or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 257

post #3841 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post

I was gonna say all four. I've been meaning to get some grenadines, but I wear CBD so infrequently I haven't been able to justify spending as much on them when they're so pricy. I figured this might be a good opportunity to pick up all the staples.

I'm glad I asked here because my main problem has always been buying all the things when I think they're a good deal. If the construction on these is that poor I'll just keep waiting and not get any.


L2BR

 

I'd wait and save for something nice. Hober grenadines seem like a great deal and at $80 for a four-fold made to your specifications, seems to me worth it over the others.

 

I have regretted various tie purchases that seemed like a good deal at the time but just weren't worth it. Recently, I saved up for a Vanda which I just received. It meant not doing work in cafes for quite a while (I like cafes, am productive, drink lots of coffee, people watch when I'm bored). But forgoing 35 coffees and snacks wasn't actually that hard. That paid for the tie and shipping.

 

Once the tie was in hand, it was immediate and easy to appreciate how beautiful the fabric is, how well-constructed, how well it knots and drapes. Six fold, unlined Holland and Sherry gunclub fabric, black, blue, white...sounds nice right? Vanda's are definitely more than Hobers, but if you don't wear ties that often, having a few special ones I think is is worth saving up for (I posted a pic in the Vanda thread). So, I'd recommend holding back on the buying urge and save for something you'll happily wear a lot.

post #3842 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post

I tried Crat's method but gave up after the 5th layer...shog%5B1%5D.gif

Very small amounts in thin layers but as soon as you start seeing that mirror you want to keep going. You got!!icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #3843 of 37396
Also back to polishing etc. Use a little at a time. You don't need a lot. The more you use the more difficult it is to take off. It's like polishing/waxing a car.

Personally I bust out a couple pairs of shoes every couple weeks to a month depending on wear/weather. If you don't want to do all this I'm sure there are people/businesses in the are that can take care of them for you. I find doing it myself somewhat relaxing.
post #3844 of 37396
Crat's method works very nice on my shoes. I made a few modifications to build the shine quicker but some shoes are stubborn.
post #3845 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

Crat's method works very nice on my shoes. I made a few modifications to build the shine quicker but some shoes are stubborn.

Que? Can you share? Your shine is incredible!
post #3846 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleroller View Post

Que? Can you share? Your shine is incredible!

Thanks! I usually like to build a first layer with a little wax and apply it with my finger and rub it until it gets "dry". Then spary a few drops of weather and buff with a cotton cloth. Then apply a few layers of Crat's method. And finish with a… I don't know how it is called in English but I use like a lady sock (?) and give a final buff. Don't know why that brings a bit more of shine to the shoe.
post #3847 of 37396
Thread Starter 

Alright. So. I'm going to be getting another jacket next month. I want it to be blue. Because I like blue more than I like variety. And I want it to be interesting. While also being subtle enough to be worn almost as frequently as your standard navy blazer. So thinking small scale patterns or texture. Please suggest random fabrics, with pictures (of the fabric or of a jacket made of it) so I can get some ideas about what I'd like. Feel free to suggest anything else you want (as in the Spirit of Noodle).

 

Here is my blue jacket rotation at present. I've done the best to make these true to color.

 

Linen-wool, 2 patch pocket 3 roll 2

 

Linen 2 patch pocket

 

Wool 2 patch pocket

 

Wool 3 patch pocket

 

Wool cashmere 3 patch pocket

 

linen 2 patch pocket

 

Linen wool 3 patch pocket

 

wool 2 patch pocket

 

wool double breasted, peak lapel, flap pocket


Edited by Claghorn - 3/25/14 at 2:24am
post #3848 of 37396
I don't have the color but are you missing a Spanish blue?
post #3849 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

Alright. So. I'm going to be getting another jacket next month. I want it to be blue. Because I like blue more than I like variety. And I want it to be interesting. While also being subtle enough to be worn almost as frequently as your standard navy blazer. So thinking small scale patterns or texture. Please suggest random fabrics, with pictures (of the fabric or of a jacket made of it) so I can get some ideas about what I'd like. Feel free to suggest anything else you want (as in the Spirit of Noodle).

 

Here is my blue jacket rotation at present. I've done the best to make these true to color.

 

Linen-wool, 2 patch pocket 3 roll 2

 

Linen 2 patch pocket

 

Wool 2 patch pocket

 

Wool 3 patch pocket

 

Wool cashmere 2 patch pocket

 

linen 2 patch pocket

 

Linen wool 3 patch pocket

 

wool 2 patch pocket

 

wool double breasted, peak lapel, flap pocket

The problem is that they are all beautiful. Really. I like blue like the brightest ones.

post #3850 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Cerutti View Post
 

The problem is that they are all beautiful. Really. I like blue like the brightest ones.

Well, it isn't really a problem since those are all of jackets I already own. The problem is finding a versatile blue fabric that I don't already own.

:tinfoil:

post #3851 of 37396
I don't see a birdseye or nailhead pattern in there.
post #3852 of 37396
Thread Starter 

3rd is birdseye, or close to it.

 

Also, you check out Butler's selection in the curated thread?


Edited by Claghorn - 3/25/14 at 4:10am
post #3853 of 37396
Ok not clear with screen privacy thingy. Would suggest a wide herringbone then or fresco blazer suit
post #3854 of 37396
Thread Starter 

BUY RUDALS A DRINK

Rudals is coming to Korea for his wedding, and I'm going out with Rudals this coming Sunday. If you'd like to buy him a drink, message me and I'll give you my paypal information. You can specify the drink. Any left over (I don't know how much individual drinks cost!) will be pooled together to buy more drinks for Rudals. I will upload each drink, as well as who it is from (if desired).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

Ok not clear with screen privacy thingy. Would suggest a wide herringbone then or fresco blazer suit

2nd to last is a fresco-ish (I think "fresco" actually refers to a specifcally to Minnis) and a blazer suit. In fact, #1, #7, and #8 are all blazer suits (though only #7 is meant to really function as a suit in terms of even approaching that level of business attire; maybe #8 as well).

 

Wide herringbone has been suggested and is definitely a top candidate. I'd also love to see if I or B&T can scrounge up something in houndstooth that resolves to solid fairly quickly.

post #3855 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Well, it isn't really a problem since those are all of jackets I already own. The problem is finding a versatile blue fabric that I don't already own.
tinfoil.gif

Ok, clags I spent all morning going through WAYWRN trying to find a particular jacket I remember. I remember it being a little more different than your current offerings than maybe it actually is, but it's post #67161. Maybe that helps, maybe not. Also, in post #63282 someone quotes you as already having commissioned a herringbone. Did that never come to fruition, or what? Good luck finding the perfect fabric, I'm sure it will be great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)