Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:51 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2242post #33616 of 375361/25/16 at 10:28pmpost #33617 of 375361/25/16 at 11:20pmIso, I'm late to the party, but the tweed SB is too short and probably too tight at the waist. There isn't just pulling at the button, there's bunching at the hip.
Your DB pics are pretty much useless for assessing the length of the jackets. Robopose, camera a decent distance away, between waist and chest high. As for the other examples you posted, any pro shoot pictures are likely pinned/clipped at the back to make the jackets form-fitting in an unrealistic way.
Slewfoot's SB three piece doesn't look to be pulling at the button, more like folding over at the button. The DB pulls a bit, but that is apparently intentional by some makers. I think gdl is advocate of the DB pull.post #33618 of 375361/25/16 at 11:30pmpost #33619 of 375361/25/16 at 11:48pmpost #33620 of 375361/25/16 at 11:56pmpost #33621 of 375361/26/16 at 12:04ampost #33622 of 375361/26/16 at 1:29ampost #33623 of 375361/26/16 at 1:36ampost #33624 of 375361/26/16 at 3:06amQuote:
At the age of 28, I was 6' tall and about 145lb. I ate voraciously too.
Then I started to lift.
Then I got married.
Now I'm 5' 11" and weigh 170lb. I wish it were all muscle, that extra, but alas it isn't. I think my stomach bones are bigger though.post #33625 of 375361/26/16 at 3:10am
Oh, and even later to the party than SB, but Iso, since you're already in London, I guess you should look seriously at Steed. I believe all those Slewfoot pics are of Steed garments. Here's another one, which even better demonstrates how that classic English draped and nipped cut can work:
That is form-fitting and relatively waist-suppressed, yet the balance is excellent and there's not one bit of fabric pulling anywhere. OK it's a robopose but I doubt he has the back of the garment clipped.
This jacket extends a good 2", maybe even 3" lower than your tweed from a few pages back.post #33626 of 375361/26/16 at 3:43ampost #33627 of 375361/26/16 at 4:13amYou guys are just jealous of my nice butt and don't want me to show it off.
But in all seriousness I can see it too short now, and will get any future ones longer, and I think maybe lower the buttoning point a tiny bit to accommodate.
I probably do prefer it on the shorter end so probably will just lengthen it by .5-1 inch, sounds reasonable?post #33628 of 375361/26/16 at 4:27ampost #33629 of 375361/26/16 at 4:53am
Guys, since you were so helpful, I thought I'd make another request on something different. What are your thoughts on trenchcoat length? I intend these coats to be worn as overcoats (or over waistcoats/sweaters), and will have varying amounts of bulk underneath them. So I went with the trad route and had my newer ones quite long, but I feel that while practical, the proportions look a bit off. I've included a shorter linen trench as a counter example. I understand that length is a matter of personal preference, but some opinions would help here as I think I could like either, and also something in between.
re winter twill
Wouldn't it be better to just get wool/cavalry twill? I have a pair that I haven't worn too much yet but which seems very solid.
While I do see some charm in cotton chinos, I feel like it's out weighed by it being cotton. I am thinking of getting a pair of linen/cotton mix from luxire for summer though.post #33630 of 375361/26/16 at 4:58am
Try Delfino Grand Tour for moleskin, relatively good value versus the jacketings in that book
Dugdale also has good cottons
and Loro Piana
The SATOR-like orthodoxy (flannel or jeans, nothing in between!!!) is downright crazy.
Edit: and Caccioppoli for summer cottons, very good drills, washed canvas, etc heavy weights makes up like a beast
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 36 seconds ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know 5 minutes ago
- › Soulland Boge Wool Blend Trench Coat Size S 7 minutes ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 13 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 21 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 25 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 27 minutes ago
- › BNIB Edward Green Malvern (size 7.5/8) 202 last 39 minutes ago
- › Patagonia 48 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...