or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2391

post #35851 of 37422

@sebastian mcfox, I concur with the forum zeitgeist on green cavalry twill over heavy cotton.

 

However I disagree with @heldentenor who suggested that it would not be a versatile piece. In support of my case, I submit this photo of Patrik from Skoaktiebolaget which I spotted on @EFV's new website:

 

 


The Swedish text translates as "Be baller like me. Go and buy those ridiculously awesome green cavalry twill trousers immediately."

post #35852 of 37422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

 
Anyways, I do hope to catch @Coxsackie
in person some day. Came real close last year. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Either way, no big deal. I'm pretty sure penicillin will clear that up...

rotflmao.gif

However I must point out, as your treating physician, that Coxsackie is viral...

Well, I *am* American. It is my birthright to over-prescribe antibiotics for maladies unaffected by their use.
post #35853 of 37422

^ I bow to Pat's example.  If you wear them that well, go for it.

post #35854 of 37422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

@sebastian mcfox
, I concur with the forum zeitgeist on green cavalry twill over heavy cotton.

However I disagree with @heldentenor
 who suggested that it would not be a versatile piece. In support of my case, I submit this photo of Patrik from Skoaktiebolaget which I spotted on @EFV
's new website:






The Swedish text translates as "Be baller like me. Go and buy those ridiculously awesome green cavalry twill trousers immediately."
Can't argue with that
post #35855 of 37422

 

 

 

 

This is an Ebay suit I got. it's a hickey freeman custom suit with 100% wool.  Despite the pictures this suit is a navy almost charcoal color.  I think the waist of the jacket and the seat of the pants needs to be taken out by an inch and those are the only fit problems I see. the suit has 3 inches of extra fabric in the pants and 2 inches in the jacket, so I'm not too worried about letting both of those area out a bit. Are there any other fit issues I'm missing that a tailor could fix?  Thanks for any feedback I'm new to formal wear fashion

post #35856 of 37422

Almost everything about that suit is too small for you.

post #35857 of 37422

ok, so besides what I noticed with the seat and the waist of the jacket, what else is too small?

 

the shoulders feel large enough and by the pictures they don't look too small (they aren't lying on my traps and end just past my natural shoulder). The lapels are laying flat and aren't bowing so the chest is correctly sized.  Like I admitted before the waist should be let out.  the sleeves of the suit don't look too slim/small to me either (I assume I would have issues getting my shirt sleeve in them as well which isn't occuring).  The overall length of the jacket is fine (covers my ass but isn't longer).  With the pants the waist fits perfectly it doesn't feel tight when I sit or stand and isn't so big I need a belt to keep them up.  Like I said in my original post I agree that the seat is too small and plan on letting that out.  the legs of the pants don't follow the curves of my legs at all and are totally straight so I don't see how those are too small.

post #35858 of 37422
Your first picture with your back to the camera shows it pulling across the entire back. Starting from the shoulders down to the midsection and to the vents. I mean I think you need to re-evaluate and possibly go up a size. Buying off Ebay doesnt work unless you know your proper size. To me this is 1-2 sizes too small. The shoulder in the back looks really bad. Again this is coming from someone who wears their jackets pretty trim and have been critiqued about it. I have gone a bit fuller in my cuts and they are so much better. Just my 0.02
post #35859 of 37422

I'm not sure how you can't see the lapels bowing, but they are. Severely. The sleeves are a good 2-3 inches short, there is a ton of pulling across the shoulder blades, the thighs are tight, and the sleeve pitch is off. All this in addition to the issues you noted. It's simply too small for you. It's a bad find and I would return it if you can.

post #35860 of 37422

If you're happy go for it.

post #35861 of 37422

I disagree with the above. There is a certain leeway that is allowable in matters of style to say that "If it makes you happy then do it". However, the fit of that suit is objectively bad and is probably not fully fixable in that respect. This place is meant for advice, not palliatives. I simply can't imagine that suit ever looking good on you.

post #35862 of 37422
: (

Yolo
post #35863 of 37422
Caustic Man is right. That suit is just too small. I know you want it to fit, but it doesn't. Cut it loose and move on to a bigger size.
post #35864 of 37422
Idk, I think he has some room for movement

post #35865 of 37422
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Idk, I think he has some room for movement

 

Agree with others advice that the suit is too small.

 

At the end of the day, pe3brain, it is your decision whether or not you take the advice given.

 

I will add this: regardless of what you have spent already, if you try to get the suit tailored (assuming you find a tailor who will take the job) you'll end up with a more costly suit that still wont' fit and certainly won't flatter. You may think you are ok with how the suit looks now, but in time, you are likely to regret not dropping that suit nearest charity bin. Unless of course you can return or resell it.

 

Mistakes such as these are painful, I've made them myself. But why not turn it into a learning opportunity rather than to continue on a course that wastes more time and money?

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)