or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 336

post #5026 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rad View Post

Here are some ties I've picked up over the last few weeks after reading this thread.

Drakes, Drakes, Hober, Hober, Wu....
 

 

<3 that Wu

post #5027 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Going left to right, 2nd for grey suits and 4th one for whatever. Others I would toss out. 

Appreciate the input. Any comments on why to toss the 3 others?

Also, is the general consensus that #3 is not a good pick?
post #5028 of 37396

@unbelragazzo 

So back to DC for a second. 

So you really think men in DC dress SF compliant?

Maybe it's just me but I see truckloads of poorly dressed men. 

But even Stitchie is agreeing with you.

 

All I see are sea of dark suits with white shirts and loud ties and bad shoes.

I do see well dressed gentlemen, but that's like 1 out of 100. 

post #5029 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rad View Post


Appreciate the input. Any comments on why to toss the 3 others?

Also, is the general consensus that #3 is not a good pick?

 

Noodles is just spouting off his extremely rigid, slightly SF, CBD formed opinion. He hates a lot of stuff that is plenty SF approved. That middle tie is "bright" red. Most people here don't like "bright" red. Some would say that "bright" red can be OK. I think as far as "bright" red goes, that is probably an example of a decent one.

post #5030 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rad View Post


Appreciate the input. Any comments on why to toss the 3 others?

Also, is the general consensus that #3 is not a good pick?

LL

Here's my quick take going left to right:

#1 - what color is that? It seems like a faded green tie. I personally do not like the tie. 

#2 - Keeper.

#3 - I would not buy this one because I have been brainwashed that RED is just too loud. That is red, right? Also, the patterns are too busy for my taste. 

#4 - Keeper

#5 - I see that as black so I would not buy that either. If it is a dark navy then it's a keeper. 

post #5031 of 37396

N00b Noodles with a RED tie...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Photo 60 of 73

Edited by Rudals - 5/2/14 at 12:08pm
post #5032 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

@unbelragazzo
 
So back to DC for a second. 
So you really think men in DC dress SF compliant?
Maybe it's just me but I see truckloads of poorly dressed men. 
But even Stitchie is agreeing with you.

All I see are sea of dark suits with white shirts and loud ties and bad shoes.
I do see well dressed gentlemen, but that's like 1 out of 100. 

I'm sure if you put ten random suited DC d00ds up against a wall you could find something to complain about with all of them. But probably nine of them will be wearing a suit that basically fits. At least half will be wearing shoes that, if not nice, are at least appropriate and not disgusting. There may be a couple of bright solid silk ties in there, but whatever, it's not killing anybody. What I mean to say is that they're dressed perfectly fine. Honestly, the worst looking ones are the ones that have been on the internet too much and are wearing suits that are too small and garish pocket squares.
post #5033 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post


I'm sure if you put ten random suited DC d00ds up against a wall you could find something to complain about with all of them. But probably nine of them will be wearing a suit that basically fits. At least half will be wearing shoes that, if not nice, are at least appropriate and not disgusting. There may be a couple of bright solid silk ties in there, but whatever, it's not killing anybody. What I mean to say is that they're dressed perfectly fine. Honestly, the worst looking ones are the ones that have been on the internet too much and are wearing suits that are too small and garish pocket squares.

tumblr_mf1s33puYr1r1oxl6.gif

post #5034 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post


CMT is ~1500 for a suit, which I think is an insane deal. Then again, I've not had much experience with high end bespoke. Tchoy has, though, and holds BnT in pretty high esteem.

what means this is normal american money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rad View Post

Here are some ties I've picked up over the last few weeks after reading this thread.

Drakes, Drakes, Hober, Hober, Wu....
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

i dont love the red. not because its red, just because i dont love it. the rest are nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

tumblr_mf1s33puYr1r1oxl6.gif

tom hardy is the freaking man.
post #5035 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post


Ha, so far as I know I haven't seen you out on the streets. But a couple of times a week I will see somebody dressed as described.
post #5036 of 37396
I've spent my share of time in DC and lean in the direction of unbel and stitches. My main criticism of the suit-wearers is uniformity. I realize that a suit itself is a kind of uniform, but the seemingly permissible scope of what's acceptable in DC is even narrower than in other suit-centric US cities. Also, they wear suit with white buttondowns. That drives me crazier than all the yellow and red ties.

The real problem with men's attire in DC is the other uniform: ill-fitting, probably pleated khakis; button down shirt; navy blazer (most likely with metal buttons); crappy loafers. Obviously, this is a generally accepted fit. But every time I'm in DC its prevalence its kind of mind-blowing.
post #5037 of 37396
Thanks for the comments guys.

Far right tie is dark navy (definitely not black).

Appreciate the input on #3 as well. I'm colorblind so it's difficult for me to tell just how "red" or how "bright" it is, and hence how appropriate.
post #5038 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rad View Post

Thanks for the comments guys.

Far right tie is dark navy (definitely not black).

Appreciate the input on #3 as well. I'm colorblind so it's difficult for me to tell just how "red" or how "bright" it is, and hence how appropriate.

All of your ties look perfectly fine to me. The red one might not be an SF favourite, but wear it with a light blue shirt and a navy suit and it won't look out of place at all.
post #5039 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Rad View Post

Here are some ties I've picked up over the last few weeks after reading this thread.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Drakes, Drakes, Hober, Hober, Wu....


The red one is probably too red for most of SF, but if you like it and don't generally accept the "no red ties" rule, it's a perfectly acceptable neat. The others are all good, including the green one. I suspect the navy is a shantung, about which there's some seasonality debate, but it should work fine. Solid work.
post #5040 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

The red one is probably too red for most of SF, but if you like it and don't generally accept the "no red ties" rule, it's a perfectly acceptable neat. The others are all good, including the green one. I suspect the navy is a shantung, about which there's some seasonality debate, but it should work fine. Solid work.

Indeed - it is shantung!

Is the seasonality debate around shantung being primarily just a spring / summer time tie? That's weird to me because the texture makes me think that it'd be more appropriate for fall / winter seasons. Can anyone explain this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)