or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 225

post #3361 of 37396
Yep. Speaking as someone who is 6'1 with a size 12 shoe, not knowing how to pick the correct leg opening and tapering could leave me looking like a mini golf putter.

So it ends up working out well that I hate skinny jeans and overly tapered stuff to begin with.
post #3362 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Stitchy, I'm thrilled you're looking for pants with less taper. The narrow opening kept the fit of a lot of your looks from being amazing. Big hips, big feet, and teeny ankles didn't look quite right.

my goal in life is simply to please you.
post #3363 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

@unbelragazzo

Can you expand on silhouette coherence, especially what silhouettes are ideal for elongated / chiseled shoes? I might be doing this all wrong lurker[1].gif

I don't want to be too prescriptive about it. But I think elongated shoes work well with what Vox might call "The Nailed Down Look". It's reminiscent of late 19th-century style, the caricatures of which show very very slim shoes, e.g.:



Those types of shoes don't work as well with the drape cut that came later IMHO.

I didn't want to write a post suggesting that you or anyone else is doing it all wrong. In particular because you have to think about the shapes of your clothes as they relate to the shapes of your body, much more so than you have to think about your complexion when choosing colors. So everyone will have to make different compromises.

But I do want to encourage people to think about the way the shapes of a coat, trouser, shirt collar, tie, and shoe work together, rather than just thinking about color and pattern combinations, or even "fit" as separate from silhouette.
post #3364 of 37396
Thread Starter 

An example of when pants and jacket don't "fit" with the jacket being a bit too tailored for the pants. They work well with other items, but not together.

 

 

A very poor attempt at peacocking. (Click to show)
post #3365 of 37396
I agree that that example doesn't work that well. It is possible to make an interesting silhouette out of a fitted top and a looser-bottomed trouser though. Pants have to be trim through the hips though (think 70s era tight t-shirt, bell-bottom pants). I seem to recall Ralph Lauren doing something similar a couple of years ago as well. It's definitely very stylized-looking, but I think it's attractive on a tall and slim person.
post #3366 of 37396

damn!  another point to think of.  I need to make a checklist.

 

 

One thing I just thought of to help the transition of skinny ankles/legs to large shoes is cuffs on the trousers.  You all probably already know that though.

post #3367 of 37396
i think SWD is better at coherently mixing silhouettes. i just think it lends itself more towards that mode of dress, or at least its harder to make it look right in MC. just my opinion.
post #3368 of 37396
Thread Starter 
post #3369 of 37396

dude my wedding tie?

post #3370 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

i think SWD is better at coherently mixing silhouettes. i just think it lends itself more towards that mode of dress, or at least its harder to make it look right in MC. just my opinion.

To mix silhouettes, MC would need to have silhouettes. There are essentially three: the soft-shouldered SF house style, the excessively tight BL/GQ look, and the traditional American cut you see mostly on our thrifters/eBayers. MC is fairly rigid and proscriptive -- it's often hostile toward even well-accepted stylistic choices such as structured shoulders -- so it shouldn't surprise that people aren't successfully combining various influences. For the most part, MC's primary reference is MC, while SWD draws inspiration from many sources.
post #3371 of 37396
Thread Starter 

I'm trying to think what one would need to mix silhouettes, but I feel loose on bottom is easier than loose on top (as bottom heavy looks better than top heavy imo, especially if you'll have a collar and tie to add some balance). Going through my pinterest board thing to see if I have any examples of what I'd imagine it would look like. In my head, it looks like something from the first half of the 20th century.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

dude my wedding tie?

You already bought it, right? If not, that Canali will work well with all those navy suits you love.

post #3372 of 37396
Noodles have u not ordered a damn wedding tie? Isn't you wedding t-minus 2 weeks or something?

GET A GRIP MAN!!!
post #3373 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

An example of when pants and jacket don't "fit" with the jacket being a bit too tailored for the pants. They work well with other items, but not together.

A very poor attempt at peacocking. (Click to show)

those pants look a little ill fitting, no?
post #3374 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

To mix silhouettes, MC would need to have silhouettes. There are essentially three: the soft-shouldered SF house style, the excessively tight BL/GQ look, and the traditional American cut you see mostly on our thrifters/eBayers. MC is fairly rigid and proscriptive -- it's often hostile toward even well-accepted stylistic choices such as structured shoulders -- so it shouldn't surprise that people aren't successfully combining various influences. For the most part, MC's primary reference is MC, while SWD draws inspiration from many sources.

well said as usual, doc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

You already bought it, right? If not, that Canali will work well with all those navy suits you love.

i do not like that one. but i do like the smaller scale drakes. either way, the wu PoWs are better imho.
post #3375 of 37396

I've not even gotten the ring or the wedding band!!!

I just got done prep'n for our company's audit and I am just starting to recover from sleep deprivation. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)