I can't imagine any scenario in which that would look good.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:32 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2474post #37097 of 376599/11/16 at 8:07ampost #37098 of 376599/12/16 at 4:30am
Quick survey - what do you all think of ticket patch pockets? It seems like it would be quite functional for me for my mobile phone and if at some point i decided i didn't like it, quite easily removed by a tailor? Example below. Seems pretty non-offensive, I'd have to go wider than below for the phone.post #37099 of 376599/12/16 at 4:56am
1. Unless you enjoy showing off a phone jutting out of your pocket, avoid
2. Unless you like the repeated mechanical action of having to reach above your hips to take out your phone like a gun holster, avoid. You will be doing this hundreds of times per day. If anything, the pocket should be at thigh level on your pants.
3. Put the phone in the breast pocket of your jacket. It will fit perfectly, and now you have an excuse for why you aren't wearing a pocket square when accosted by cane-toting igents in a dark alley.post #37100 of 376599/12/16 at 5:54amQuote:
That would make cricket white flannels an unwearable item then wouldn't it?
Flannels are definitely worn in spring and autumn too (and some summers depending onwhere). I didn't say woolen flannel, I didn't specify weight. They don't make 9oz flannel for no reason. I believe historically flannel was worn in summer.post #37101 of 376599/12/16 at 6:05amThread Starterpost #37102 of 376599/12/16 at 6:19ampost #37103 of 376599/12/16 at 6:34amThread Starterpost #37104 of 376599/12/16 at 6:35ampost #37105 of 376599/12/16 at 6:41amQuote:
It seems to me that that would add an unwanted weight to one side of your body, esp. with no structural support at the hem. I assume (god forbid) that this is not an iphone 6 sized phone, in which case you are screwed.
I recommend hand-carrying. I've already recommended this before.post #37106 of 376599/12/16 at 6:47amThread StarterIt doesn't seem to throw off the balance much, but maybe I don't notice. I keep keys and occasionally pens in my hip patch pockets all the time, so maybe I'm used to it. I even will fold a paper I'm reading in half in half, lengthwise, and slip that into a hip pocket if I have other crap to carry.
If you have pockets but don't use them, I don't know what to say. Don't get pockets next time?post #37107 of 376599/12/16 at 6:49ampost #37108 of 376599/12/16 at 7:41amQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
It doesn't seem to throw off the balance much, but maybe I don't notice. I keep keys and occasionally pens in my hip patch pockets all the time, so maybe I'm used to it. I even will fold a paper I'm reading in half in half, lengthwise, and slip that into a hip pocket if I have other crap to carry.
If you have pockets but don't use them, I don't know what to say. Don't get pockets next time?
I carry those things, too. I think that electronics are just past the tipping point of weight, though. It's not about "ruining the lines" or some such thing. It's that things beyond N weight are better in the hand or bag because they pull around the body. One of the lessons that T-shirt and short wearers learned rather quickly in the evolution away from full plated armor and lances is that having things clanking around inside of your clothing is extremely uncomfortable. I wager that the average poster is probably wearing a jacket with a good amount of canvas, haircloth, and collar piece, too, so the weight on their person is already not negligible. Maybe you Americans are just more well-fed and stronger than me. I feel encumbered by stuff all the time.
As for your second point on the obsolence of pockets, I would love to reply in greater detail, as it is a fascinating subject, but I would rather save that commentary for my forthcoming book. I can't just give this shit out for free.
Edit: offhand, I think a newspaper weighs less than a smartphone or has less specific density (?). A small and dense object like a router or phone perforce sinks into the pocket, but the newspaper is not compact and distributes its weight across. Disclaimer: I failed mathpost #37109 of 376599/12/16 at 8:10amQuote:
No, though I clearly have shown a tendency in liking high contrast trouser and jacket combos.
I like cream trousers with fairly bold jackets, and I particularly like navy (surprise), so I wanted a navy jacket that stands out a little, but not in a relax Italian way, but more celebratory.
I'm more inspired by striped blazer cloth than anything. In fact I found a fox bros blazer cloth that was a bold navy stripe designed expressly for a look like that. Probably not intended with peak lapel and single buttons, but I feel like it'd work with vibe I want, which is dress, but dandy and not sombre.
Anyway, if it doesn't work, it'll be absolutely reasonable as a suit, so it can't be that bad.
Anyway I plan on having it in a worsted flannel 10oz, with strong roped shoulders, single button, and 3.75-4 inch peak lapels. A bit hunstman/tommy nutter inspired, but I want the lapels to not have much belly in my case.
I think it'd be absolutely fine if it weren't striped, and I don't see why the stripes, seeing as it is bold, more akin to blazer stripes than muted suiting stripe, wouldn't work. I've seen it done in more fashiony looks, some women's suits, Chad Park from BnT had a linen version that looked good, and flannel has a similar vibe to linen, but for autumn/winter, so I feel pretty strongly about it.
I think a smaller iphone is fine for the pocket (I wouldn't a larger phone I guess), but my summer and unlined jackets don't have that pocket, so I use the inner breast pocket.post #37110 of 376599/12/16 at 9:42am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › Size 42 / 44 - 54/56 Eu Sportscoats / Suits - Canali Hickey Freeman... 1 minute ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 3 minutes ago
- › Question about Yoox sizing 4 minutes ago
- › LEMAIRE 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 minutes ago
- › Classic Tuxedo Advice 7 minutes ago
- › Tailored results 9 minutes ago
- › The State of Black Tie: Your Observations 9 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 10 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...