Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:05 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 621post #9301 of 376547/29/14 at 6:38ampost #9302 of 376547/29/14 at 7:15ampost #9303 of 376547/29/14 at 7:21ampost #9304 of 376547/29/14 at 7:31ampost #9305 of 376547/29/14 at 7:52ampost #9306 of 376547/29/14 at 7:52ampost #9307 of 376547/29/14 at 8:29ampost #9308 of 376547/29/14 at 8:40ampost #9309 of 376547/29/14 at 8:47am^ That's the thing, you're looking at it in the wrong way. You don't "dress up" by wearing a suit since you have to wear a tie daily. Just take off your jacket as soon as you get into the office in the morning if you want.
"Dressing down" by wearing a tie but no jacket isn't dressing down. It's a bad look and as you've found out today also impractical.post #9310 of 376547/29/14 at 8:51amQuote:Originally Posted by Sotiris
^ That's the thing, you're looking at it in the wrong way. You don't "dress up" by wearing a suit since you have to wear a tie daily. Just take off your jacket as soon as you get into the office in the morning if you want.
"Dressing down" by wearing a tie but no jacket isn't dressing down. It's a bad look and as you've found out today also impractical.
Fudge. Lesson well learned. I need to fix this!post #9311 of 376547/29/14 at 8:57am
Does your office really have a dress code that says you must wear a suit, no odd jackets are allowed BUT you can go to the office in shirtsleeves?
This is really simple, and for someone who spends this much time on SF and has a whole thread devoted to members helping him, you should know this already:
If you are supposed to wear a suit most days, do so.
On days you don't, wear grey odd trousers. You shouldn't really need to own/wear any other color for the office.
Buy a fucking blue odd jacket and leave it on the back of your office door so you don't look like a gomer in the event you forget a meeting in your schedule, like today.
Done.post #9312 of 376547/29/14 at 9:08am
The blue odd jacket to hang in the office is a good idea. During the summer I always kept an odd jacket and a couple of ties in my office when I worked at the US Treasury, where culture dictates ties and jackets for all meetings but also permits just shirt and trousers between Memorial Day and Labor Day.post #9313 of 376547/29/14 at 9:09amQuote:Originally Posted by Academic2
(2) The trend for broadcast news to think of itself as entertainment rather than journalism has deepened and accelerated. Print (real or electronic) is where serious journalism is making its last stand, and even there cutbacks in editorial staff have resulted in a decline in the quality of writing, even in top-tier papers.
truth. This drives me crazy. It's like a circus act instead of news. Chicago's WGN in the morning is a prime example if anyone catches it. I will say that Erin McElroy is it easy on the eyes though.post #9314 of 376547/29/14 at 9:28ampost #9315 of 376547/29/14 at 9:31amQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
Alright. Uh. So. Serious question. How has America changed since 2009. Y'all's needs to help me with reverse culture shock. I've spent about 2 weeks back in the US in the last 5 and a half years. So. Uh. I know everything revolves around smartphones now, like with apps telling people what's hip and shit. And I see a lot of weird haircuts on dudes with the sides all short and the top all Mad Men. And beards, I guess, are a thing? Do people still wear skinny jeans?
But yeah. Let me know what has changed.
This forum will probably have helped a lot already. It's pretty much my only link to the Western World (besides the Economist. My sweet, sweet Economist)
they passed laws allowing people to smoke that weed and allowing attractive women to roam topless.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Taylor Stitch - Official Affiliate Thread 54 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 3 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 3 minutes ago
- › Vancouver SF meetup -- proposed 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 8 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 9 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 11 minutes ago
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...