or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2297

post #34441 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post


Way back in 2009. I was in the southwest, just small rural towns as well as several places in Kosovo and Macedonia. Loved my time there but Balkans people have a funny sense of style. Which is perfectly ok because they have foods like Ajver. I still eat that on toast to this day.

So, Ajvar.... I do the home made. Tried Kajmak?

Wow, South West. You either have strange job, or you are adventurous.
I got to say though, talking about style... That would be like judging American style by Arcansas (and do not mean to offend anyone from Arcansas). Belgrade is quite different. Not because it's my home town, but.. :-)
post #34442 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post



Yea or nay?

I might be crazy, but there is something wrong about monk strap and brogueing...
post #34443 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post


So, Ajvar.... I do the home made. Tried Kajmak?

Wow, South West. You either have strange job, or you are adventurous.
I got to say though, talking about style... That would be like judging American style by Arcansas (and do not mean to offend anyone from Arcansas). Belgrade is quite different. Not because it's my home town, but.. :-)


Kajmak? Never tried that, that I know of. Is it similar?

 

Hey, there are some great tailors in Arkansas! I get what you mean though. I just like farmers, I guess. Made some good friends out there. :D

post #34444 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

If I see another pair of suede on this forum, I am gonna go to McDonald's and have a whopper!

Good luck.
post #34445 of 37392

On suede: I like it. The pre-occupation with it on this forum (mainly because of Clags, I imagine) is a bit much. It isn't the "be all and the end all" as Shakespeare once said.

post #34446 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post


Kajmak? Never tried that, that I know of. Is it similar?

Hey, there are some great tailors in Arkansas! I get what you mean though. I just like farmers, I guess. Made some good friends out there. biggrin.gif

No, hard to explain. Something like creamy white cheese, but not really cheese. Quite unique for that part of world, and most people get blown away when they try it.
post #34447 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Congrats on your move to Canada BTW.

Thanks. Moved with (my wife's) job two years ago, but also managed to get intercompany transfer (God bless USA multinationals). Still can't decide whether I like it.

Can't wear suede shoes year round :-)
post #34448 of 37392
Thread Starter 
Flattered, but you give me too much credit. I only own three pair and I post pictures of my shoes less than once a week.

I do love me some suede.
---
And suede absolutely can be worn year round. Particularly snuff.
post #34449 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Do you know how KW measures his lapels - (measuring the red line vs the black line) Would have a large effect on how large the 4.25 lapel actually is

 

Neither.  According to a post from Kent Wang himself on 8/19/12 in his affiliate thread, this is how they measure notch lapel width:

 

 

Measured this way, 4.25" results in a narrower lapel than either of the two measuring methods @venividivicibj posted.  I have bought two KW suits with the wide (4.25") lapel option--size 44.  I would consider the lapel width as medium (or perhaps ever so slightly wider than "medium"), well-proportioned, conservative.  They are most certainly not "extreme" by any means, as @Caustic Man suggested.  They just barely reach the midpoint between the collar and shoulder.  I would actually prefer them to be a tad wider.  Given a much smaller jacket size--say 38 or smaller--the "wide" lapels might indeed be wide.  But on 42 or larger, they are more of a medium width.  For a truly "wide" lapel, they'd need to be at least .25" or .5" wider in my opinion.  And again, I would prefer this, since I like to err on the side of wider lapels.  But nothing crazy.

 

@CaptainTohm I suggest you go with the "wide" KW lapels, without question.


Edited by llamaone - 2/20/16 at 2:33am
post #34450 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post


No, hard to explain. Something like creamy white cheese, but not really cheese. Quite unique for that part of world, and most people get blown away when they try it.

 

I'm super curious to try this, now. I'm going to look for it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs77 View Post


Thanks. Moved with (my wife's) job two years ago, but also managed to get intercompany transfer (God bless USA multinationals). Still can't decide whether I like it.

Can't wear suede shoes year round :-)

 

There are good an bad things about Canada, as with any other place, I think. Been to Toronto a couple times and I enjoyed it. Rather dirty city, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Flattered, but you give me too much credit. I only own three pair and I post pictures of my shoes less than once a week.

 

It's less how many you own than how you talk about them. Not that it isn't deserved to some degree, but it's suede. It has always been a secondary material when it comes to shoes.

post #34451 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post



Yea or nay?

Nay.
Too girly, fussy
post #34452 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post

Too girly

 

Great, now he's going to buy them. lol

post #34453 of 37392
Thread Starter 
Zing!

But Iso, I'd pass. They simply aren't attractive. Shortwing loafers are bizarre. Too much open space on the vamp.
post #34454 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaone View Post
 

 

Neither.  According to a post from Kent Wang himself on 8/19/12 in his affiliate thread, this is how they measure notch lapel width:

 

 

Measured this way, 4.25" results in a narrower lapel than either of the two measuring methods @venividivicibj posted.  I have bought two KW suits with the wide (4.25") lapel option--size 44.  I would consider the lapel width as medium (or perhaps ever so slightly wider than "medium"), well-proportioned, conservative.  They are most certainly not "extreme" by any means, as @Caustic Man suggested.  They just barely reach the midpoint between the collar and shoulder.  I would actually prefer them to be a tad wider.  Given a much smaller jacket size--say 38 or smaller--the "wide" lapels might indeed be wide.  But on 42 or larger, they are more of a medium width.  For a truly "wide" lapel, they'd need to be at least .25" or .5" wider in my opinion.  And again, I would prefer this, since I like to err on the side of wider lapels.  But nothing crazy.

 

@CaptainTohm I suggest you go with the "wide" KW lapels, without question.

 

My trial suit was a 44.  I'm 6'2 and 195 pounds and go with the wide lapel option.  There is no way I'd describe it as medium width or needing an additional 0.5 inch.  As stated previously, I prefer the wide over the standard, but want to make sure we're passing along accurate information here.

 

Edit:  should have read the last few pages first; I now see this discussion has gone completely :deadhorse: and needs no more discussion.

post #34455 of 37392

I mean they still look amazing to me, but I won't buy them =P If I still like them next year I might, though. I might see if I can try it on at a store next time I go by.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)