or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2283

post #34231 of 37396
You're going to waste a perfect opportunity for linen?
post #34232 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Ha! No, we only saw one heartbeat but wife wants triplets and just get it over with. That'd be nice and a nightmare.

We wanted one child and ended up with twins, conceived a week after our honeymoon. No time to enjoy being newlyweds, but now that all is said and done, we wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Looking back, having only one would have felt like we missed out, although I'm sure that will not be the case for anybody but parents of multiples (within reason).
post #34233 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

You're going to waste a perfect opportunity for linen?


He's got a point. You'll need something for Derby anyway.

post #34234 of 37396
Go with solids. RAF blue is perfect for spring summer. Seasonality doesn't change canvassing IMO, but may push you to half or quarter lined. Personally I wouldn't do a patch breast pocket on something I am wearing as a suit, but patch hip pockets are fine.
post #34235 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Does this mean you won't be getting any new suits?
Suits are the least of my worries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTohm View Post

Working on my first Kent Wang MTM with a blue casual summer suit. What swatches do you guys like out of these? I already have a navy suit and a dark blue odd jacket. I can't decide if I should do something more fun (1293 or 1295) or stick with solids (the first three swatches).
The 5th? It looks like a windowpane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post

We wanted one child and ended up with twins, conceived a week after our honeymoon. No time to enjoy being newlyweds, but now that all is said and done, we wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Looking back, having only one would have felt like we missed out, although I'm sure that will not be the case for anybody but parents of multiples (within reason).
post #34236 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

You're going to waste a perfect opportunity for linen?

I love linen, but would probably want one slightly more conservative summer suit before getting a linen one. Not sure how wearable his current navy suit is in summer. Guess he could tell us.

Another option would be a wool linen blend. I have one if RAF blue that I love. My linen suit is tan; figure embrace the wrinkles on something designed to look more casual.
post #34237 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post


He's got a point. You'll need something for Derby anyway.

I asked for wool/linen blends, and Aaron said these were the best summer weight/weave wools they had and made it sound like he didn't have any linen blends available.. Pure linen scares me because the only linen item I have is a blend (linen/silk/wool) and it wrinkles quite a bit. I know you're not supposed to care buttttt, I found myself wearing my open weave dark blue wool blazer a lot last year and being happier with it.

I'll look through some linen swatches though. I suppose living in the south, I'll have to learn to love linen one way or another. I'll get ahold of some swatches and report back to compare. Thanks for the feedback!
post #34238 of 37396
I mostly suggested it because what he said his work environment doesn't expect suits. I think conforming to formality while still being better dressed is a way of subtle elegance.

Still blue hopsack would be good too (or fresco). I think RAF blue would be good, though I personally don't mind something more saturated.
post #34239 of 37396
Picture and link of some linen blends that just popped up on KW.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1620/24663702900_1637ce4f98_k.jpg

If I'm reading this right, the three top rows are mostly linen blends. Options two and three on the top left hand row look interesting if I decided to go with a solid color (I wouldn't mind having a brown suit, as my brown Hudson SuSu blazer has gotten more wear than my other f/w jackets all put together). I don't see any patterns I love, although I admittedly struggle to imagine swatches made up.

A ton of stripes, which I imagine would look odd on a casual suit or jacket...
post #34240 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I love linen, but would probably want one slightly more conservative summer suit before getting a linen one. Not sure how wearable his current navy suit is in summer. Guess he could tell us.

Another option would be a wool linen blend. I have one if RAF blue that I love. My linen suit is tan; figure embrace the wrinkles on something designed to look more casual.
My navy suit is a SuSu traveler, so it breathes a little not a lot. It's wearable in the summer if I'm not planning on walking more than two blocks for lunch.

Once again, I am grateful for the ongoing feedback!
post #34241 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTohm View Post

My navy suit is a SuSu traveler, so it breathes a little not a lot. It's wearable in the summer if I'm not planning on walking more than two blocks for lunch.

Once again, I am grateful for the ongoing feedback!

I like the idea of having one at least semi-conservative option no matter what the weather. I'd probably do RAF blue and at least 50% non-linen. Maybe get a tan or brown linen suit in the future if you like the look and wear the jacket separately a bit.
post #34242 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Suits are the least of my worries.

 

I guess we'll have to go one seeing the only two suits you seems to own these days then. :smarmy:

post #34243 of 37396

@CaptainTohm go Madras and never look back...

 

post #34244 of 37396

thats actually a pretty nice jacket caustic.

post #34245 of 37396

Shanks. 1960s vintage.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)