or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 447

post #6691 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post
 

Dear Noodles thread: I wonder if I could get some thoughts on a particular suiting fabric?  

 

Situation is as follows. I work in a CBD environment, so suits most days, but only have two that I really like (a charcoal pinstripe MTM from KW, and a navy chalkstripe flannel).  I am moving to the Middle East this summer, and so have been focusing on climate-appropriate fabrics for my next orders.  

 

The following navy hopsack was suggested, shown here on Kent's site:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

And here on Hudderfield's site: 

 

What are your thoughts on this weave for a suit?  In searching I found a lively discussion (punctuated by Vox-driven asides) here with a diversity of opinions but no really clear conclusions (and mostly dead picture links).  

 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

 

I'd look into fresco if you're going to be living in a warm climate. I think Minnis sends free swatches: https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/22

post #6692 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

 

I'd look into fresco if you're going to be living in a warm climate. I think Minnis sends free swatches: https://shop.hfwltd.com/collection/22

 

Warm is an understatement - high of 108F tomorrow!...and I'm not so balls-out as @Mimo to roll with a three-piece in that weather!

post #6693 of 37429
If these two guys say it's good for a suit, you don't really need any further endorsement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post

I think a good hopsack would make a great suit. If you make it a dark blue BlazerSuit, you could wear the jacket separately with little ill effect. See if Ercole has the 14oz Smiths Steadfast book.

- B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxsartoria View Post
See if Ercole has the 14oz Smiths Steadfast book.

+1
post #6694 of 37429
Minnis fresco navy (like what NMWA stocked this season) and Minnis fresco 511 grey. And/or Minnis fresco 520 Air Force Blue if you want something a little brighter.
post #6695 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

If these two guys say it's good for a suit, you don't really need any further endorsement:
 

 

I'm always a bit uncertain when Vox is being sarcastic - but I take your point that this does seem like an endorsement.

post #6696 of 37429

^^^MF and Sotiris - thanks for the Fresco suggestions!  They actually look similar (perhaps just to noob eyes) to a hopsack, but there's a ton of great patterns in addition to the plain.

post #6697 of 37429

May I interject with a couple of facts :

(1) the herringbone pattern on the Fox flannel is so subtle that most people who see it IRL are asking where is the herringbone

(2) the swatches above called hopsack don't look like hopsack to me.  Hopsack is a 2 x 2 yarn pattern, whereas fresco and other similar 1 x 1 weaves are called simple or plain weave.   Therefore hopsack looks chunkier than plain weave. 

 

[/pedantic mode]

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #6698 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

May I interject with a couple of facts :
(1) the herringbone pattern on the Fox flannel is so subtle that most people who see it IRL are asking where is the herringbone

Kicks self
post #6699 of 37429

New SuitSupply model HAHAHAHAHAHA....

 

 

 

This guy strikes some hilarious poses.

post #6700 of 37429

^ Don't try this at home, kiddies. May induce collar gap.

post #6701 of 37429
Thread Starter 

Isn't there another where he is picking his nails? For some reason, I had the impression that he's one of the higher ups in the company having a laugh.

post #6702 of 37429
He is Jort Kelder, a pretty well known journalist and TV host in the Netherlands.
post #6703 of 37429
Thread Starter 

I'm guessing he has a healthy sense of humor and is an all around good guy?

post #6704 of 37429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I'm guessing he has a healthy sense of humor and is an all around good guy?

Being Dutch, I can tell you opinions are divided. Some think of him like that, just as many think he's an affected attention seeker...
post #6705 of 37429
Don't know anything about him, but if he'd put on slightly wider/longer pants he'd be fine by me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)