Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 464

post #6946 of 37663
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Floral Printed Silk Tie - Brown - Hand Rolled - 160cm
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Glencheck Woven Silk Tie - Navy / White - Self Tipped

Shibumi. Never checked these guys out. Picked out 2 that will go well with the ill-fitting suits that I currently have. 

post #6947 of 37663

^^^ Those look nice.

post #6948 of 37663

wonder if they do 6 folds

post #6949 of 37663

Word is that the Shibumi knots are a little thin, maybe in part because of the lack of lining. You can sort of see it in those pics. They are beautiful ties and Academic2 posted a really lovely one in the 20 thumbs thread that I covet. But others who have the ties can weigh in.

 

I have to sing the praises of Vandas, though. I own one (a splurge) and if you want to know how a tie drapes beautifully, a simple lesson is to purchase a Vanda (the Holland and Sherry Guncheck, which I own, is simply fantastic). The tie has a substantive 3-dimensional shape, body, but lightness too. The hand rolled edges are lovely. I think they put quite a bit of thought into how the tie drapes, and this determines how they line, number of folds, etc.

 

Hard to describe. You can see mine in my pic in the WAYWRN thread from today. Vanda has a PoW, I believe and some neats as well.

 

Edit: here's the H&S tie

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014/885#post_7175771

 

At Vanda

 

http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/216-h-and-s-blue-gunclub.html

 


Edited by TweedyProf - 6/4/14 at 12:36pm
post #6950 of 37663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 

wonder if they do 6 folds

 

They do, but only in specific ties.  The six folds are listed on the website with the others.

post #6951 of 37663

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 

Word is that the Shibumi knots are a little thin, maybe in part because of the lack of lining. You can sort of see it in those pics. They are beautiful ties and Academic2 posted a really lovely one in the 20 thumbs thread that I covet. But others who have the ties can weigh in.

 

I have to sing the praises of Vandas, though. I own one (a splurge) and if you want to know how a tie drapes beautifully, a simple lesson is to purchase a Vanda (the Holland and Sherry Guncheck, which I own, is simply fantastic). The tie has a substantive 3-dimensional shape, body, but lightness too. The hand rolled edges are lovely. I think they put quite a bit of thought into how the tie drapes, and this determines how they line, number of folds, etc.

 

Hard to describe. You can see mine in my pic in the WAYWRN thread from today. Vanda has a PoW, I believe and some neats as well.

That's pretty funny. I told my k-tripod to pick a nice tie for me and she picked out the PoW from Vanda. 

If Shibumi ties are indeed thin, then I cannot sport them. Even Drake ties are too thin for me. 

post #6952 of 37663
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 

Word is that the Shibumi knots are a little thin, maybe in part because of the lack of lining. You can sort of see it in those pics. They are beautiful ties and Academic2 posted a really lovely one in the 20 thumbs thread that I covet. But others who have the ties can weigh in.

 

I have to sing the praises of Vandas, though. I own one (a splurge) and if you want to know how a tie drapes beautifully, a simple lesson is to purchase a Vanda (the Holland and Sherry Guncheck, which I own, is simply fantastic). The tie has a substantive 3-dimensional shape, body, but lightness too. The hand rolled edges are lovely. I think they put quite a bit of thought into how the tie drapes, and this determines how they line, number of folds, etc.

 

Hard to describe. You can see mine in my pic in the WAYWRN thread from today. Vanda has a PoW, I believe and some neats as well.

 

How's their shipping? Fast/slow?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 

LOL

That's pretty funny. I told my k-tripod to pick a nice tie for me and she picked out the PoW from Vanda. 

If Shibumi ties are indeed thin, then I cannot sport them. Even Drake ties are too thin for me. 

 

I didn't think he meant thin as in width, as you can pick your width with Shibumi.

post #6953 of 37663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

 

How's their shipping? Fast/slow?


Tolerable. They were slow on my tie because they had to make one (there wasn't one handy). So it was freshly made. That slowed things down, but then maybe 8-10 days.

post #6954 of 37663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 

LOL

That's pretty funny. I told my k-tripod to pick a nice tie for me and she picked out the PoW from Vanda. 

If Shibumi ties are indeed thin, then I cannot sport them. Even Drake ties are too thin for me. 


I don't know the width of the blade though I would guess 8cm. It's the knot I was referring to though the shorter blade width typically will lead to a smaller knot, I think, given some standard amount of tapering. You can't go wrong, I think, with the Vanda. Your wife has good taste in ties!

post #6955 of 37663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 

LOL

That's pretty funny. I told my k-tripod to pick a nice tie for me and she picked out the PoW from Vanda.

If Shibumi ties are indeed thin, then I cannot sport them. Even Drake ties are too thin for me.

 

The lining for the Shibumi is what is thin, which results in a smaller knot.  The knot my Shibumi ties is fine, but I like the knots on my Hobers better.

post #6956 of 37663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

LOL
That's pretty funny. I told my k-tripod to pick a nice tie for me and she picked out the PoW from Vanda. 
If Shibumi ties are indeed thin, then I cannot sport them. Even Drake ties are too thin for me. 

This Shibumi shantung's a monster, nothing thin about: http://www.shibumi-berlin.com/Ties/Shantung-Silk-Tie-Brown-Navy-White-Striped::214.html
post #6957 of 37663
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post


This Shibumi shantung's a monster, nothing thin about: http://www.shibumi-berlin.com/Ties/Shantung-Silk-Tie-Brown-Navy-White-Striped::214.html


Yes, that's the one I covet. The knot looks good in Ac2's pic too, though probably due to the coarser material relative to the ties Rudals posted.

post #6958 of 37663

Guys, I was talking about the thickness of the tie...not the width. 

Funny, when I was picturing the best knot, I was picturing Sam Hober grenadine ties. They're the best for me. 

Looks like I'll just order the Vanda PoW along with couple of other ties since it takes awhile for their ties to get here. 

I have ordered 2 ties from Sam Hober but they're moving or something so I don't expect to see them anytime soon. Bummer. 

post #6959 of 37663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putonghua73 View Post

Love your avatar! icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Snap! Glad to see that you followed suit, given the fact that you're Korean icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

/off tangent It took me ages before I forced myself to listen to Gangnam Style. It then took another age before - like Lady Gaga's 'Pokerface' - to admit its genius and pop sensibilities.

/on tangent @Rudals, how many suits do you now own? What styles? Colours?
post #6960 of 37663
K-Pop Talk (Click to show)
I've followed Psy since his first album and Gangnam Style is a bit out of his norm. 

 

My suits? I don't have much.

 

Zegna Torino (Click to show)

 

 

 

Zegna Milano (Click to show)

 

 

 

Zegna Milano 3 Button Trefeo (Click to show)

 

 

 

RLBL (Click to show)

 

 

 

Samsung Galaxy (Seriously) aka Wedding Suit (Click to show)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)