or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2302

post #34516 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

No, jeans would have the same challenges as any northern lights look. And light colored jeans would look terrible with it. Many people on the CM side of the house get lazy with jeans and just assume they can wear it with anything.

What's the northern lights challenge again? Draws attention only to top block and elongates it or something like that?
post #34517 of 37394

I now work in an environment where I need to wear suits and sport jackets. I've been rotating 2-3 suit/jacket combinations and need some additional pieces as soon as possible as I need to let out my existing pieces (I gained some weight the last couple of months), which require me to dry clean them first. I'm trying to think of the colour of suits and sport jackets that best work with my complexion.

 

Some details about me:

- I'm 5"4, Asian and with an average build, putting me in a 36S for practically everything. 36R is fine as I can make alterations if need be.

- I'm not one that goes for a slim fit.

- I will be leaning on Spier and Mackay as well as SuitSupply for the time being, given budgetary restraints.

- I can go casual business dress as well as formal, but no denim. "Louder" outfits are fine, given the nature of the business (fashion retail).

- I currently own a charcoal SuitSupply suit, as well as a green wool Ring Jacket sport jacket.

 

A navy suit is something I intend on getting, as a normal grey suit. There are a few items from S&M I'm curious about that I intend on posting up a little bit later, when I have more time.

 

Any other colour/pattern suggestions? Any "staples" that I'm not thinking of? I'd like to settle on suiting before seeking shirt/tie advice.

post #34518 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Yes! Thanks @lordsuperb
The Samuelson jackets are good.

So, what's it going to be, a suit or kitchen remodel?
post #34519 of 37394
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopicK View Post

I now work in an environment where I need to wear suits and sport jackets. I've been rotating 2-3 suit/jacket combinations and need some additional pieces as soon as possible as I need to let out my existing pieces (I gained some weight the last couple of months), which require me to dry clean them first. I'm trying to think of the colour of suits and sport jackets that best work with my complexion.

Some details about me:


- I'm 5"4, Asian and with an average build, putting me in a 36S for practically everything. 36R is fine as I can make alterations if need be.
- I'm not one that goes for a slim fit.
- I will be leaning on Spier and Mackay as well as SuitSupply for the time being, given budgetary restraints.
- I can go casual business dress as well as formal, but no denim. "Louder" outfits are fine, given the nature of the business (fashion retail).
- I currently own a charcoal SuitSupply suit, as well as a green wool Ring Jacket sport jacket.

A navy suit is something I intend on getting, as a normal grey suit. There are a few items from S&M I'm curious about that I intend on posting up a little bit later, when I have more time.

Any other colour/pattern suggestions? Any "staples" that I'm not thinking of? I'd like to settle on suiting before seeking shirt/tie advice.

Budget? How many new jackets/suits? What is your current line up of suits? Do you live in an area with a lot of seasonal variation? Are you going to need to wear ties often? Shoe situation? Pant situation? What's your blood type? Who does Dokdo belong to? What model suitsupply and how does it fit?
post #34520 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopicK View Post
 

I now work in an environment where I need to wear suits and sport jackets. I've been rotating 2-3 suit/jacket combinations and need some additional pieces as soon as possible as I need to let out my existing pieces (I gained some weight the last couple of months), which require me to dry clean them first. I'm trying to think of the colour of suits and sport jackets that best work with my complexion.

 

Some details about me:

[...]

- I'm not one that goes for a slim fit.

- I will be leaning on Spier and Mackay as well as SuitSupply for the time being, given budgetary restraints.

[...]

 

You may these two things to be in conflict, at least so far as suits are concerned. 

 

Suit Supply trousers in particular are pretty tight-fitting.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #34521 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

You may these two things to be in conflict, at least so far as suits are concerned. 

Suit Supply trousers in particular are pretty tight-fitting.

Cheers,

Ac

Well, at least for SuitSupply, part of the reason for the slim fit is sales associates trying to get people into jackets one size too small. I feel like there are enough models that he could find something that works jacket-wise. Trousers may depend on his drop between jacket and trouser.
post #34522 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post
 
Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

You may these two things to be in conflict, at least so far as suits are concerned. 

Suit Supply trousers in particular are pretty tight-fitting.

Cheers,

Ac

 


Well, at least for SuitSupply, part of the reason for the slim fit is sales associates trying to get people into jackets one size too small. I feel like there are enough models that he could find something that works jacket-wise. Trousers may depend on his drop between jacket and trouser.

 

All I can say is I'm thin, but the suit trousers in the jacket sizes that fit me are still narrower than I prefer, especially at the bottom.

 

It's why I'm not alone in bemoaning the fact that SS doesn't offer more suit separates.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #34523 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


Well, at least for SuitSupply, part of the reason for the slim fit is sales associates trying to get people into jackets one size too small. I feel like there are enough models that he could find something that works jacket-wise. Trousers may depend on his drop between jacket and trouser.


This.

post #34524 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post


What's the northern lights challenge again? Draws attention only to top block and elongates it or something like that?


My theory is quite the opposite. It draws attention to the bottom block. Dark colors, when contrasting with light colors, draw the eye. Artists know this and use shadows and other dark features to draw the eye to certain things. The only problem is that when a dark object is used in contrast with a light object it tends to overwhelm the light object in terms of what the eye notices. This isn't a problem when the dark object is on the top half because it draws the eye up to your face. When it's on the bottom is draws the eyes to the ground and the shoes. Shoes are nice, but they should never be the focal point of a fit. Let me caveat all this by saying that this doesn't mean northern lights (or shall I say, dark bottoms) looks can't work. They certainly can. But for the reasons I have mentioned, they are more challenging.

 

By the by, Iso, I don't think that look you posted works.

post #34525 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsuperb View Post

So, what's it going to be, a suit or kitchen remodel?
A mtm with houndstooth!
post #34526 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Thuts? Samuelson



I can't tell if I'm being trolled with the jacket a size too small....
post #34527 of 37394
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

I am at 15th & H st NW.
It better not be a strip club, you're leading me too.
I see that they're legit!
How are their prices???

No the strip club is at 19th and K (or so I hear, of course).
post #34528 of 37394
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post

I can't tell if I'm being trolled with the jacket a size too small....

Yes. That is that state a The Noodles post evokes.
post #34529 of 37394

If you had another person take the pics, why are they still at a terrible angle?

 

(We can see the picture is sitting down in the reflection)

post #34530 of 37394

Any feedback on this suit fitting?

I have marked several things I did not like with red lines - can these be fixed by altering?

Overall  - I am more disappointed in my own body - an unhealthy bulge has built up over a year of not doing much. I think it is not that much the fault of the suit but more myself that it doesn't fit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In any case - would appreciate any feedback.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)