Edited by venividivicibj - 2/20/16 at 8:49am
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:50 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2298post #34456 of 375332/20/16 at 7:37ampost #34457 of 375332/20/16 at 7:39ampost #34458 of 375332/20/16 at 10:59ampost #34459 of 375332/20/16 at 1:00pmQuote:
My trial suit was a 44. I'm 6'2 and 195 pounds and go with the wide lapel option. There is no way I'd describe it as medium width or needing an additional 0.5 inch. As stated previously, I prefer the wide over the standard, but want to make sure we're passing along accurate information here.
Edit: should have read the last few pages first; I now see this discussion has gone completely and needs no more discussion.
In light of the narrower lapel trend of the last 10 years or so, sure, I could concede that the KW "wide" lapels (on a 44 or larger jacket) are fairly wide in comparison. But in terms of classic proportions, I stand by my sentiment that a lapel that extends halfway to the shoulder seam isn't really that wide at all--it's fairly standard and balanced.
But to each his own. I agree that this discussion has run its course. Hopefully we've offered @CaptainTohm plenty of food for thought.
Edited by llamaone - 2/20/16 at 2:16pmpost #34460 of 375332/20/16 at 1:26pmpost #34461 of 375332/20/16 at 1:29pmThread Starterpost #34462 of 375332/20/16 at 1:43pmFWIW regarding lapel sizing, I just measured my SuSu jackets the Kent Wang way.
My Washington jacket that looks good with a flashy outfit but is too much otherwise has nearly 5" lapels (peaked, of course). Honestly, that wouldn't even bug me if the gorge was higher.
The Hudson that Caustic said fits me perfectly in width is 4" exactly.
Measuring my KW trial jacket, it's 3.5" the KW way (go figure), and 3.25" measured straight across, or the way we were all previously debating lapel widths (or at least I was).
With that in mind, I think the wide lapels will be a quarter inch wider than the lapels which were widely agreed to fit me close to ideal. Still not perfect, but not as extreme as I was worried about. I believe I'd rather an extra .25" than lose .75" on my ideal width, but I'm still not 100% committed, I'll have to sleep (AKA, drink) on it.
Thanks again for the HUGE amount of input. I've learned a great deal during this discussion, and commissioning this suit has been both a positive and learning experience. I've been hesitant to come in as a newbie and post very much since I have so many rudimentary questions, but everyone has been accommodating and gracious with their knowledge.post #34463 of 375332/23/16 at 7:18amI'm going to continue soaking up free advice until you guys start charging me.
I've finally given up on Meermin due to their low QC and painful break-ins. I ordered a Carmina Rain in 8.5UK, and an Inca model in both 8.5UK and 9UK.
Both the 8.5 models were too tight width wise and also in the instep. The Inca 9 fits pretty well, except the instep has a pretty steep V.
The rest of the shoe fits well, there's no way I could go up in size due to the length. For reference, I've been measured at Brooks Brothers as a 9.5E US, but it seems like I might be able to make a 10US/9UK work on occasion.
What do you think, gentleman? Do I send these back? And does anyone have recommendations for my wide and high instep foot? Some have recommended Bonafe to me, but I emailed Skoaktiebolaget and they didn't seem to think there was a huge difference between the wider Carmina lasts and Bonafe.post #34464 of 375332/23/16 at 11:59pmpost #34465 of 375332/24/16 at 2:23ampost #34466 of 375332/24/16 at 5:11ampost #34467 of 375332/24/16 at 5:12ampost #34468 of 375332/24/16 at 5:21ampost #34469 of 375332/24/16 at 6:44ampost #34470 of 375332/24/16 at 6:46am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 8 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 8 seconds ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 3 minutes ago
- › Introduce yourself. 8 minutes ago
- › 3 Piece Fresco Suit??? 14 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 26 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 31 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 34 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 37 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 44 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway