They both look excellent; I like the La Spalla a bit more just based off those two pictures. I'd stick with both as your go to suits.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 11:45 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 580post #8686 of 375367/12/14 at 6:13amThread Starterpost #8687 of 375367/12/14 at 6:21am
Formosa gives you a better shape.
1) sleeve pitch? -- Formosa is clean, SS is off
2) lapels? -- Formosa wide with that uniquely shaped gorge does wonders for a masculine frame
3) lapel roll? -- Formosa 3r2 with those hand-padded lapels
4) buttoning point? -- Formosa is lower creating a better V shape.
5) chest shape? -- Formosa appears to have almost bespoke-quality chest shaping with an already suppressed waist. It will never look as obviously like RTW with the sides taken in by an alterations tailor
6) overall length looks similar so tie (could be photo angle)
Wide lapels, lower button stance, better chest. Overall the Formosa gives you a more classic V shape.
I vote Formosa easily. As for the shoulders, don't think they are con rollino. Greg explained a while back (in the GT thread I think, following Stitches awesome POW suit) that he would not spec roping, and that the shoulder will settle over time.post #8688 of 375367/12/14 at 6:33amBoth of them look good, look different, fits you and a solid base for your wardrobe. It's not a zero sum game, you can get them all.
You need suits that are special and suits you can get down and dirty with, well that's my stand.
Wear the Formosa in good health man, it looks good.
Edited by kulata - 7/12/14 at 3:15pmpost #8689 of 375367/12/14 at 6:42ampost #8690 of 375367/12/14 at 6:49ampost #8691 of 375367/12/14 at 8:30amThey both look great, but I love me some Formosa. Also, the quarters of the Formosa are more open than they look in Noodles pic, here it is on me.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Overall, you should definitely buy those La Spalla as some staple suits. You will have to pre-order Formosa or do MTO to get 50 jacket and 48 trou in the future. No biggie though, I just got in on a MTO. It just means you can't order right from the NMWA site and have it right away. It looks really, really good on you.post #8692 of 375367/12/14 at 9:36ampost #8693 of 375367/12/14 at 9:57amQuote:
10lbs shouldn't cause any major issues. Get a light grey La Spalla...nothing in Formosa's forecast in that fabric.post #8694 of 375367/12/14 at 11:32amWarning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Quote:Originally Posted by Cleav
As a result of this http://www.styleforum.net/t/387153/vintage-like-special-run-garza-to-be-made-by-patrizio-cappelli-3-colourways-already-good-to-go
Received these today, delighted.
New thread here http://www.styleforum.net/t/403427/recreating-a-david-evans-pattern-tie-to-be-made-by-cappelli
I'm in again.
Just if anyone's interested...
Planning to do a rerun on the burgundy special run garza. Please reply here if there's any interest :) http://www.styleforum.net/t/387153/vintage-like-special-run-garza-to-be-made-by-patrizio-cappelli-3-colourways-already-good-to-go/75#post_7249081post #8695 of 375367/12/14 at 3:31pm@ Noodles/Formosa- interesting the comments on the roped shoulder effect, which I too noticed. I just compared a side by side pic of me & Noodles in the same suit, and the roping is less pronounced on me (as it is on Murl above). I wonder if this due to slightly greater shoulder extension for Noodles than it is for either Murl or myself?post #8696 of 375367/12/14 at 3:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by AJL
@ Noodles/Formosa- interesting the comments on the roped shoulder effect, which I too noticed. I just compared a side by side pic of me & Noodles in the same suit, and the roping is less pronounced on me (as it is on Murl above). I wonder if this due to slightly greater shoulder extension for Noodles than it is for either Murl or myself?
Probably a good guess. I think they will settle with wear and look good either way.post #8697 of 375367/12/14 at 3:58pmpost #8698 of 375367/12/14 at 4:48pmpost #8699 of 375367/12/14 at 4:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by europrep
did i read correctly your optimal Formosa combo is the 50R jacket with 50 pants (the pants that come with the 48R suit from NMWA)?
Nope, the pants are tagged 48. They normally come from the 46. The only reason I was able to get them that way was because Greg had extras. Not the case anymore or in the future. MTO or pre-orders only.post #8700 of 375367/12/14 at 5:34pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 14 minutes ago
- › NWT - $6295 Brioni - 40 R / 50 EU -- 97% Cashmere 3% Silk, deep... 14 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 15 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 17 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Definitive Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 20 minutes ago
- › Best fitting "casual" oxford shirts? i.e., able to be worn... 21 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 28 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 45 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 50 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...