or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2229

post #33421 of 37392
I feel you @CaptainTohm. My issue nowadays had to do more with just not seeing things I want to buy. I can puruse thru hundreds of ties and not find a single tie I like. For suits or jackets, I need to break out of my shell.

@Caustic Man
Where have you been?
post #33422 of 37392
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

What's your size, claghorn?

38R
post #33423 of 37392
How much you thinking of selling for? tongue.gif

(Think you should keep it)
post #33424 of 37392
Thread Starter 
Probably in the 6-700USD range. It's RTW from 2012; retailed at around 1200 pounds. It's been worn less than ten times and hasn't been altered (except going from brass to horn buttons).

My wife asked me my thought process when I wear it. I explained that it's pretty much: I own a nice double breasted jacket and therefore I should wear it. Generally she's against me selling my stuff, but agrees that if I'm essentially forcing myself to wear it, it should go.
post #33425 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Probably in the 6-700USD range. It's RTW from 2012; retailed at around 1200 pounds. It's been worn less than ten times and hasn't been altered (except going from brass to horn buttons).

My wife asked me my thought process when I wear it. I explained that it's pretty much: I own a nice double breasted jacket and therefore I should wear it. Generally she's against me selling my stuff, but agrees that if I'm essentially forcing myself to wear it, it should go.

 

You should keep it. You may grow into in your later years. The fit, color, and quality is so good that you may not be able to replace it easily if you ever wanted to.

post #33426 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
 

You should keep it. You may grow into in your later years. [...]

 

This is certainly a reasonable consideration.  Neither our personal preferences nor the environments in which we find ourselves are written in stone, and we can't easily predict how either might change.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #33427 of 37392
Clags, if you like the way it looks, then perhaps an immersive approach might help make it feel more natural to wear. Maybe wear it every ten days for a couple of months. Your wear cycle will be somewhat noticeable due to its being a DB, but since it's navy (or just off navy), it won't be that big a deal.

If after the immersion it doesn't feel any more natural, sell it.
post #33428 of 37392
If Clagster doesn't like it now, I do not see him liking it later down the line. Our comments may convince him to keep it temporarily. But I think it looks good. Sell while you can and just cut the loss and move forward.
post #33429 of 37392

Clags is himself. And someone who is himself can always know himself better than we know his self. If he eventually likes it, he will. If he never likes it, he won't. The key to making the right choice is to stop thinking about it. Simply do what you feel and it will be right. Or don't do what you feel and that will be right too.

post #33430 of 37392
My suggestion is based on my own experience when I started wearing a jacket and tie. I wanted to wear them, but I definitely didn't feel "natural" wearing them. Obviously, Clags can and should do whatever he wants, but his posts made it seem like he didn't want to want to sell the jacket.
post #33431 of 37392

@Claghorn

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a really strong shoulder and close chest compared to a lot of what you wear. So, I mean, it might not be that DB doesn't work for you, but that jacket, though lovely, might not be your steeze.

post #33432 of 37392
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post

@Claghorn


Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a really strong shoulder and close chest compared to a lot of what you wear. So, I mean, it might not be that DB doesn't work for you, but that jacket, though lovely, might not be your steeze.

This is also very possible
post #33433 of 37392
Birdseye is only for suits.

Fresco is what you want for a blazersuit, not hopsack. I have one suit and three jackets in hopsack, and whereas jackets are fine, trousers never hold a crease.
post #33434 of 37392
@UrbanComposition
Funny you should say that about birdseye. I experimented with a navy birdseye jacket today and it looked terrible with a pair of gray trousers. Maybe it had more to do with the fact that the jacket was part of a suit and not a SC.
post #33435 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition View Post

Birdseye is only for suits.

Fresco is what you want for a blazersuit, not hopsack. I have one suit and three jackets in hopsack, and whereas jackets are fine, trousers never hold a crease.

Is the advice regarding hopsack trousers generally true across all facets? Would anyone think weight might make a difference in the ability to hold a crease?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)