or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 612

post #9166 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I don't think 7 fold ties are worth the premium. To me, the value of the tie is mostly in the design and color, not in construction.

i think this is maybe true, and if i like a tie, i wont turn it down just for being a 3 fold, but i will still usually opt for the 6 or 7 fold if its an option. i just like them, and i cant think of a 6/7 fold i have that ties a bad knot.
post #9167 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbayvip View Post

You, Sir, are quite right! I am in no way an expert, just a simple, somewhat confused tie-wearer….just trying to find out whether a price premium is worth anything. I am going to spend the money  anyway, just contemplating should I buy five standard ties, or three 7-folds (for the same price).

smile.gif

I have Cappelli ties

Go for 5 ties, they will tie beautifully
post #9168 of 37438

Wait, passigio cravate is over? What?

post #9169 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i think this is maybe true, and if i like a tie, i wont turn it down just for being a 3 fold, but i will still usually opt for the 6 or 7 fold if its an option. i just like them, and i cant think of a 6/7 fold i have that ties a bad knot.

I would be much obliged if stitches paid to upgrade all my ties to 6/7 folds. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Wait, passigio cravate is over? What?

I believe they are still around. Just not affiliates.
post #9170 of 37438
Lined 3-fold ties, hand-sewn of quality silk are the best in my opinion.
post #9171 of 37438

6/7 folds are more of a luxury. If you're just building your wardrobe then regular 3 folds are more practical. 

post #9172 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsod View Post

I would be much obliged if stitches paid to upgrade all my ties to 6/7 folds. smile.gif

just send me a PP invoice. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradwu View Post

6/7 folds are more of a luxury. If you're just building your wardrobe then regular 3 folds are more practical. 

this is true.

for me, if im just out tie shopping in a store, or if i see something online, i dont think i have ever passed on something for not being a 7 fold, unless it hit a price point that i felt was not at all justified by the construction, if that really means anything, and tbh, i have paid 7 fold money for 3 folds in the past if i loved the tie. but if i am ordering from hober, or someone who gives the option, 95% ill choose 6/7 fold.
post #9173 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


this is true.

for me, if im just out tie shopping in a store, or if i see something online, i dont think i have ever passed on something for not being a 7 fold, unless it hit a price point that i felt was not at all justified by the construction, if that really means anything, and tbh, i have paid 7 fold money for 3 folds in the past if i loved the tie. but if i am ordering from hober, or someone who gives the option, 95% ill choose 6/7 fold.

Hmm, what was it that Thomas Tusser said about these situations again?
post #9174 of 37438
Cox, the green makes your skin look sallow.
post #9175 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Hmm, what was it that Thomas Tusser said about these situations again?

enlighten me.
post #9176 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Hmm, what was it that Thomas Tusser said about these situations again?

enlighten me.

http://mobile.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thomastuss101875.html

biggrin.gif
post #9177 of 37438
lol8[1].gif

well played.
post #9178 of 37438

@Claghorn and @Betelgeuse, what are your thoughts on Henry Carter's ties?  In particular, how is the knot?  I'm kind of liking this burgundy one that just came in:

 

burgundy-macclesfield-neat.jpg

post #9179 of 37438

Sorry, I'm not Claghorn or Betelgeuse. But generally I've had very good experiences with HC ties and no trouble getting a decent knot. Jason has been in the biz for a while, and seems to have a good eye for fabrics.

 

I didn't buy the geography teacher jacket. Contented myself with a Drake's tie and Ascot pocket square instead.

 

Lately I've been finding that it's a good strategy to walk out of the store and sleep on the decision. If I wake up the next morning and immediately start planning my day around going back to that store, it means I really do want the item in question.

post #9180 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

Sorry, I'm not Claghorn or Betelgeuse. But generally I've had very good experiences with HC ties and no trouble getting a decent knot. Jason has been in the biz for a while, and seems to have a good eye for fabrics.

 

I didn't buy the geography teacher jacket. Contented myself with a Drake's tie and Ascot pocket square instead.

 

Lately I've been finding that it's a good strategy to walk out of the store and sleep on the decision. If I wake up the next morning and immediately start planning my day around going back to that store, it means I really do want the item in question.

 

Thanks, Cox.  The only reason I singled them out was because I recalled them posting pictures involving HC ties.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)