or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2411

post #36151 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post
 

Question on alterations/repair:

 

I snagged my shirt sleeve (right about at the elbow) on an exposed piece of metal earlier today. Not a huge tear by any means, just a slight snag, but I was wondering the best way to go about repairing the damage?

 

My first thought would be to take a chunk from the shirt tail and perhaps patch it, but I was curious what fellow SFers thought best.

 

Depends, in part, on the type of shirt of course.   I take it it's not one that you typically wear under a jacket?

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #36152 of 37438
Thanks fellas. This would be a business shirt. Primarily under jackets, though I occasionally will go sans jacket once I get to the office, which is how this happened.

I like the stitch it up and let it have a "scar" mindset. For the most part, it will go unseen, and certainly don't mind my clothes looking as though I actually wear them!
post #36153 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Thanks fellas. This would be a business shirt. Primarily under jackets, though I occasionally will go sans jacket once I get to the office, which is how this happened.

I like the stitch it up and let it have a "scar" mindset. For the most part, it will go unseen, and certainly don't mind my clothes looking as though I actually wear them!

 

That's what I'd probably do, then.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #36154 of 37438

It's winter here and I have 5 suits I can rotate regularly (plus a couple of SC combos). I want to add a couple more suits to the rotation to give the nicer suits a break.

 

I'm looking at SuitSupply again. From a quick browse it looks like the Washington has the most 'normal' measurements of the lot (especially pents), but I don't like the styling. Does anyone have experience with their different cuts? @Claghorn your Suitsupply fits look great - are they jackets only?

 

Any other suggestions? I'm in Australia so options are limited.

post #36155 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgereghty View Post

Thanks fellas. This would be a business shirt. Primarily under jackets, though I occasionally will go sans jacket once I get to the office, which is how this happened.

I like the stitch it up and let it have a "scar" mindset. For the most part, it will go unseen, and certainly don't mind my clothes looking as though I actually wear them!

 

Find someone who does embroidery and have them stitch it up decoratively, including adding your initials or something interesting?

 

 

ETA: I liked La Spalla when I tried it on (nice lapels and shoulder, decent looking construction), though I think I would have wanted to change the trousers significantly. Also, I found that L rather than R was an appropriate length. I'm generally an R.

post #36156 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post
 

It's winter here and I have 5 suits I can rotate regularly (plus a couple of SC combos). I want to add a couple more suits to the rotation to give the nicer suits a break.

 

I'm looking at SuitSupply again. From a quick browse it looks like the Washington has the most 'normal' measurements of the lot (especially pents), but [1] I don't like the styling. Does anyone have experience with their different cuts? @Claghorn your Suitsupply fits look great - are they jackets only?

 

Any other suggestions? [2] I'm in Australia so options are limited.

 

[1]  What exactly don't you like?

 

[2]  You might want to inquire over at the Australia thread as well as here:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/518027/australian-members-part-ii-if-you-read-the-first-post-youll-get-what-this-is-all-about

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #36157 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

 

[1]  What exactly don't you like?

 

[2]  You might want to inquire over at the Australia thread as well as here:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/518027/australian-members-part-ii-if-you-read-the-first-post-youll-get-what-this-is-all-about

 

Cheers,

 

Ac


I think peaked lapels on a single breasted suit rarely look good and I'm not wild about ticket pockets.

 

I'm aware of what's on offer in Australia (very little outside of MTM/bespoke), so I'm keen to canvass options elsewhere

post #36158 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

 

[1]  What exactly don't you like?

 

[2]  You might want to inquire over at the Australia thread as well as here:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/518027/australian-members-part-ii-if-you-read-the-first-post-youll-get-what-this-is-all-about

 

Cheers,

 

Ac


[1]  I think peaked lapels on a single breasted suit rarely look good and I'm not wild about ticket pockets.

 

[2]  I'm aware of what's on offer in Australia (very little outside of MTM/bespoke), so I'm keen to canvass options elsewhere

 

[1]  Gotcha.

 

[2]  Mr. Six's suggestion of the La Spalla brings the price tag up to around $1000 (in the U.S.), at least.  At that level Kent Wang becomes a possibility.  Lots of folk here have experience with that process.

 

Suit Supply is hard to beat at its price point if (1) you like the style and (2) they fit you.  Those are two big "ifs," of course.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #36159 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post


I think peaked lapels on a single breasted suit rarely look good and I'm not wild about ticket pockets.

I'm aware of what's on offer in Australia (very little outside of MTM/bespoke), so I'm keen to canvass options elsewhere


post #36160 of 37438
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post



Yup.. not a fan.

 

Kent Wang sound promising but would presumably be difficult and expensive if I'm located overseas. Would simply measuring one of my bespoke suits and using these as the basis for MTM work?

post #36161 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post

It's winter here and I have 5 suits I can rotate regularly (plus a couple of SC combos). I want to add a couple more suits to the rotation to give the nicer suits a break.

I'm looking at SuitSupply again. From a quick browse it looks like the Washington has the most 'normal' measurements of the lot (especially pents), but I don't like the styling. Does anyone have experience with their different cuts? @Claghorn
 your Suitsupply fits look great - are they jackets only?

Any other suggestions? I'm in Australia so options are limited.

I was shocked at how "normal" the Havana fit me. I'm a 36s in everything and I'm a 36s in that one too. The jacket length is fine and the pants aren't anything near too tight. I think fat guys sizing down give suit supply a bad rap on here.
post #36162 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Yup.. not a fan.

Kent Wang sound promising but would presumably be difficult and expensive if I'm located overseas. Would simply measuring one of my bespoke suits and using these as the basis for MTM work?

Kent is a pretty responsive guy, so it makes sense for you to ask. His MTM is based off modifications to his stock model, so I'm not sure if he's set up to accept just measurements.
post #36163 of 37438
So how many suits/sport coats does one need before they can start to enjoy their clothes?
post #36164 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

So how many suits/sport coats does one need before they can start to enjoy their clothes?

One that you like, seems to be enough to enjoy to me.
post #36165 of 37438
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

So how many suits/sport coats does one need before they can start to enjoy their clothes?


I enjoy my suits and coats a lot. But I also want to ensure they live long and happy lives.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)