or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2269

post #34021 of 37405

sacre (no) bleu!!!

post #34022 of 37405

Can linen fabrics be altered to be let out like wool, or will they show evidence of it like with cotton?

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

For those in the know, this is a very odd thing for me to be wearing:
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

All you need is 2 more for Bingo.

post #34023 of 37405
@Claghorn, grey suit. Shocking.
post #34024 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

Can linen fabrics be altered to be let out like wool, or will they show evidence of it like with cotton?

 

Altered linen will generally show evidence of the alterations, like with cotton.

post #34025 of 37405

Linen will show less. Cotton is different because you can see where it was previously stitched. Linen you might be able to tell because it does exhibit some fading, but it depends on how long you wore it/used it prior to alerations

post #34026 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

Linen will show less. Cotton is different because you can see where it was previously stitched. Linen you might be able to tell because it does exhibit some fading, but it depends on how long you wore it/used it prior to alerations

 

I'm more concerned about the stitching showing than the fading, as the trousers are brand new.

post #34027 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

 

I'm more concerned about the stitching showing than the fading, as the trousers are brand new.

taking in should be fine, as the old stiching area is hidden. taking out -  IDK how much it'll show, depends on weave of the linen, variegation of the fabric, etc etc etc

post #34028 of 37405
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

@Claghorn, grey suit. Shocking.

Bingo
post #34029 of 37405

Gents, some of you might be interested in this new curated thread

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/517882/ten-ties-five-jackets-10-5-thread

 

I've asked a cast of characters to make the first set of contributions but the thread will open up in the near future.

post #34030 of 37405
[So I received that SuSu SC I was discussing earlier. The material is see through.

How's the fit? Excuse the terrible pics. Snapped them quick. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



post #34031 of 37405

^ Shoulders and length look pretty good. It appears in the photo that there's bunching at your lower back, which could possibly be addressed by letting the waist out. It also looks like you have a low right shoulder, which is causing a bit of crumpling on that side. I have the same problem. A little more looseness around the waist might relax that a bit and look better overall, IMO. Nice fabric.

post #34032 of 37405
Signs you probably need a new alterations tailor:

Stumpy Lebanese guy wearing a fedora looks quizzically at my 3-roll-2 (Formosa) jacket,

'why is there an extra button here? And look at this button hole! Blegh! Son, next time bring me your jacket and I will make you a buttonhole to be proud of!'

After asking for a 2" cuff on the pants,

'No one has 2 inches! One inch!'
'Er, 2 please'
'One!'
'Fine, 1.75'
'One!'
post #34033 of 37405
ONE INCH !!!

post #34034 of 37405
*rocks back and forth in fetal position*
post #34035 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post

Signs you probably need a new alterations tailor:

Stumpy Lebanese guy wearing a fedora looks quizzically at my 3-roll-2 (Formosa) jacket,

'why is there an extra button here? And look at this button hole! Blegh! Son, next time bring me your jacket and I will make you a buttonhole to be proud of!'

After asking for a 2" cuff on the pants,

'No one has 2 inches! One inch!'
'Er, 2 please'
'One!'
'Fine, 1.75'
'One!'
Ha!
I had the same damn discussion with my tailor when I asked for 2" cuffs. She stronglu recommended no cuffs to look youger. I rejected her recommendation. Then she talked me into 1.75" cuffs and called me old-fashioned and grandpa-like dresser.

@GuP
Waist appears tight.
How tall are you btw? The jacket appears to be short but it does cover your seat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)