or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 305

post #4561 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Yes. 40R.
And my fight against obesity has been a long fight. I am very displeased with my lack of progress.

I understand you'd like to enjoy your wife's cooking, but why don't you just eat smaller portions? Cut them in half and stop drinking soda/alcohol for a while and you'll lose weight fast!
post #4562 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post


I understand you'd like to enjoy your wife's cooking, but why don't you just eat smaller portions? Cut them in half and stop drinking soda/alcohol for a while and you'll lose weight fast!

I married a Quaker, I swear.

I haven't had a sip of alcohol since the wedding. 

No sodas.

 

Eating in smaller portions is a really good advice but I am so busy with work (hence I am on here) that I usually eat really fast and just chug along with work. My wife eats cookies, cheesecakes, whatever but she's skinny as hell with no fat in the belly that I can grope. 

 

When I was single I was able to control what I ate but now that's just out the window and my body is cr@p. 

post #4563 of 37395
Thread Starter 

Quakers aren't against alcohol. Or the use of certain recreational drugs. At least, this is from my experience at Quaker Yearly Meetings. Maybe you married a Mormon or Mennonite?

post #4564 of 37395

She's just a pure strict Presbyterian. 

Mormons...don't even get me started on that cult that poses as a Christian denomination. 

post #4565 of 37395

Start resistance training and tailor your nutrition around your training! You'll lose weight and then get to shop for all new clothes because nothing will fit in the shoulders and chest anymore!

post #4566 of 37395

I bought all my stuff when I was like 165lbs ish and I am now freaking 180 lbs ish. I can knock off the pounds pretty quick with controlled eating but I am afraid of losing muscles. The first things to go if you either skip a meal are your muscle cells because they possess the most energy. Freaking fat cells go when you have to work out for like 20 minutes plus. 

post #4567 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

I bought all my stuff when I was like 165lbs ish and I am now freaking 180 lbs ish. I can knock off the pounds pretty quick with controlled eating but I am afraid of losing muscles. The first things to go if you either skip a meal are your muscle cells because they possess the most energy. Freaking fat cells go when you have to work out for like 20 minutes plus. 

Just make sure your macros are ok. Eat lots of protein and you should keep most of the muscle. Most weight lifters/bodybuilders a have a bulking and cutting phase. In the bulking phase they'll gain lots of muscle and some fat, and in the cutting phase they'll lose the fat and keep most of the muscle. It's a very good way of gaining muscle fast.
post #4568 of 37395

Let see if that works for me. I foolishly bought a GNC 5 gallon(?) protein jug. I stopped taking it after a week. I believe it is best to get protein from chicken breasts and almond milk(?), etc directly and not from protein supplements. Let me see if I can slim down without losing the little muscles that I have. 

post #4569 of 37395
It sucks getting older/fatter lol. I weighed 180 for many years then quickly broke 200 after college then to 230 (fatty josh) Now I'm back at 210. I'm still a little chunky in my midsection and could use to loose another 10 or 15 but I'm doing ok for 6'2". All along that journey I went from a 34 waist to a 40 now I'm back at a 36-37. I can't afford to fluctuate anymore lol.

biggrin.gif the day I brought a pair of pants to the tailor to have them opened up more and she said that's it, no more, I've opened them up three times! I had to buy a 40 waist. I told myself that's it. I'm losing weight. It's amazing how cutting out alcohol has shed some of that.

You'll be fine Rudals, eat smaller portions more often, move around more. Even at work, stand instead of sit etc. I now go walking on my lunch breaks instead of porn surfing. Definitely pack your lunches instead of buying fast food crap.
post #4570 of 37395
Thread Starter 

I'm a lean fellow, but before I was really into tailored clothing, I enjoyed weightlifting. I ended up lifting too much. My favorite chest exercise was decline press on a smith machine. For about 2 months I generally was pushing 120 kilos. Turns out it was too much for my frame/tendons/bones and I messed up my left clavicle or something. Stayed about a year and a half away from the gym...but then got into tailored clothing. Now I'm terrified of gaining any sort of weight/mass and so stick to calisthenics only. Just work out at home where I have a stationary bike. Still, the apartment we're looking at in Texas looks like it has a very nice gym, so I'll probably utilize that. But I think I'll stick to low weight high repetition type stuff on pulley based machines.

 

I wish I had gotten into clothing when I was bigger, but I'm generally happy with my size as is.

post #4571 of 37395
Agreed. Low weight high rep = Bruce Lee! I also recommend resistance bands. They work for my body that is full with old shoulder injuries. I just need to get off my ass and do these things.
post #4572 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Let see if that works for me. I foolishly bought a GNC 5 gallon(?) protein jug. I stopped taking it after a week. I believe it is best to get protein from chicken breasts and almond milk(?), etc directly and not from protein supplements. Let me see if I can slim down without losing the little muscles that I have. 

Protein from food is best, but getting some help from a shake will make sure get enough. Just cut carbs and keep protein/fats high, and eat about 1500kcal a day. You'll lose fat fast. Once you're at your target fat percentage, up your intake to 3000-4000kcal (depends on your needs), and make sure you do heavy lifting at least 3-4 times a week.
The bodybuilding.com forum has some great resources for beginners.

One of the reasons why I won't get expensive clothing is because I'm waiting until I have some decent muscle. Once I've reached my target weight in about 3 years, I'm hoping I can maintain it and start buying MtM/bespoke.
post #4573 of 37395

Here's my routine:

30 minutes of jump ropes

Dumbbell squats with 40 lbs dumbbells (3 sets of 15 reps)

100(?) push ups

Curls with 40 lbs dumbbell push ups

 

(And...nonstop sex

post #4574 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post


Protein from food is best, but getting some help from a shake will make sure get enough. Just cut carbs and keep protein/fats high, and eat about 1500kcal a day. You'll lose fat fast. Once you're at your target fat percentage, up your intake to 3000-4000kcal (depends on your needs), and make sure you do heavy lifting at least 3-4 times a week.
The bodybuilding.com forum has some great resources for beginners.

One of the reasons why I won't get expensive clothing is because I'm waiting until I have some decent muscle. Once I've reached my target weight in about 3 years, I'm hoping I can maintain it and start buying MtM/bespoke.

You mean in 3 months, right?

post #4575 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

I'm a lean fellow, but before I was really into tailored clothing, I enjoyed weightlifting. I ended up lifting too much. My favorite chest exercise was decline press on a smith machine. For about 2 months I generally was pushing 120 kilos. Turns out it was too much for my frame/tendons/bones and I messed up my left clavicle or something. Stayed about a year and a half away from the gym...but then got into tailored clothing. Now I'm terrified of gaining any sort of weight/mass and so stick to calisthenics only. Just work out at home where I have a stationary bike. Still, the apartment we're looking at in Texas looks like it has a very nice gym, so I'll probably utilize that. But I think I'll stick to low weight high repetition type stuff on pulley based machines.

 

I wish I had gotten into clothing when I was bigger, but I'm generally happy with my size as is.

Clags, 

 

I am afraid you'll be on the slim side when you come back to the States. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)