Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:07 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 500post #7487 of 373966/12/14 at 8:38ampost #7488 of 373966/12/14 at 8:40amI used to have three pairs of AE and now I have one pair I'm trying to sell....black Cliftons anyone? They are decent shoes for the prices, but I'm not crazy about the lasts either. I would rather pay an extra $100 for Carmina or even less for Meermin (even with their imperfections). Also, AE quality today is nowhere near what it was 3-4 years ago.post #7489 of 373966/12/14 at 8:41amThread Starterpost #7490 of 373966/12/14 at 8:44ampost #7491 of 373966/12/14 at 8:52amQuote:Originally Posted by Murlsquirl
I used to have three pairs of AE and now I have one pair I'm trying to sell....black Cliftons anyone? They are decent shoes for the prices, but I'm not crazy about the lasts either. I would rather pay an extra $100 for Carmina or even less for Meermin (even with their imperfections). Also, AE quality today is nowhere near what it was 3-4 years ago.
I've been replacing my AE's with Carmina as well. The only AE's I still have in my rotation are a pair of chukka boots, brown shell loafers and walnut Strands.post #7492 of 373966/12/14 at 9:02am
The great thing about AE is that they are available from the outlet from $99. If you want a serviceable GY shoe for little money, pretty much all are available sub $200 at some point. I even got some cordovan NSTs that are surprisingly elegant on the ugly AE last - something about the style - for $249 in last summer's sale. There are plenty of cordovan AEs around for $399 at any time. Those numbers make perfect sense if you're either building a collection on a limited budget, or padding out the good stuff with some knockabout beaters.
The other great thing about AE is that they have such a massive range of sizes, even if you're a non-standard size, every half size and width is available even on the discount site, in a massive array of models.
But paying full price for AE is madness - firstly because cut price is so easily available, and secondly because there's just so much more around for that money. $350 buys much more stylish mid-range English makers on sale, for example. And even $200 is a standard Meermin, which although flaky on QC and delivery times, has better leather and prettier lasts.
Anyway, each to his own. I have several AEs and I wear them happily. I might add a pair or two at some point if they fill the right gap at the right price. But if I ever catch you walking into a shop and paying $350 for their standard models, I will poke your eyes out with a shoe horn as you clearly are not using them.post #7493 of 373966/12/14 at 9:34ampost #7494 of 373966/12/14 at 9:36amThread Starterpost #7495 of 373966/12/14 at 9:38ampost #7496 of 373966/12/14 at 9:55ampost #7497 of 373966/12/14 at 9:56ampost #7498 of 373966/12/14 at 9:58ampost #7499 of 373966/12/14 at 10:00amQuote:Originally Posted by mrjester
Any critiques as to why this guy isn't liked? Just the basic white shirt? I know, not right. I can't help but some times like the cleanliness of white.
Here's my take.
Suit - Nice.
Shirt - Seems like it should be ironed, especially the collar and use collar stays.
Tie - The knot is not tight and it is too skinny to complement the wide lapels on your jacket.
PS - I think this can go either way. At least you didn't go with a white linen LOL.post #7500 of 373966/12/14 at 10:04amThread StarterQuote:
C&J Belgrave. Buying them in Korea bumped up the price quite a bit, but it was still cheaper than paying import duty on them. Aren't G&G generally all above $1000? And don't you have, like, 40 of them?
Sometimes I'm tempted to buy lightly worn shoes. But then. Just. Dunno. I'm not against it in principle. I'd just rather know that mine are the only feet that have been in them. After briefly flirting with used jackets, the only clothes I'm really comfortable with wearing used are pocket squares and ties.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › John Lobb Appreciation Thread 19 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 57 seconds ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 58 seconds ago
- › H.N. White - Handmade English Ties - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 5 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 11 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 11 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...