Good idea Gus, I'll try that next time
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:01 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2466post #36977 of 373658/24/16 at 7:42pmpost #36978 of 373658/25/16 at 11:04ampost #36979 of 373658/25/16 at 11:14amQuote:
Blot with hot water and cloth, not paper towel. Never rub as it will smear the stain. Beyond that it's best to take to dry cleaners. Ask them not to press it too hard, though.post #36980 of 373658/25/16 at 11:19ampost #36981 of 373658/25/16 at 11:23ampost #36982 of 373658/25/16 at 11:23am
I'd second the dry cleaner suggestion with one large caveat. I wouldn't take it to the mom and pop shop on the corner if it's something you value. I'd look for a specialty cleaner like Davis Imperial Cleaners in Chicago. Not only will they care for your stuff extremely well they, and those like them, are known for getting out impossible stains in delicate fabric.post #36983 of 373658/25/16 at 11:30amQuote:Originally Posted by Caustic Man
I'd second the dry cleaner suggestion with one large caveat. I wouldn't take it to the mom and pop shop on the corner if it's something you value. I'd look for a specialty cleaner like Davis Imperial Cleaners in Chicago. Not only will they care for your stuff extremely well they, and those like them, are known for getting out impossible stains in delicate fabric.
Warm water will work too if you're skittish about hot (the warmer the water the more likely it will break up stain). I've had dry cleaners press ties so hard that the seam on the back showed through as line on the front. I second CM's recommendation to find someone you can talk to.post #36984 of 373658/25/16 at 4:41pmpost #36985 of 373658/25/16 at 4:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by sprout2
Somehow, in the interval of going to the drugstore for five minutes, I returned and found bird shit on both my necktie and (suede) shoes. Perfect line of trajectory, and from some strange class of bird with yellow egg yolk type excrement.
I managed to blot most of it off. The necktie has some residue on it. Luckily, nothing greasy.
It's a porous printed linen tie. I blotted with a damp cloth and now made a mound of baking soda on top, which I plan to check in the morning. The flakes look a bit encrusted though -- might have to be peeled off with tweezers or something.
Any cleaning tips? The shoes I rubbed down with a crepe eraser and also put a mound of baking soda. I can just take those to the shoe cleaners. Not so sure about the tie.Quote:post #36986 of 373658/26/16 at 9:00pmpost #36987 of 373658/27/16 at 9:30am
Blue (both dark and navy) fresco lana + white solid shirt as u did.
Tie looks good - colors also work with your skin
Not a huge fan of the matching with grey flannel suit.
I also wonder how it d look on a dark gray suit but with a skyblue shirt with thin white stripes (sorry for being that detailed i have one that i m thinking about)
Quote:Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox
Any advice on what sort of suit and shirt would best complement - or be complemented by - this tie? I like the tie, but it has never looked 'right'. It's a spongy turquoise wool from Drakes.
Suit is grey flannel and shirt is light blue in this over-saturated pic.post #36988 of 373658/27/16 at 9:49amQuote:Originally Posted by turkoftheplainsQuote:
Wasn't it your turquoise tie that started a shitstorm in the good taste thread?
(I actually like @sebastian mcfox's tie, for the record.)
My tie is probably more accurately described as robin's egg blue.post #36989 of 373658/27/16 at 4:13pmGents, help me purge!
Assuming you own both but you only have room for one. Which would you keep? Let's consider fit, comfort, and condition as non-factors.
Context: A footwear wardrobe of about 25 pairs of mid-tier, mostly SF-approved (i.e. better than AE), makers. I'm usually in trousers and an odd jacket - with a tie approximately 1/4 of the time. One of either of these might get worn once per month.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Back/Top: AE Strand (Brogued Cap-Toe Oxford on Round Classic Last)
Front/Bottom: AE Bel Air (Wing Blucher on Chiseled-ish Last)
Should I get rid of both? (They're both 7ish years old so I could stomach the idea.)post #36990 of 373658/27/16 at 4:17pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › The Look goes on... 2 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 15 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 29 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 31 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 35 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 41 minutes ago
- › Color Matching Help 42 minutes ago
- › Video Games 59 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 1 hour ago
- › Motorcycles 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...