down a touch in that it has a more extended toe than the really traditional ones) is the man for the job I think: go Hungarian, go seriously Hungarian I say.
Thanks uncle mimo! I have confidence in P2 now!post #1085 of 266782/3/14 at 9:03ampost #1086 of 266782/3/14 at 9:04ampost #1087 of 266782/3/14 at 9:06ampost #1088 of 266782/3/14 at 9:08ampost #1089 of 266782/3/14 at 9:09ampost #1090 of 266782/3/14 at 9:10ampost #1091 of 266782/3/14 at 9:12ampost #1092 of 266782/3/14 at 9:16ampost #1093 of 266782/3/14 at 9:20ampost #1094 of 266782/3/14 at 9:28amQuote:Originally Posted by jrd617
I'm about to place an order for a MTO "Budapester" model wingtip derby from Vass. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)It will have a dainite sole for durability. (For those of you keeping score on retail price, this will be a full-retail purchase )
I intend to wear this shoe with casual sportcoats and slacks. I already own a brown wingtip in cordovan. (RL Marlow)
The two parameters I'm having trouble deciding on are:
1). Last ("F" last vs. the "P2"/"New Peter" last)-F last is sleeker
-P2 is rounder
2). Material (dark brown boxcalf vs. dark brown pebble grain).
See circled in red
At the moment I am leaning towards a P2 shoe with brown pebble grain. The brown pebble / dainite sole has been called "bombproof" in the Vass thread. I think it would make a good all-weather shoe. (Rain or shine, sleet or snow). I'm leaning towards the P2 because it's not as sleek/formal as the F last.
What do you all think?
Here's what a P2 shoe looks like brown cordovan. (I would be getting the same color shoe in calf)
Here's an F last oxford wingtip in a lighter brown calf ("antique cognac), and a rough estimation of what a shoe in full brown pebble would look like (right):
Be careful of the dark brown calf. They aren't kidding when they say it's dark. In good light, it looks brown, but in low light it's pretty close to black. Also, P2 for that shoe.
Dark brown River II austerity brogue:
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
Styleforum Top Picks
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Currently, there are 1211 Active Users (254 Members and 957 Guests)
- › Ring Jacket Japan 21 seconds ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 1 minute ago
- › Gustin - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Official VINTAGE T SHIRT KNOWLEDGE THREAD. 6 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 9 minutes ago
- › + DRIES VAN NOTEN + 14 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 17 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...