Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:41 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2214post #33197 of 373961/8/16 at 11:57pmpost #33198 of 373961/9/16 at 5:25amBeen great this summer.Quote:Originally Posted by colco
Am I not pretty? Damn your eyes.Quote:Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox
They did, you're right. It was seeing those pictures that tempted me in the first place - the studio pic doesn't do the fabric justice
@Coxsackie - how's the suit held up this summer?
It's been great this summer, thanks.post #33199 of 373961/9/16 at 5:27amQuote:Originally Posted by Isolation
But seriously at some point it's so bold that it's beautiful. You know I don't always look at clothing only in terms of simply subtle elegance, though I hope you know I do appreciate it often.
Unrelated note. My friend who's not into clothes too much wants me to pick him something that has, paraphrase: big ass pockets to put shit into when travelling around a lot. (That is to say he is a poker player and stuff wads of money into his various pockets when walking around and is incredibly messy/forgetful that it'd be silly to try convince him to use a nice bag for this purpose).
I'm thinking this:
Any other suggestions?Quote:Originally Posted by TM79
The burgundy one is so nice. I own the brown linen field jacket from last year and really like it. With the linen one, the pockets will stretch too much if you load them up with stuff. The burgundy one is more durable so that doesn't seem like it would be an issue.
This one also looks awesome:
Another piece I happen to have acquired. In fact, I purchased it over a cup of coffee (single origin, natch) with Christian one fine summer morning in Melbourne. Been wearing it ever since. Wearing it now. It rocks.
Will post WAYWRN Casual pics in due course. (Travelling these last three weeks, hence my relative absence from this board.)post #33200 of 373961/9/16 at 5:29ampost #33201 of 373961/9/16 at 6:49ampost #33202 of 373961/9/16 at 7:03amQuote:
I ended up going with the dark brown horn. I have an older charcoal suit with dark brown (probably plastic) buttons and thought it looked nice. Thanks for your help.post #33203 of 373961/9/16 at 10:11amflvinny, Clags' tie recs are generally solid, but the pindot with herringbone would not be in my ten-tie wardrobe. And I would hold off on adding grenadine until the second round. For solids, I would strongly consider just having Sam Hober make you repp silk ties in three or four colors you like.
For shoes, black, dark brown, and burgundy captoes would make a good rotation with applicability to all of the suits you mentioned.post #33204 of 373961/9/16 at 10:27amQuote:
Agreed. I like herringbone and I like pindot. Not together, though.
I'm not crazy about silk ties, either. For me, it would basically be wools and cashmeres in the winter and mostly linen ties for the spring and summer.post #33205 of 373961/9/16 at 10:34amThread Starterpost #33206 of 373961/9/16 at 11:11ampost #33207 of 373961/9/16 at 11:23amQuote:
This was a case where I unwittingly put myself between a rock and a hard place. Make certain I wasn't referring to you, and I ran the risk of implying you're not said "sexy bitch." Leave it up to interpretation, and run the risk of implying you were the bitch in question...
All in all, I still stand by my assessment that that linen is one sexy bitch, and you cut a dashing figure in it!post #33208 of 373961/9/16 at 11:38amQuote:Originally Posted by flvinny521
I have nothing against brown. In fact, I like a lot of what you post with brown ties. My concern is just wearing grossa grenadines or knits with worsted suits. It's something I've never done before, so I should just do it and get it out of my system. I'm sure my world won't crumble.
I think that a lot of people assume that knits and Grenadine are similar when they're really not. Knits to me are strictly casual where grenadine on the other hand (especially fina) feel right at home in all professional settings. In fact, if I can only have 1 tie for the rest of my life, it'd be a Navy Grenadine.post #33209 of 373961/9/16 at 1:14pmThread Starterpost #33210 of 373961/10/16 at 8:43amQuote:Originally Posted by sugarbutch
flvinny, Clags' tie recs are generally solid, but the pindot with herringbone would not be in my ten-tie wardrobe. And I would hold off on adding grenadine until the second round. For solids, I would strongly consider just having Sam Hober make you repp silk ties in three or four colors you like.
For shoes, black, dark brown, and burgundy captoes would make a good rotation with applicability to all of the suits you mentioned.
Actually, repp ties might be my least favorite of all. I hope I'm not breaking an SF Commandment by saying that.Quote:
Ahhh, seasonality. Maybe that's one thing I should have expanded on. I live in south Florida, so basically, consider it summer (blistering, uncomfortable summer) for 11 months and fall for one, maybe one and a half on a good year. I guess silk/linen blends are probably my best bet, with maybe two or three wool or cashmere staples to rotate for that short cold period.Quote:
I think that a lot of people assume that knits and Grenadine are similar when they're really not. Knits to me are strictly casual where grenadine on the other hand (especially fina) feel right at home in all professional settings. In fact, if I can only have 1 tie for the rest of my life, it'd be a Navy Grenadine.
Thanks for your input (all of you). This thread has been by far the most helpful to me. I do not come from a family who had much concern for dressing properly, and living where I do, it's impossible to learn by observation.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › How many miles did you run today? 29 seconds ago
- › The official John Elliott B&S&T thread 42 seconds ago
- › Beautiful Bespoke Cappelli Navy Challis medallion 1 minute ago
- › 2016-17 College Football Season Threak 3 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 3 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 3 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 5 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway