or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2271

post #34051 of 37417
It is all just a fad.
Slim suits will go out of fashion just like the baggy pants from the late 90s. I see too many members here dressed well and do not give off that grandpa vibe... maybe except for that Noodles guy.
post #34052 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

EFV is a good example of someone who wears very high wasited pleated trousers without looking old. I use his pictures actually, as a demonstration when people speak of pleats and high waisted trousers as "old looking" and so far everyone concedes that it doesn't look old fashioned.

Anyway there's nothing wrong with looking "old" per se, anyway, I think the "grandpa" look is just someone who's body shape has changed since their more robust years and stuff generally doesn't fit well, especially for those who've shrunk, at least that's what I think of when people say "grandpa". If that stuff fit well, I doubt it's anywhere as much of an issue, even if details like lapel width and so on can come and go in popularity.

Too nice! shog[1].gif

I could give you a list of a several people who wear high waist + pleats well, and never look frumpy.
post #34053 of 37417

I'm still not sold on polo shirts though.

 

me (Click to show)

Most of my outfit involve jackets that cover up the trousers so it's not so noticeable either way, but here is one of my own outfits that show relatively high waisted pleated trousers and I like it a lot.

Ignore belt/boots combo and sleeve length, the sweater wasn't adjusted properly.

 

 

Further extending my tie collections, thinking of these 3:

 

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Accessories/Ties/HandRolled-Cashmere-Ties-10-Colours.html Forest Green

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Accessories/Ties/Grey-and-Brown-Hand-Rolled-Cashmere-Tie.html

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Accessories/Ties/Navy-Shantung-Grenadine-Tie-with-Spots.html

 

Thoughts?

 

I have no solid dark green tie, only a mint linen one, only spotted tie I have is also navy, but is a knit, maybe I shouldn't get it? I have a few stripe ties, but no brown one.

 

Also, thoughts on an SC in this? http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/510/patterns/the-wellington-check


Edited by Isolation - 2/11/16 at 1:51pm
post #34054 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

Its funny on Yahoo home page they said Eli Manning dressed like a grandpa. He was wearing a gunclub jacket and a light blue shirt. Seems SF appropriate to me lol

Conclusion: SF appropriate = grandpa   adult

 

:)

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #34055 of 37417
Do suede shoes stretch more than say calf leather or cordovan?
post #34056 of 37417

From searching and experience, yes. Perhaps not "more" but rather, stretch more easily, not sure, but certainly it takes fewer wears to conform to size on same last, in my experience.

post #34057 of 37417
Erm, good question, not in my experience but then....
post #34058 of 37417
Ah ok.

Speaking of stretching - how tight/snug should shoes be? I have been to various shoe outfitters (CJ boutique, the armory, other shoe stores) and have gotten differing answers. Some advocate a very tight shoe initially - almost to the point where it is uncomfortable an then allowing it to stretch. Other shoe salesmen recommend comfort from the get go.

@cleav

perhaps time to try suede so you can precisely answer this question smile.gif
post #34059 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuP View Post

Ah ok.

Speaking of stretching - how tight/snug should shoes be? I have been to various shoe outfitters (CJ boutique, the armory, other shoe stores) and have gotten differing answers. Some advocate a very tight shoe initially - almost to the point where it is uncomfortable an then allowing it to stretch. Other shoe salesmen recommend comfort from the get go.

@cleav

perhaps time to try suede so you can precisely answer this question smile.gif

Try suede? ahem!

No, my point was that suede does not stretch More or Less than my other shoes/boots in my experience nod[1].gif
post #34060 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuP View Post

Ah ok.

Speaking of stretching - how tight/snug should shoes be? I have been to various shoe outfitters (CJ boutique, the armory, other shoe stores) and have gotten differing answers. Some advocate a very tight shoe initially - almost to the point where it is uncomfortable an then allowing it to stretch. Other shoe salesmen recommend comfort from the get go.

@cleav

perhaps time to try suede so you can precisely answer this question smile.gif

IME, I feel like your foot should feel some pressure on the ball when you first purchase, and should be slightly uncomfortable the first wear. Not so uncomfortable that you need to take them off halfway through the day, mind you. If your feet are folding in on themselves, the shoe is too small.

I think that as long as your entire foot is enveloped in the shoe, you are good to go. If the ball of you foot is not hitting the side of the shoe, that may be an indication that the shoe is a touch too large.

I think that it should be as tight as possible, with the caveat that it should not be so uncomfortable that it is uncomfortable to wear for an extended period of time.

Some heel slippage at first is not the end of the world -- once the sole breaks in that should be less of an issue.
post #34061 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post
 

Further extending my tie collections, thinking of these 3:

 

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Accessories/Ties/HandRolled-Cashmere-Ties-10-Colours.html Forest Green

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Accessories/Ties/Grey-and-Brown-Hand-Rolled-Cashmere-Tie.html

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Accessories/Ties/Navy-Shantung-Grenadine-Tie-with-Spots.html

 

Thoughts?

 

I have no solid dark green tie, only a mint linen one, only spotted tie I have is also navy, but is a knit, maybe I shouldn't get it? I have a few stripe ties, but no brown one.

 

Also, thoughts on an SC in this? http://www.themerchantfox.co.uk/prod/510/patterns/the-wellington-check

 

If input from someone just getting started is welcome: I find a dark green solid grenadine to be among the most useful / well used of my ties (along with a navy cashmere) and would expect it's a very wise choice. It just depends whether cashmeres fill a need more than some other kind of solid. I've completely gone off dots, but I think only because I started out with quite a few  woven silk dots and transitioned towards solids with more texture, and stripes.

post #34062 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Try suede? ahem!

No, my point was that suede does not stretch More or Less than my other shoes/boots in my experience nod[1].gif

"Try suede," he says snork[1].gif

Cleav invented suede.
post #34063 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

IME, I feel like your foot should feel some pressure on the ball when you first purchase, and should be slightly uncomfortable the first wear. Not so uncomfortable that you need to take them off halfway through the day, mind you. If your feet are folding in on themselves, the shoe is too small.

I think that as long as your entire foot is enveloped in the shoe, you are good to go. If the ball of you foot is not hitting the side of the shoe, that may be an indication that the shoe is a touch too large.

I think that it should be as tight as possible, with the caveat that it should not be so uncomfortable that it is uncomfortable to wear for an extended period of time.

Some heel slippage at first is not the end of the world -- once the sole breaks in that should be less of an issue.

Appreciate the input. I wonder what a bespoke shoe maker thinks of this query.
post #34064 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Try suede? ahem!

No, my point was that suede does not stretch More or Less than my other shoes/boots in my experience nod[1].gif

My mistake! I had you confused for another gent who had an aversion to suede - the name escapes me at the moment.
post #34065 of 37417

well suede is calf, just turned inside out. so it shouldn't stretch any more or any else.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)