I thought no watch was only for weddings (and funerals)?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:23 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2268post #34006 of 375362/7/16 at 11:14ampost #34007 of 375362/7/16 at 11:16amQuote:Ha! I am with you. All I carry is a slim cardholder for driver's license and a debit card. And I got rid of all my keys and just carry a car key fob. I got a 500 usd wallet that I got as a gift but it is just collecting dust. Sorry father in-law.
...then I got a 5.7(?) Inch samsung note 4....post #34008 of 375362/7/16 at 11:32ampost #34009 of 375362/7/16 at 11:44am
Many of the pics I posted in the white tie thread were from my GM1. I think the image quality is noticably better, particularly in tough lighting conditions.
I don't mind the bulk of the camera, particularly when at an incredible venue such as the Hofburg or Staadtopera.
Comparison with an iPhone pic.post #34010 of 375362/7/16 at 12:30pmpost #34011 of 375362/7/16 at 1:31pmpost #34012 of 375362/7/16 at 1:33pmpost #34013 of 375362/7/16 at 2:23pmQuote:Originally Posted by Coxsackie
@EliodA , is it really the case that one shouldn't wear a watch to a wedding or a funeral? Never heard that one before.
I am not ElioA but for whatever is worth, in my country the custom is that if you wear a morning coat (is what we wear at weddings) you don't wear a wristwatch. A pocket watch yes, but not a wristwatch.
Don't know if it is the same in other places.post #34014 of 375362/7/16 at 2:42pmQuote:
Not sure about the watch either, but traveling light is the way to go. I can't stand having extras crap in my pockets and particularly phones these days are more inconvenient just to carry around… I would probably just leave it.
@Coxsackie agreed Vienna is fantastic… never lived there either, but have visited a couple times. Not sure how all that Sacher tortre would help my fitness.post #34015 of 375362/7/16 at 4:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by Coxsackie
@EliodA , is it really the case that one shouldn't wear a watch to a wedding or a funeral? Never heard that one before.Quote:
^ I believe it's this, but I'm not sure, so that's why I was asking. As @Chulillo says, apparently a pocket watch is deemed acceptable in those situations.
@Coxsackie didn't you have Viennese ancestors?
Edited by EliodA - 2/7/16 at 4:54pmpost #34016 of 375362/7/16 at 4:36pmQuote:
You’d love it.
Strictly speaking I’ve never lived in Vienna, but I have several times spent a month or so in a town about 1/2 south by train while commuting into the city for research, so I've a good sense of what it's like to live as a local. It’s one of my favorite cities: clean, safe, with a well-educated and sophisticated populace, and, as Vienna’s own Karl Kraus put it, “the streets are paved with culture.”
They also tend to dress a touch more formally when they go out, which I appreciate.
Acpost #34017 of 375362/7/16 at 5:08pm
My father was Czech, my mother was from Linz but grew up in Vienna. After their marriage, my parents lived in Vienna for two years, just around the time "The Third Man" was made.
For part of that time they rented an apartment in a building on Schwarzspanierstrasse, I believe no. 8, which is one of many "Beethoven houses" around Vienna. They weren't in his apartment though. I remember staying in Vienna with my parents for a week or so one winter. I was ten. We went to a little basement restaurant/bar at which Anton Karas - the zither player on "The Third Man" - was playing. We also attended operas at the Staatsoper. All a bit heavy for a little boy.
My father maintained a lifelong interest in Viennese culture, founding the Australian branch of the Robert Stolz Music Society (Stolz was famed as the "last great Viennese waltz king").
I've been back a few times since, but unfortunately the last time was already over twenty years ago. I really can't think of anywhere in the world I'd rather live. (Although Melbourne's not at all bad!)post #34018 of 375362/7/16 at 6:20pmQuote:
Looks to be a great camera, having copied the large sensor in compact body idea from Sony.
We switched from MkI to MkIV, and it's night and day.
Comparison between LX100 and RX100, pretty much a dead race, yellow is where the LX is better, grey for RX. Ergonomics are a bit of a pain with the RX, no doubt, and it's pretty dear.Quote:
I unlocked immediately when I noticed my laps. Might do a trial but only when I have my spare in reach.Quote:
I remember those times well.
Edited by DeSense - 2/7/16 at 6:36pmpost #34019 of 375362/7/16 at 9:59pmpost #34020 of 375362/8/16 at 10:33amThread Starter
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Cars We Drive! 4 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 5 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › NWOT Kamakura New York Fit Grey Pique Knit Buttondown S 15.5/34 13 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 13 minutes ago
- › Pre-wash Raw Denim at Home? 15 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 15 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 16 minutes ago
- › Poor man's watch thread 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...