or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 515

post #7711 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
This has been Noodles' expression of his own opinion and taste...regardless of how dumb it may sound. 

And now you have some informed reasons to back this up which is to say that you have learned things over the course of 500 pages (as have I).

 

This is a fun thread. I'm glad it exists.

 

And dammit Stitchy...I can't wait!

post #7712 of 37403
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

The only one that comes close is Eidos at $1200, but I understand they're relatively slim/short fitting and you won't get as nice of a shoulder and fabric for that price. If you're really put off by a name, then it means the world of advertising has worked its wonders on you. If you want to you could remove the tiny Suitsupply label and say it was MTM, and no one would ever be the wiser.

 

 

:nodding:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/376461/tira-and-clags-discuss-civilly-ii-brands/0_20

 

(I know Stitchy clarified, but hey. Look at this thread anyway)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 This has been Noodles' expression of his own opinion and taste...regardless of how dumb it may sound. 

:thumbs-up: 

 

 

More on SS:

 

Does Havana have a higher buttoning point than Napoli?

post #7713 of 37403

@Coxsackie I would say no to both you posted.  I do think the Washington cut looks good on you and you should keep it in mind for future purchases.  

post #7714 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post


All of the Stile Latinos I've seen on ebay have very skinny lapels, same with Sartorio. I'm not familiar with the other brands, but I'd add Sartoria Partenopea to that list. They do retail for about $2500-$3500, so it's not exactly a fair comparison.
I was wearing a stile latino linen jacket yesterday and the lapels aren't skinny at all. You won't get super wide lapels i.e. > 4 inches wide, but at least 3.5 inches classic width.
post #7715 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post


I was wearing a stile latino linen jacket yesterday and the lapels aren't skinny at all. You won't get super wide lapels i.e. > 4 inches wide, but at least 3.5 inches classic width.

 

I've only seen them on ebay, so it's an admittedly small sample. Glad to hear they're not too small!

post #7716 of 37403

Good-o, thanks everyone for talking sense.

 

Yes, the cut looks good on me. BUT. Yes, it's already crumpled, straight off the rack like that. Yes, its combination of peak lapels and patch pockets is slightly weird.

 

Two further deal-breakers: 

 

1. I need something extra to take to Russia with me. (In St Petersburg for the next week. Lucky me!) The suit would have been nice. RED FLAG - impulse purchase. Not only that, but my trusted Shanghai tailor just resigned under a cloud - accusations of skulduggery thick in the already-polluted Shanghai air. So I wouldn't be able to get the pents taken in and cuffed in time.

 

2. Can a pale blue textured linen suit ever be part of a serious rotation? No. This would be a "fun" suit. Fuck that.

 

Pass.

post #7717 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

^You need to buy a defunct tailoring house so you have history. ;-)

 

Spoken like a true WIS.

post #7718 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

That's actually a really good idea. Once I've saved up some cash in a couple of years I might just give it a shot.

All of the Stile Latinos I've seen on ebay have very skinny lapels, same with Sartorio. I'm not familiar with the other brands, but I'd add Sartoria Partenopea to that list. They do retail for about $2500-$3500, so it's not exactly a fair comparison.

I've a Sartorio suit w/ 4" lapels. So there.
post #7719 of 37403
On a completely different note, anybody ever tried to shrink a shirt collar: I mean, the collar only? Just did a search and some site (eHow...) suggested placing the collar only in piping hot water in the sink w/ a little liquid detergent for 10 mins, then rinsing it in fresh piping hot water for a few minutes. Then, put on a hanger, blow dry on highest setting, and iron. Sound kooky? Think this could wreck a shirt (an expensive one)?
post #7720 of 37403
^ i wouldnt bother, AJL. Buy a properly fitting shirt
Edited by jrd617 - 6/16/14 at 5:14pm
post #7721 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post

On a completely different note, anybody ever tried to shrink a shirt collar: I mean, the collar only? Just did a search and some site (eHow...) suggested placing the collar only in piping hot water in the sink w/ a little liquid detergent for 10 mins, then rinsing it in fresh piping hot water for a few minutes. Then, put on a hanger, blow dry on highest setting, and iron. Sound kooky? Think this could wreck a shirt (an expensive one)?


Is the collar too big? Why wouldn't this cause puckering where the collar and shirt body are joined, i.e. one part shrinks but the part it is sewn on doesn't? I have no experience, but it seems ill advised.

post #7722 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

 

Fast forward to the present, I hate Zegna. Overpriced and they have gotten caught up in fashion trend. Every time I go there just to take a peep, I hate their narrow lapel suits. For some reason, they're getting narrower as we speak. AND they have broken that $3,000 mark and so I feel like it is overpriced. Suit Supply? You guys know better than I do, so I'll take your word for it but I just don't want a closet full of SS. When I have some high quality suits, I will get some SS to fill in the gap. This has been Noodles' expression of his own opinion and taste...regardless of how dumb it may sound. 

 

:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 

Cox:

 

Why not save up for B&T? It seems close to the issue Rudals is considering in his SS vs Formosa back and forth. Less is more in this case?

 

Fit is the question. It's easier to see fit if you do a boring robo pose, frontal view, arms to side. You may be, as often is the case I think you said, too tight at the chest. Have you sized up one?

My 2cents.

 

 good sense here.  And I do know what I'm talking about, ask my local Goodwill

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

Good-o, thanks everyone for talking sense.

 

Yes, the cut looks good on me. BUT. Yes, it's already crumpled, straight off the rack like that. Yes, its combination of peak lapels and patch pockets is slightly weird.

 

Two further deal-breakers: 

 

1. I need something extra to take to Russia with me. (In St Petersburg for the next week. Lucky me!) The suit would have been nice. RED FLAG - impulse purchase. Not only that, but my trusted Shanghai tailor just resigned under a cloud - accusations of skulduggery thick in the already-polluted Shanghai air. So I wouldn't be able to get the pents taken in and cuffed in time.

 

2. Can a pale blue textured linen suit ever be part of a serious rotation? No. This would be a "fun" suit. Fuck that.

 

Pass.

 

 

Linen? in Leningrad?  ..

 

 

 

 

Cox at this point u might as well go full bespoke.  All the time.

post #7723 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post


Is the collar too big? Why wouldn't this cause puckering where the collar and shirt body are joined, i.e. one part shrinks but the part it is sewn on doesn't? I have no experience, but it seems ill advised.
Fair point. Probably is ill advised, just wondering if anybody had tried anything like this.
post #7724 of 37403

What kind of briefcases do you guys have? I just bought this slim La Portegna case. I don't carry much stuff around, so a big bulky briefcase seemed a bit unwieldy. 

 

post #7725 of 37403

I need a suede penny loafer, preferably snuff or tobacco. Any suggestions please? A snuff suede Carmina string loafer has gotten me full on addicted to suede loafers. Help lead me to financial ruin. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)