or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2482

post #37216 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post
 

 

I try to work that into conversation as often as possible, and I ask that people use that as an "interesting fact" when they introduce me to others.

 

Something like this?

 

"With global warming on the rise, we must do our part. These sweaty summers cannot continue. Especially with massive balls, I feel the brunt worse than others."

 

"I can't believe the umpire let that strike go and gave away to the batter such a massive ball. I mean, not that I'm one to talk, with my massive balls."
 

"The ball bearings used in this shaft assembly come in varying diameters based on the load carried, from SS through XL sizes. Obviously I am partial to the XL size given my own shaft assembly needs."

post #37217 of 37396

I'm going to add those to my repertoire.

post #37218 of 37396
How much luggage is too much? I have a slim black leather messenger bag that I wear with to work with black shoes when I have court or important meetings. I also have a green canvas bag for weekends and for days I dress more casually. Allen Edmonds now has on sale a brown leather messenger bag that seems like it might be good for days when I go to work in a suit and brown or burgundy shoes, brown leather watch strap, etc. Is that the sort of thing people notice? Is three bags one too many?
post #37219 of 37396

If you want it, get it. If you don't, do not.

post #37220 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeBrooklyn View Post

How much luggage is too much? I have a slim black leather messenger bag that I wear with to work with black shoes when I have court or important meetings. I also have a green canvas bag for weekends and for days I dress more casually. Allen Edmonds now has on sale a brown leather messenger bag that seems like it might be good for days when I go to work in a suit and brown or burgundy shoes, brown leather watch strap, etc. Is that the sort of thing people notice? Is three bags one too many?


I have three (black leather shoulder bag, cheap canvas shoulder bag for airports/flights, my grandfather's brown leather soft briefcase) and get lots of use out of all three.  I don't give any thought to matching accessories to my shoes, belt, et al, but as Caustic says, if you like it, get it.  You'll use it. 

post #37221 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BespokeBrooklyn View Post

How much luggage is too much? I have a slim black leather messenger bag that I wear with to work with black shoes when I have court or important meetings. I also have a green canvas bag for weekends and for days I dress more casually. Allen Edmonds now has on sale a brown leather messenger bag that seems like it might be good for days when I go to work in a suit and brown or burgundy shoes, brown leather watch strap, etc. Is that the sort of thing people notice? Is three bags one too many?

 

It depends entirely on how, why, and for how long you travel.  I travel as light as I can, avoiding checked bags like the plague. I've a couple of larger bags for use when, say, I go to Europe for a month.  In them I can pack two weeks worth of stuff, requiring me to do laundry just once during the trip.  Though larger, they'll still fit in the overhead compartments of most transatlantic flights.

 

I've a smaller Swiss Gear carry-on bag I use for domestic conferences along with a small "personal item" bag about the size of a large laptop computer with a shoulder strap which I use when attending sessions at a conference (for handouts and the like).   Together they would allow me to be away for up to a week (assuming I wear my suit and overcoat on the plane).

 

Regarding conferences, one thing I've done on occasion when relevant is to ship materials to my hotel.  I've only done this for domestic conferences as I don't trust international shippers with "mission critical" materials.

 

Like I said, your needs might be very different.  There is no generic answer to your question.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #37222 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

If you want it, get it. If you don't, do not.

And here it is, your moment of zen
post #37223 of 37396
@agjiffy Is this getup appropriate for achieving ones bonus this year?


post #37224 of 37396
^ I personally think that the stripes on stripes isn't great, and that a solid shirt would look better (or even checks). It also looks like he is wearing some funny lapel pin that strikes me as costumey. But as I made abundantly clear in the other thread, no one on Wall Street gives a shit what you wear. They only care if you are good at your job and that you don't embarrass your firm. Furthermore, personal style is about being confident in what you wear and staying within some basic parameters that can be bent in interesting ways - not slavish devotion to a set of rules that morons propogate on Internet forums and their awful blogs. So that guy should be fine come bonus time. And overall he looks good.

Was that not apparent from my thread? I thought I made it so obvious.
post #37225 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

@agjiffy Is this getup appropriate for achieving ones bonus this year?

  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Matching of lapel-pin with cocktail is next-level, nevertheless insufficient to distract attention fully from the shirt disaster.

post #37226 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

^ I personally think that the stripes on stripes isn't great, and that a solid shirt would look better (or even checks). It also looks like he is wearing some funny lapel pin that strikes me as costumey. But as I made abundantly clear in the other thread, no one on Wall Street gives a shit what you wear. They only care if you are good at your job and that you don't embarrass your firm. Furthermore, personal style is about being confident in what you wear and staying within some basic parameters that can be bent in interesting ways - not slavish devotion to a set of rules that morons propogate on Internet forums and their awful blogs. So that guy should be fine come bonus time. And overall he looks good.

Was that not apparent from my thread? I thought I made it so obvious.

I was hoping for some humor!
post #37227 of 37396
^ There's nothing funny about men's style. At least there isn't now that Sprout2 has ruined humor for everyone else on the board with his constant unfunny posts. I still have a little chuckle when all the same guys get the same fabric for the same bespoke suit, but even the joy I get from that has almost been completely muted since I know that it's just fodder for some bad Sprout2 joke that will be clumsily delivered with minimum effect. The only path left is to be deadly serious.
post #37228 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

I've a couple of larger bags for use when, say, I go to Europe for a month.  In them I can pack two weeks worth of stuff, requiring me to do laundry just once during the trip.  Though larger, they'll still fit in the overhead compartments of most transatlantic flights.

Travelling check-in only is definitely the way to go, especially in Western countries with medieval airport operations. 

 

However, How do you carry your suit jackets? Mine are too big to fit in a carry-on suitcase (which will be too tightly packed anyway) so I have to either only bring one and wear it, picking up all the accumulated grime from the seat back on the way, or carry it loosely folded in a hard (cardboard-lined) shopping bag of the sort you get in menswear shops. Not ideal solutions and in both cases limiting to hard wearing, crease resistant, more casual fabrics.

post #37229 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdb View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

I've a couple of larger bags for use when, say, I go to Europe for a month.  In them I can pack two weeks worth of stuff, requiring me to do laundry just once during the trip.  Though larger, they'll still fit in the overhead compartments of most transatlantic flights.

Travelling check-in only is definitely the way to go, especially in Western countries with medieval airport operations. 

 

However, How do you carry your suit jackets? Mine are too big to fit in a carry-on suitcase (which will be too tightly packed anyway) so I have to either only bring one and wear it, picking up all the accumulated grime from the seat back on the way, or carry it loosely folded in a hard (cardboard-lined) shopping bag of the sort you get in menswear shops. Not ideal solutions and in both cases limiting to hard wearing, crease resistant, more casual fabrics.

 

I wear mine.  I've never had a problem with it getting dirty from the seat back, and I always pack a pressing cloth so I can press out any wrinkles once I get to my hotel.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #37230 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Off topic GNAT:

Had a scare today. Some problem with a toner cartridge. I was about to open up the printer to figure out what the problem was, but the desire to hurry and drink my coffee made me call for an office assistant. When he opened up the printer, it lightly exploded on him. Then the wall. Then the floor.

That could have been me.



---
Since Halloween must be approaching (given the decorations being sold), what other scary sartorial stories do y'all have?

Here's a quick one:

In Korea, a coworker of mine got very drunk. After relieving himself, the tail of his jacket interfered with his wiping and he didn't notice. We noticed the smell, found the source, and made him abandon the jacket in an alley.

and on cold nights, the jacket can still be heard whispering: brown isn't just for farmers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)