Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:47 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 67post #991 of 373962/2/14 at 8:41pmThread Starterpost #992 of 373962/2/14 at 9:53pmpost #993 of 373962/2/14 at 9:54pmpost #994 of 373962/2/14 at 10:21pmpost #995 of 373962/2/14 at 11:26pmpost #996 of 373962/3/14 at 12:06ampost #997 of 373962/3/14 at 2:28am
If you want a pattern on grey, get a pin or chalk stripe on a mid grey or charcoal.
Otherwise, there's nothing at all wrong with a solid suit, provided you add the visual interest to break it up elsewhere: you now have nice ties to do just that. Nailheads, herringbones, nice nappy flannels for the winter, all good ways of adding some texture while remaining formal. But keep it simple. That designer suit you just posted has such a shouty pattern it actually looks cheap. And if you have to go around at work saying "yeah but it's Isaia", then it's a big fail. A shockingly, unnecessarily, wastefully expensive one too.
Go. And. Try. Some. Stuff. On.
And it would be fun if you posted some trying-stuff-on pics. That's your homework for Saturday. Take your beloved too, if you can. She should by now be willing to tell you whether you look stupid. And can also take pictures. And girls are programmed to be happy going shopping without buying anything. And DON'T buy anything. Come back with pics, and we will programme you too. :)post #998 of 373962/3/14 at 2:42amShe also happened to study fashion and it surprised me to hear her say some of the same things that u guys have said, ie on neats and how it looks mature while looking like a grandpa's tie.
Ugh...if I go with another solid, even if it is grey, I think I will puke. I have too many solids. The designers like Zegna and Isaia have really bad fitting pictures but it's actually different when you try it on. I shall do some try-on-and-take-pix if I have some time this weekend.
So did I effup this purchase? It's already a water ubder the bridge but this Isaia was one that I purchased couple months ago...at full pricepost #999 of 373962/3/14 at 2:57am
It's OK, but not very businessy. And I'm afraid that trendy pattern makes it look cheap. It doesn't fit you well in the chest either. I mean, it's not like it's a bad suit. But you would look better in one a third of the price with a more professional look that fits you better.
Go and try some stuff on.post #1000 of 373962/3/14 at 3:06ampost #1001 of 373962/3/14 at 3:20ampost #1002 of 373962/3/14 at 3:34amThread Starterpost #1003 of 373962/3/14 at 4:03ampost #1004 of 373962/3/14 at 4:24am
Did you try the next size up? I don't think these NM or SFA sales people were doing you any favors here.
You don't have a clean shoulder line so I suppose a more structured shoulder might help, but that isn't what is jumping out at me. You are not getting a clean curve as the shoulder goes to the arm, though that might be in part because of your bulging bicep--stop working out! Those aren't divots at the shoulder, I think, but they aren't clean (see pingson in HOF for a recent clean look I just saw).
The lines of your lapel collar seem to bulge a bit (not a straight, sharp V, more closer to a "U") so perhaps that is why Mimo suggested the chest doesn't fit you and it is why I asked about sizing up. That said, always hard to judge from a shot. We live in jackets after all, move in them.
Post in the tailor's thread for more on what you might be able to do. Despos is hanging out there these days, and you're not going to find a more knowledgeable source on tailoring right now in SF.
Oh, and that gray suit on the last page looks like &)*()^&*! Is that what they are peddling to those of means? Yikes. Go NMWA for sure.
Edit: again my fact I console myself with all the time in my own case--Just about everyone else outside of SF will think you look great.post #1005 of 373962/3/14 at 5:18am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › New Bespoke Oxxford Gold Coast Super 150s Navy Blue Pants 34.5 16 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 16 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 20 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 25 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 26 minutes ago
- › Affordable and minimalist timepieces by MAVEN WATCHES 27 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 37 minutes ago
- › Lets talk about COFFEE 39 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...