or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2407

post #36091 of 37396

Noodles has already gone down the Formosa route, with mixed results. The suits don't look too bad on him (even counting the debacle over the mis-sizing or whatever happened with one suit, but let's not re-hash that again), but they don't look outstanding, either. 

 

Let's not forget that regardless of brand, if a suit/shirt/jacket/shoes don't fit well, it's a waste of money. Having said that, of course, here on SF we do tend to nitpick a bit too relentlessly at times and forget that people outside our little bubble generally don't notice/care about the same things that we do here on SF. 

 

TF - Noodles, please don't get TF. It's outrageously expensive and, as far as I'm aware, the TF stuff that you'll see on sale will pretty much always be their less conservative designs - large checks, big peak lapels and so on. That may not suit your needs at work. 

 

Brunello Cucinelli - Noodles, please don't get any BC suits, either. Once again, they tend to be quite fashion forward and as Cox noted, they are cut quite slim, both in jackets and trousers. While the fabrics are nice, you're paying a lot for the brand name. Also, all of the BC jackets that I've seen have keyhole buttonholes on the lapels, which I don't like (but that's subjective - others may not care about that particular detail). 

 

Please just go to Paul Stuart, Brooks Brothers, Suit Supply or somewhere similar that is affordable and which offers a range of cuts in different colours and fabrics, and try on a variety until you find something that fits you well. 

 

Whatever you do, don't buy stuff off the internet that you haven't had the chance to try on, as that doesn't seem to work well for you personality as you then obsess over it (but maybe that's just your internet persona, rather than your real-life persona). 

post #36092 of 37396

Its pretty simple.

 

Tom Hanks

 

Tom Hanks + Tom Ford

 

 

 

Decide who you want to be.

post #36093 of 37396

Is Tom Hanks handkerchief by Tom Ford, or is it just Tom's Hank at this point?

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

Its pretty simple.

 

Tom Hanks

 

Tom Hanks + Tom Ford

 

 

 

Decide who you want to be.

post #36094 of 37396

tom hanks is tom ford in that tux. 

post #36095 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Mr. Six looks good but does not look great like Sebastian Fox.

 

You can make these comments when you look as great as Mr. Six. Also, Mr. Six looks great.

post #36096 of 37396

@The Noodles , @Journeyman speaks truth.

 

Also:

 

1.  Styleforum "fit pics" are often as much about the pic as the fit.  Sometimes it's hard to look past the picture quality, or indeed the shape or age or ethnicity of who's wearing it.  To then assess empirically whether a combination is good or better than another, is hard.  Let alone apply that theoretically to oneself.  Basically, ignore how good someone else looks in something.  They're not you, and pics aren't real.

 

2.  Beware of sweeping statements like "makes shoulders look good", especially when it comes to extended shoulders and pinched waists.  Not only will they fit everyone differently, but any pics are static and give you little clue what real life looks like: a fantastic silhouette on John Q is impressive, until he starts walking and the shoulder divots and belly pull make him look like an 80s pop diva.  You will never know until it's too late.

 

3.  Celebrity multi zillionaires like Tom Hanks don't just get sent a 42 Regular.  They are sponsored by the "makers" (mega-empires), who send a tailor with several pieces, who will then craft one to be as flattering as possible to that individual.  Basically, super-rapid semi-bespoke, to the highest standard.  When you order a suit from Designer Clearance for Suckers . com, you don't get that service.

 

 

That is all.  Tom Ford might flatter you.  It might make you look like a pudding in a sock.  Don't gamble on it - try some shit on and maybe run a couple of MTM experiments if your money is burning a hole.

 

P.S.  Congratulations; hope all goes smoothly and the DNA test goes your way. xx

 

P.P.S. I love that DB dinner jacket that Hanks is wearing btw.  But if he was called The Noodles, SF would be telling him his trousers weren't hanging right and he could use a bit less break.  SF collectively can sometimes be a dick. :)

post #36097 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post

Noodles has already gone down the Formosa route, with mixed results. The suits don't look too bad on him (even counting the debacle over the mis-sizing or whatever happened with one suit, but let's not re-hash that again), but they don't look outstanding, either. 

Let's not forget that regardless of brand, if a suit/shirt/jacket/shoes don't fit well, it's a waste of money. Having said that, of course, here on SF we do tend to nitpick a bit too relentlessly at times and forget that people outside our little bubble generally don't notice/care about the same things that we do here on SF. 

TF - Noodles, please don't get TF. It's outrageously expensive and, as far as I'm aware, the TF stuff that you'll see on sale will pretty much always be their less conservative designs - large checks, big peak lapels and so on. That may not suit your needs at work. 

Brunello Cucinelli - Noodles, please don't get any BC suits, either. Once again, they tend to be quite fashion forward and as Cox noted, they are cut quite slim, both in jackets and trousers. While the fabrics are nice, you're paying a lot for the brand name. Also, all of the BC jackets that I've seen have keyhole buttonholes on the lapels, which I don't like (but that's subjective - others may not care about that particular detail). 

Please just go to Paul Stuart, Brooks Brothers, Suit Supply or somewhere similar that is affordable and which offers a range of cuts in different colours and fabrics, and try on a variety until you find something that fits you well. 

Whatever you do, don't buy stuff off the internet that you haven't had the chance to try on, as that doesn't seem to work well for you personality as you then obsess over it (but maybe that's just your internet persona, rather than your real-life persona). 
Probably the best advise given to me in recent months.

...and let me add @nemo too.
post #36098 of 37396
.
post #36099 of 37396
@The Noodles - there are far better uses for money required to rebuild wordrobe with TF. Putting that kid you're expecting (congratulations!) through university one day, for example.

And TF is so... I don't know... obviously expensive. Like it's made specifically for nouveau riche, people with no class.
post #36100 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post

@The Noodles - there are far better uses for money required to rebuild wordrobe with TF. Putting that kid you're expecting (congratulations!) through university one day, for example.

And TF is so... I don't know... obviously expensive. Like it's made specifically for nouveau riche, people with no class.
I really wasn't going to purchase a TF suit... but just was pointing out that this seems like the only option.

Yes, as for spending my money smarter, we are planning to put some wooden floors down (carpet no good for baby boy), get a nice car seat, diapers, sttoller, etc.

But my job requires that I dress up at least 3 to 4 times a week and I have been getting by with just 3 suits. Seems like Groundhog Day but I need to add more menswear.

My plan now is to visit the Paul Stuart store and go try some on and come back with some pictures.

...and thx for the congratulatory words.
post #36101 of 37396

Adding one or two suits to a wardrobe is hilariously more difficult for Noods than it is for seemingly anyone else on the planet.

post #36102 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Mr. Six looks good but does not look great like Sebastian Fox.

You can make these comments when you look as great as Mr. Six. Also, Mr. Six looks great.

No one looks better than Mr. Six. Some people look as good, but no one looks better.
post #36103 of 37396
Relatedly, I'm bumming around I one of my Despos coats (black and white herringbone), sage green cotton Rota pants, and Alden Indys under a navy single breasted Norwegian Rain coat. I look as good as Mr. Six.
post #36104 of 37396

Pics or it didn't happen.

post #36105 of 37396

The weather is in the Northeast remains cold and rainy. This is challenging on Derby day.  Outdoor derby party - what is an SF-dude to wear?  powder blue SC, cream summer weight trousers, linen shirt, polo suede loafers, and light green linen tie were on tap, but neither practical nor grey skies appropriate.  Suggestions?  I am thinking navy SC, bright pink tie, chinos and cowboy boots as the ground will undoubtedly be sloppy and i think the derby allows for liberal use of cowboy boots.  please advise ASAP.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)