or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 331

post #4951 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post
 

Is that Spandexter's Barba collar or the #1738 collar?

 

I meant Spandexter's collar, but the 1738 has good reviews as well. I heaven't tried either of those, so I'm basing my opinion on pictures/reviews.

post #4952 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post


I suspect Pythagoras may have something to say about that.

But really, it depends on how happy you are with where your current points fall relative to your jacket lapels.

 

Alright, since clags always out-maths me I calculated this out. I assumed that I would like my point to fall like NOBD's do since I don't have a current NOBD2 in hand to compare on my body.

 

I came out with a 1:1.7228 Ratio between collar height and collar point length.

 

Ergo, if I increase the collar height by .5" I should increase the point length by .8614"

 

 

If you want to check my work :P (Click to show)

 

 

Does .5" sound like too much to add to height?

post #4953 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

 

I meant Spandexter's collar, but the 1738 has good reviews as well. I heaven't tried either of those, so I'm basing my opinion on pictures/reviews.

I havent tried them yet either, but I prefer Spandexter's too. 

post #4954 of 37396

Now that we're on collars, what is the best kind of collar for wearing without a tie, excluding a BD collar? Would it be lined or unlined, fused or unfused, spread or no spread?

post #4955 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

Now that we're on collars, what is the best kind of collar for wearing without a tie, excluding a BD collar? Would it be lined or unlined, fused or unfused, spread or no spread?


Something fairly soft, and middle-of-the-road in terms of spread -- neither a cutaway nor a particularly narrow point.

post #4956 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

Now that we're on collars, what is the best kind of collar for wearing without a tie, excluding a BD collar? Would it be lined or unlined, fused or unfused, spread or no spread?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 


Something fairly soft, and middle-of-the-road in terms of spread -- neither a cutaway nor a particularly narrow point.

 

Recent NMWA article on this also suggests less spread.

 

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/newsroom/

post #4957 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

Gdl and timo have some I think. I made two shirts like that last year and they look amazing to me.

PICS NAOW!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post

Alright, since clags always out-maths me I calculated this out. I assumed that I would like my point to fall like NOBD's do since I don't have a current NOBD2 in hand to compare on my body.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I came out with a 1:1.7228 Ratio between collar height and collar point length.

Ergo, if I increase the collar height by .5" I should increase the point length by .8614"



If you want to check my work :P (Click to show)



Does .5" sound like too much to add to height?


ffffuuuu.gif
post #4958 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

Now that we're on collars...

Can I ask if spread collars are the most formal and jive with CBD wardrobe? 

 

Thanks

post #4959 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

PICS NAOW!!
ffffuuuu.gif


@timotune permission to use your pic? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
tumblr_mw57kiVcZU1qapbr2o1_1280.jpg

Mine Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Yesterday at the hotel. I have a more extreme one but it's not available till I get home this weekend
PicsArt_1398778042644.jpg
IMG_1606.JPG

@gdl203 permission to use your pic? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #4960 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 

Can I ask if spread collars are the most formal and jive with CBD wardrobe? 

 

Thanks

 

Yep! I prefer lightly lined spread collars with a high collar band and longer collar points for wearing with a tie in a CBD context. Cutaway collars, although slightly less formal, work equally well as long as they're not too extreme. 

post #4961 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

 

Yep! I prefer lightly lined spread collars with a high collar band and longer collar points for wearing with a tie in a CBD context. Cutaway collars, although slightly less formal, work equally well as long as they're not too extreme. 

I am really digging wide spread collars nowadays. 

post #4962 of 37396
thankns, kulata. i think those look very nice actually.
post #4963 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 

I am really digging wide spread collars nowadays. 

 

Yeah, narrow spread/verging on point collars only look good with very long collar points. TTO frequently wears collars like that.

post #4964 of 37396

Another option are spread collars with hidden buttons (underneath the collar).  

post #4965 of 37396
i used to have a very fancy armani shirt with snaps under the collar!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)