Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:15 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2449post #36722 of 376637/1/16 at 4:31pmQuote:
Clearly they just need something that can raise their eye level.post #36723 of 376637/1/16 at 4:50pmpost #36724 of 376637/1/16 at 4:51pm
i just had suspender buttons added to one of my suits and I'm wearing it that way for the first time. The waist was already a hair large on me, which I assumed was important for the trousers to hang properly, but I find that standing up or moving in certain ways causes my shirt to bunch up directly above the waistband. Should trousers worn with suspenders be significantly looser than those worn with a belt/side tabs? Is it normally possible to wear 'suspendered" trousers without the suspenders and have them remain generally in place?post #36725 of 376637/1/16 at 5:27pmpost #36726 of 376637/1/16 at 5:33pmpost #36727 of 376637/1/16 at 7:28pmpost #36728 of 376637/1/16 at 7:43pmpost #36729 of 376637/1/16 at 9:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by flvinny521
i just had suspender buttons added to one of my suits and I'm wearing it that way for the first time. The waist was already a hair large on me, which I assumed was important for the trousers to hang properly, but I find that standing up or moving in certain ways causes my shirt to bunch up directly above the waistband. Should trousers worn with suspenders be significantly looser than those worn with a belt/side tabs? Is it normally possible to wear 'suspendered" trousers without the suspenders and have them remain generally in place?
Does the waistband sit at your natural waist (belly button-ish)? If not, that's likely the cause of this. If so, then the waist might be a bit too large, but the pants should be hanging from the suspenders, not cinched around your waist.post #36730 of 376637/1/16 at 9:29pmpost #36731 of 376637/2/16 at 6:00amQuote:Originally Posted by venividivicibj
You need shirt suspenders.Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
And now I can buy cheaper, mid-calf socks as well! Unexpected bonus! Do I get extra thumbs in WAYWRN for multiple pairs of suspenders worn simultaneously?Quote:
I'll take some pics next time I wear them, both with and without suspenders. The drape is significantly improved and they definitely sit higher with the suspenders, but maybe not exactly at the natural waist. The waist is certainly not tight enough for me to call it "cinched," but also not so loose that they would fall if I weren't wearing a belt or suspenders at all.
I'm trying to tailor this to a near-ideal state so I can use them as a template for future suits/trousers.post #36732 of 376637/2/16 at 10:27amQuote:
Agreed. Now that the conversation is over I wanted to chime in to say I'm happy to have provided fodder for discussion. As Caustic said, I'm sensitive of my hight but not about it, and I wouldn't be posting full shots on SF if I didn't expect them to be used in this way.Quote:
Everyone who commented brought some accurate insight to the table; too many to quote so I'll only touch on a few things.
First, all of us who regularly post pictures know they have a way of accentuating things that are barely perceptible in real life. Go to a meetup and you'll hardly notice any fit issues, nor will anyone look as amazing as the perfectly-timed photo. And as @edmorel alluded to in WAYWRN in regards to @justinkapur's real-life shot, the robo-pose may be the most useful for fit critique in this setting but it doesn't tell a huge part of the story and is rarely how someone is seen in a real setting.
Still, we can't see ourselves in 3D, so we're left to make adjustments as best we can from pictures, and the only two fit points I really wanted to circle back to as they relate to me are the jacket length and trouser width. As I've mentioned several times in various threads, my shape at the hips/rear is such that a shorter jacket doesn't cover my seat and in my eyes causes a pear-shaped stumpiness such that a longer jacket is preferable to me at this point. As long as the example you used? Probably not. But it was worthwhile to try it out to test the limit on that end of the spectrum. Similarly, while I agree that slimming the appearance of my legs sounds all fine and dandy, that equation is not one I've found to balance out by actually wearing slimmer pants. So right now I'm going wider (with cuffs as I like the extra weight and look of them) and will likely again hit an outer limit where I'll adjust back to a happy, though certainly still compromised to a degree, medium.
Until then, masochism or not, I like my clothes and will continue wearing them.
I've always liked you, CM. I believe you serve an important function on SF, which has been said several times, likely to the inflation of your already bursting-at-the-seams ego. But in my opinion, you need to cut this kind of shit out. These nuances in language you think are apparent in your arguments are a huge stretch, typically stated in perpetuity, and act only as further ad hominem. It's alpha noise and you can do better.post #36733 of 376637/2/16 at 1:40pm
While I'm in an advice-soliciting mood, can anybody comment on the fit pic I posted in the tailor thread?Quote:
I've spoilered some pictures of a Spier & Mackay MTM shirt. This is after a full workday, so it's a bit wrinkled, but also settled into how the shirt generally looks throughout the day.
I feel that, while the neck size is accurate, or maybe even too large (I can fit four fingers between the collar and my neck), my actual neck is further back than the shirt's neck, causing it to feel tight. I'm also a shorter guy at around 5'7", and it seems like the neckband is too tall on me, going past the hairline in back. Could the collar be moved back and down? Also, thought on the appropriateness of this collar for my stature?
The chest, waist and bottom are slightly snug only when seated, causing a very slight amount of pulling. The length of the shirt could stand to be a bit longer to prevent the shirt from becoming untucked. The shirt does not fall cleanly from my chest to my midsection. Will increasing the midsection to reduce the taper accomplish anything here?
The shoulders were corrected for sloping and forward posture. It looks like they may need further adjustment. Both sleeves seem slightly long: the left cuff can't be taken in much more because I'm wearing a watch and only two fingers fit between the watch and shirt, but I can fit four fingers in the right cuff before it is snug, so maybe the length should remain and the cuff circumference should be reduced.
Any comments on my thoughts or recommendations?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #36734 of 376637/2/16 at 5:44pm
jcm, you're a good sport.
No question, CM can be a douche from time to time. And yes, this thread is supposed to be "good natured". But not at the expense of a vigorous exchange of opinion.
It's when people really dig in and start defending their positions that onlookers such as myself can learn something.
I like the fact that CM speaks up and states a point of view and is prepared to argue it.post #36735 of 376637/2/16 at 5:49pmQuote:
Opinions can be exchanged civilly and intelligently. It’s not hard: academics do it every day, in the classroom and in print.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 27 seconds ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 1 minute ago
- › suede shoes - post 'em here! 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 7 minutes ago
- › Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)? 9 minutes ago
- › Video Games 9 minutes ago
- › Ask me about Eyewear! 15 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 20 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 23 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 26 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...