or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2436

post #36526 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Somehow I suspect the former Bloc countries haven't been any better conditioned to think critically about economics and history than we have.

They were not thought to equate fascism and communism, definitelly. ūüėā
post #36527 of 37396
Thread Starter 
True^

Though I wonder how important that distinction was after the 1960s, the majority of fascist governments and movements having petered out, with the exception of Spain, I guess.

I suppose Park Chung-hee in South Korea could accurately be described as Fascist, in practice and ideology if not in name, and I'm sure Kim Il-sung highlighted that in his own rhetoric into the 70s and 80s (with Park successor Chun).

Park Jungyul of B&Tailor, early in his career, worked at the tailor who made the dictator's suits.
post #36528 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesReborn View Post
 

While most of you are celebrating my banishment, I do want to thank you all for all the good advice. I will be gone for good but I will carry on with what I have learned from here. I guess all the side talk was unnecessary but then again this thread was kind of boring. I will make sure to stay away from NM and from buying a name brand product at full price. And finally, try on clothing before doing anything and look at the measurements. 

 

Sincerely, 

 

Noodles

 

Noodles's return is as inevitable as his banishment. How's that for deterministic?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post


I am not looking for overly academic discussion. I am looking for.. ahem... opinionated discussion.

 

What's the difference?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I wonder how important that distinction was after the 1960s, the majority of fascist governments and movements having petered out, with the exception of Spain, I guess.

 

The answer is in the question of whether the distinction matters today. The answer is yes.

post #36529 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post


Park Jungyul of B&Tailor, early in his career, worked at the tailor who made the dictator's suits.

Interesting - he's the older gentleman in all the photos, right?

post #36530 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Noodles's return is as inevitable as his banishment. How's that for deterministic?


What's the difference?


The answer is in the question of whether the distinction matters today. The answer is yes.

Difference? In the level of boring...
post #36531 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post

Difference? In the level of boring...

 

Some truth to that.

post #36532 of 37396
Is Noodles banned forever or just in the naughty corner?
post #36533 of 37396
Permanently.
post #36534 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

The answer is in the question of whether the distinction matters today. The answer is yes.

In the sense that political forces are going to influence how the political science and history is taught? I don't know if it will. Of course, that influence is already heavily institutionalized
post #36535 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post


In the sense that political forces are going to influence how the political science and history is taught? I don't know if it will. Of course, that influence is already heavily institutionalized


That's the thing, how can you really separate the two? In a sense I think the question of whether or not political forces will influence those things is the wrong question to ask. The teaching of political science and history are now a part of the same system as politics, especially in the post-post structuralist academic world. Whether one influences the other is a moot point when taken in the context of marshaling competing social forces. It's no longer a matter of doing good history, it's a matter of whose ideology we are going to accept as the standard when doing it.

post #36536 of 37396
Sorry to hear that. He was entirely out of order, no question, but if we applied the same standard to misogyny this would be a pretty quiet forum...
post #36537 of 37396

Was the perma ban for the J word? Can't say I'm tremendously heartened by that...especially if Noods himself is Japanese

post #36538 of 37396

Time to go off the rails...

 

So, I've been undertaking a lot of research into the intellectual/economic history of U.S. capitalism in the postbellum period. Here's the thing that gets me; some of the most brilliant social thinkers in the history of this country worked for decades to try and resolve the problems of justifying Revolutionary era ideals like liberty and popular sovereignty in a time when the household economy was in decline and the traditional political economy was under attack by the forces of industrialization and urbanization. One gets the sense that much of what this amounted to was academic acrobatics worthy of a Ptolemaic astronomer. We're still stuck with that today. The traditional political economy was incompatible with an industrial world and it is certainly incompatible with a technological world, yet instead of a re-evaluation we simply got a new concept of what freedom really means. I partially blame Henry David Thoreau, but I also blame the new Social Science. 

post #36539 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

Time to go off the rails...

 

So, I've been undertaking a lot of research into the intellectual/economic history of U.S. capitalism in the postbellum period. Here's the thing that gets me; some of the most brilliant social thinkers in the history of this country worked for decades to try and resolve the problems of justifying Revolutionary era ideals like liberty and popular sovereignty in a time when the household economy was in decline and the traditional political economy was under attack by the forces of industrialization and urbanization. One gets the sense that much of what this amounted to was academic acrobatics worthy of a Ptolemaic astronomer. We're still stuck with that today. The traditional political economy was incompatible with an industrial world and it is certainly incompatible with a technological world, yet instead of a re-evaluation we simply got a new concept of what freedom really means. I partially blame Henry David Thoreau, but I also blame the new Social Science. 

 

You have my attention.  My advisor wrote a book that sums up how I think about nineteenth century US political economy pretty well: a transition from freedom meaning the option to escape from the forces of markets into a society where freedom meant the ability to participate in markets.  Without wishing to turn this into the CE thread (God forbid), I think we're in a moment where that formulation might still apply. 

post #36540 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

Interesting - he's the older gentleman in all the photos, right?

Yes. His second job was at Hilton Tailor (doing menial tasks). It was his first since moving from the countryside into Seoul.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 


That's the thing, how can you really separate the two? In a sense I think the question of whether or not political forces will influence those things is the wrong question to ask. The teaching of political science and history are now a part of the same system as politics, especially in the post-post structuralist academic world. Whether one influences the other is a moot point when taken in the context of marshaling competing social forces. It's no longer a matter of doing good history, it's a matter of whose ideology we are going to accept as the standard when doing it.

It might be a moot difference, but it is still a difference. Though yes, I agree that it is moot because at this point, the outcome is the same. Though I suppose it should be easier to change now that the political/ideological forces behind the status quo have diminished.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post
 

Was the perma ban for the J word? Can't say I'm tremendously heartened by that...especially if Noods himself is Japanese

He's Korean, and he had been temporarily banned a number of times for a variety of reasons. I think this was just the straw that broke the camels back.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
 

 

You have my attention.  My advisor wrote a book that sums up how I think about nineteenth century US political economy pretty well: a transition from freedom meaning the option to escape from the forces of markets into a society where freedom meant the ability to participate in markets.  Without wishing to turn this into the CE thread (God forbid), I think we're in a moment where that formulation might still apply. 


As long as it remains Good Natured, it will never be a CE thread.

 

But check out the length of Pinkerton's jacket:

 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/67/PinkertonLincolnMcClernand.jpg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)