or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 539

post #8071 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post
 

 

A gentleman doesn't use ad hominem arguments in order to placate his self serving bias.


Right...I was the one who was self-serving, asking myriad questions to benefit myself and subsequently was told to stop. Don't talk to me anymore - you're derailing the thread.

 

Gents, if anyone can give me his opinion on my question, it'd be much appreciated.

post #8072 of 37429

Let's calm down here guys. 

mariah%2520carey%2520calm%2520down.gif

 

This thread is not a "Ask a Question" thread but more of a thread that has good folks who can help you develop. 

 

@forbritisheyes

I think the recent review on RTW suits by brand should be helpful.  

http://www.styleforum.net/t/386970/largest-ready-to-wear-suit-brand-review-44-brands-by-parisian-gentleman-updated

 

I believe with what you have in your closet, you can go with a brown if you really want a brown. I was at a point where I wanted to add a brown suit. But Canali seems to be the better made suit. 

post #8073 of 37429

On colour and cloth, I'd get the grey one because it's just more wearable in a business sense.  But otherwise, get the one that's nicest i.e. best made, best fit, etc.  And then if you really want a brown suit, go find the best brown suit you can get.  

 

I think it's better that way round - we all do it when we see something for sale; act like it's the only thing in the world for sale and choice is to buy it or not.  It's always worth remembering the third choice: wait and buy something else, that meets all the required criteria.

 

I'm not saying I practice this, but the preaching I'm sure is sound!

post #8074 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

Let's calm down here guys. 

 

This thread is not a "Ask a Question" thread but more of a thread that has good folks who can help you develop. 

 

@forbritisheyes

I think the recent review on RTW suits by brand should be helpful.  

http://www.styleforum.net/t/386970/largest-ready-to-wear-suit-brand-review-44-brands-by-parisian-gentleman-updated

 

I believe with what you have in your closet, you can go with a brown if you really want a brown. I was at a point where I wanted to add a brown suit. But Canali seems to be the better made suit. 

Forgive me, Noodles.

 

That is a great link. I've lurked a ton on the forum since I joined so I know the merits of Canali(which is why I'm having such a hard time choosing). I know Canali is much better made and while the brown is in a great herringbone pattern, I'VE NEVER OWNED A CANALI and want to experience it. But do you think 5 Charcoal is too many? DId you ever end up adding a brown suit to your repertoire?

 

I'm darker than white so I was told it looks good on me :/

post #8075 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

Let's calm down here guys. 

mariah%2520carey%2520calm%2520down.gif

 

This thread is not a "Ask a Question" thread but more of a thread that has good folks who can help you develop. 

 

@forbritisheyes

I think the recent review on RTW suits by brand should be helpful.  

http://www.styleforum.net/t/386970/largest-ready-to-wear-suit-brand-review-44-brands-by-parisian-gentleman-updated

 

I believe with what you have in your closet, you can go with a brown if you really want a brown. I was at a point where I wanted to add a brown suit. But Canali seems to be the better made suit. 

 

1. That is a contradictio in terminis. There's nothing wrong with being inquisitive (which I'm certainly not doing at the moment and I did in the other thread because they were meritorious), but asking stupid questions is a problem. I didn't do the latter.

 

2. Overall, the man's question is arbitrary. It's like asking the guy who vehemently wants to wear suits in college, but makes a thread; and despite being advised not to, still does.

 

EDIT: The response above me proves my point.

post #8076 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbritisheyes View Post
 

Forgive me, Noodles.

 

That is a great link. I've lurked a ton on the forum since I joined so I know the merits of Canali(which is why I'm having such a hard time choosing). I know Canali is much better made and while the brown is in a great herringbone pattern, I'VE NEVER OWNED A CANALI and want to experience it. But do you think 5 Charcoal is too many? DId you ever end up adding a brown suit to your repertoire?

 

I'm darker than white so I was told it looks good on me :/

Nemo hit the nail in the head. Get what fits you best and what you want. Forget about names/brands. 

I think you have enough staples that would allow you to start branching out. If they both fit similarly, I'd pull the trigger on the brown. 

I never got a brown. I hit the restart button on my suit collection. I have to start from scratch. 

post #8077 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

On colour and cloth, I'd get the grey one because it's just more wearable in a business sense.  But otherwise, get the one that's nicest i.e. best made, best fit, etc.  And then if you really want a brown suit, go find the best brown suit you can get.  

 

I think it's better that way round - we all do it when we see something for sale; act like it's the only thing in the world for sale and choice is to buy it or not.  It's always worth remembering the third choice: wait and buy something else, that meets all the required criteria.

 

I'm not saying I practice this, but the preaching I'm sure is sound!


Thank you, mimo. You always give sound advice. And this will be used primarily for business. I did have the fortune of trying on a Canali SC in the 13220 body before. Would be perfect with a tad more suppression,even though members said the 13xxx body is the least suppressed.

 

I'm getting this on eBay(Got the Brown Saxxon already but fond out the inseam is too short so I'll see if there is a solution or not) so unfortunately, I do NOT know whether or not the fabric is durable or one of the softer fabrics since the seller doesn't accept buyer questions/messages(Only put up measurements & other bs, which is fine). I can always return it if need be.

post #8078 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post

I hope you're talking about the two-toned jacket; and not the teal one... :l


well, yes, but you would not catch me in that teal one either.

---

also, note to all, this is the play nice thread. dont make me start deleting posts.
post #8079 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


also, note to all, this is the play nice thread. dont make me start deleting posts.

tumblr_inline_mv1wal5SfE1r81iqr.gif

post #8080 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


well, yes, but you would not catch me in that teal one either.

---

also, note to all, this is the play nice thread. dont make me start deleting posts.

Understood. I just don't understand the merits of the comments on my question when I legitimately was torn between the two suits. It was not arbitrary because I was willing to let more experienced people help me learn from their knowledge and past experiences. Jim Rohn, OPE! Anyhow, I won't do it again, in stitches.

 

Noodles, why'd you have to restart your closet? Was it not middle of the road stuff or weight gain?

 

Mimo actually helped me decide to return the brown(among other issues) as well as my mother; she took over my grandfather's custom clothier business and told me she's not fond of the brown even though the hand is very soft. It's also heavy enough to only be a 2-3 season wool in California. I would LOVE one, but I have read much better stuff about the construction of Canali than what I know and have experienced with BB 1818. In terms of fit, they're the same for me pretty much.

post #8081 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

well, yes, but you would not catch me in that teal one either.

---

also, note to all, this is the play nice thread. dont make me start deleting posts.

Really. What is this, Twit & Twat, show up on different threads and start bickering?
post #8082 of 37429

@in stitches

 

Oh okay. Teal is a color that can't be used a lot of versatility, but I can pull it off with the right colors. So, I understand your post.

 

By the way, I'm not a troll. I don't know everything about menswear, so that's why I ask questions so I won't look like I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Guess what? I used to wear a brown blazer, black dress shirt, black square toed shoes, and pinstripe pants! Yes, I wore this..

 

Thanks to StyleForum, I will never make that same mistake.

post #8083 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbritisheyes View Post
 

 

Noodles, why'd you have to restart your closet? Was it not middle of the road stuff or weight gain?

I think I had crappy suits to start with and these crappy features on the suits were accentuated by my weight gain. 

post #8084 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post


Really. What is this, Twit & Twat, show up on different threads and start bickering?

 

I was about to comment that the good natured portion of this thread was about to be put to the test, but then Stitchie put his foot down.

post #8085 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post
 

 

I was about to comment that the good natured portion of this thread was about to be put to the test, but then Stitchie put his foot down.


Yes, sorry about that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)