True, go big or go home.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:31 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 73post #1081 of 340712/3/14 at 8:58am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #1082 of 340712/3/14 at 8:59ampost #1083 of 340712/3/14 at 9:01ampost #1084 of 340712/3/14 at 9:02amQuote:Originally Posted by mimo
F is gorgeous, but this is a budapester in pebble grain from Vass. I think a more classic Hungarian last is the way to go - camp it up a bit. On an austerity brogue in museum calf, F would be beautiful. But this is a chunky shoe in country leather, so the P2 (which is already watered-down a touch in that it has a more extended toe than the really traditional ones) is the man for the job I think: go Hungarian, go seriously Hungarian I say.
Thanks uncle mimo! I have confidence in P2 now!post #1085 of 340712/3/14 at 9:03ampost #1086 of 340712/3/14 at 9:04ampost #1087 of 340712/3/14 at 9:06ampost #1088 of 340712/3/14 at 9:08ampost #1089 of 340712/3/14 at 9:09ampost #1090 of 340712/3/14 at 9:10ampost #1091 of 340712/3/14 at 9:12ampost #1092 of 340712/3/14 at 9:16ampost #1093 of 340712/3/14 at 9:20ampost #1094 of 340712/3/14 at 9:28amQuote:Originally Posted by jrd617
I'm about to place an order for a MTO "Budapester" model wingtip derby from Vass. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)It will have a dainite sole for durability. (For those of you keeping score on retail price, this will be a full-retail purchase )
I intend to wear this shoe with casual sportcoats and slacks. I already own a brown wingtip in cordovan. (RL Marlow)
The two parameters I'm having trouble deciding on are:
1). Last ("F" last vs. the "P2"/"New Peter" last)-F last is sleeker
-P2 is rounder
2). Material (dark brown boxcalf vs. dark brown pebble grain).
See circled in red
At the moment I am leaning towards a P2 shoe with brown pebble grain. The brown pebble / dainite sole has been called "bombproof" in the Vass thread. I think it would make a good all-weather shoe. (Rain or shine, sleet or snow). I'm leaning towards the P2 because it's not as sleek/formal as the F last.
What do you all think?
Here's what a P2 shoe looks like brown cordovan. (I would be getting the same color shoe in calf)
Here's an F last oxford wingtip in a lighter brown calf ("antique cognac), and a rough estimation of what a shoe in full brown pebble would look like (right):
Be careful of the dark brown calf. They aren't kidding when they say it's dark. In good light, it looks brown, but in low light it's pretty close to black. Also, P2 for that shoe.
Dark brown River II austerity brogue:
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
Styleforum Top Picks
- Autumn Fabrics: Tweed
Currently, there are 972 Active Users (167 Members and 805 Guests)
- › Recommend a good paring knife 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Balmoral Boot Porn 7 minutes ago
- › Random food thoughts - Street edition 10 minutes ago
- › BASICALLY GIVING THIS AWAY: Eidos Napoli Tipo Teal/Char-Brown Linen... 11 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 17 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 18 minutes ago
- › Rubber soled shoes 20 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 22 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 23 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?