or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 40

post #586 of 37405
This thread has inspired me to also buy better ties. Today I purchased ties from Conrad Wu, Henry Carter, and Howard Yount. So thanks radials and everyone else one else for helping him out.
post #587 of 37405
Hmmmm, we've got some work to do Jungle. I do like a handful of those though. Especially the Marinella. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #588 of 37405

This is the amen I'll take part in!

 

post #589 of 37405

I forgot to mention, a couple are my dads old ties from yesteryear so I'll leave you guys to spot those lol.  

post #590 of 37405
Here are the ones I'd consider keeping. Definitely nuke the other ones

avge0x.png
o5vl8z.jpg

By the way, can you reveal the makers of those ties?
post #591 of 37405
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

You're a good sort, Professor.

But the ring budget is a red herring - Stitchy has agreed* to discount the cost of Noodles' first ten SF-approved tie purchases from the price of the ring.




*(I might have dreamed that, but it sounds true).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

I heard that stitchy wants to do noodles a solid. He has generously offered to fund the purchase of 20 EG Cappelli 7-fold ties for noodles.

So, so generous. You're a mensch, stitchy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post

That stitch, what a Mensch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Quote:
2e372he.jpg


what in the eff?!?


---
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Ordered.
IMG_8827_copy_1024x1024.jpg?v=1382248285 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Ordered - 6 folds - Capelli
Twille-silk-printed-76.jpg 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Someone talk me out of these! I am about to pull the trigger on BOTH Sam Hober Grenades!
Grenadine-Fina-Tie-16-600.jpgGrenadine-Fina-Tie-3-600.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Ditch the Sam Hober. I am 90% in on this.
drktie002_5.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

So Drake or the solid burgundy grenadine???
drktie002_5.jpgGrenadine-Fina-Tie-3-600.jpg 

all excellent kops.

btw, this is an awesome tie that everyone should own. mine just arrived today.

http://www.samhober.com/macclesfield-challis-solid-wool-ties/macclesfield-challis-forest-green-solid-wool-tie-7.html


Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

No idea what a Noodles is but this thread has sold a bunch of ties for me, so thanks.

ur welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel View Post

hmm, you guys now have pet names for each other...
I just realized I don't recognize half the people in this thread, I'll ask institches for everyone's dossier and read through them in my spare time.
You guys are recommending ties to him but has anyone mentioned anything about buttoning that top button?

get at me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

In stitches is like the NSA of Styleforum. He knows all. biggrin.gif

i know much, but not all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

But thx to all of you.
Clags
Stitchie
Holdfast
Uncle mimo
Uncle cleav
JRD
Betel
...who I forget?

twas a pleasure.
post #592 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Here are the ones I'd consider keeping. Definitely nuke the other ones
1st row: Woodward?, Suitsupply x4, Tommy Hillfiger, Marinelli, Tattersall
2nd row: POW - Conrad Wu, Tie bar x3, Jesters (last)

avge0x.png

By the way, can you reveal the makers of those ties?

 Edited above in your quote and added one more set of pics in original post.

 

Suit Supply, Conrad Wu, Tie bar, Suit Supply

 

post #593 of 37405
^ Just saw those ties and added what I'd keep.

Not feeling that lime green tie, even if it's a Conrad. Are you sure the lighting is correct?
post #594 of 37405
Thread Starter 

I for one am thrilled that this thread has thrown business towards many within the SF Family. I know a lot of people gripe that they get enough attention with their threads, but I'd much rather they have our money than some bloke whose (screen)name I don't even know.

 

Jungleroller:

How many ties are you looking to acquire (short term and long term)?

How often do you wear ties?

What do you normally wear with them?

What are the holes that you see in your wardrobe.

 

@jrd617 and others...I'm wanting (I've a few days off for CNY) to put together a more exhaustive list of a good tie wardrobe. There are plenty of "if I only had 10 ties"....I'm thinking of "if I had 30 ties". I suspect you'll be on board for this. I also propose this thread to host it (maybe)

post #595 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

what in the eff?!?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/doge
post #596 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Jungleroller:
How many ties are you looking to acquire (short term and long term)?
How often do you wear ties?
What do you normally wear with them?
What are the holes that you see in your wardrobe.

These are good questions to see what JR's needs are. I'd get more specific with the 3rd question - what sorts of Vox typology fits do you wear most often?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/369569/voxsartorias-coherent-combinations-what-fit-s-do-you-wear-most-often-during-the-week/0_50
post #597 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

^ Just saw those ties and added what I'd keep.

Not feeling that lime green tie, even if it's a Conrad. Are you sure the lighting is correct?

The lighting is "yellowing" the pictures.  It's a pain in the ass. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

I for one am thrilled that this thread has thrown business towards many within the SF Family. I know a lot of people gripe that they get enough attention with their threads, but I'd much rather they have our money than some bloke whose (screen)name I don't even know.

 

Jungleroller:

How many ties are you looking to acquire (short term and long term)?

How often do you wear ties?

What do you normally wear with them?

What are the holes that you see in your wardrobe.

 

@jrd617 and others...I'm wanting (I've a few days off for CNY) to put together a more exhaustive list of a good tie wardrobe. There are plenty of "if I only had 10 ties"....I'm thinking of "if I had 30 ties". I suspect you'll be on board for this. I also propose this thread to host it (maybe)

I definitely need more a couple more staples.  Burgundy Grenadine and Dark Green I believe.  Within 6 months I'd like to have ~10 solid versatile ties.  I don't have to wear ties but I like to.  At least 3 days a week.  I don't wear PS's at the moment.  What else "would" I wear with them? Mostly Sport Coats and trousers.  I have ~10 suits but don't wear them all that often, 1x a week.  Most of my SC are patterned at the moment, I have a couple grey,navy, charcoal that aren't. I think the holes I have are unification.  I have a bit of this and that with no consistency imo.  Here's a snap of my SC and suit closet maybe to get an idea.

 

Sport Coats - Mostly Ebay Thrifts.


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Suits


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #598 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I for one am thrilled that this thread has thrown business towards many within the SF Family. I know a lot of people gripe that they get enough attention with their threads, but I'd much rather they have our money than some bloke whose (screen)name I don't even know.

this. except i also like buying sparkle luxury brand stuff. AMIRITE!!!!
Quote:
There are plenty of "if I only had 10 ties"....I'm thinking of "if I had 30 ties".

i think 50 would be my bare bones minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/doge

lol i know the meme. i meant what in the eff people offering free stuff from me. tongue.gif
post #599 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post


These are good questions to see what JR's needs are. I'd get more specific with the 3rd question - what sorts of Vox typology fits do you wear most often?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/369569/voxsartorias-coherent-combinations-what-fit-s-do-you-wear-most-often-during-the-week/0_50

Interesting.  
 

At the moment, wearing a casual suit is quite formal at my office.  I would say I fall into:

 

Country/Casual Odd Jackets and Casual Suits.

post #600 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

lol i know the meme. i meant what in the eff people offering free stuff from me. tongue.gif

well, mimo started it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)