or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2190

post #32836 of 37489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulillo View Post

Something that stands the test of time is a classic, whether one approves or not

 

Socks with sandals?  Nylon underwear?  Mickey Mouse sweatshirts?  None of them have gone away.

 

I get your point, but "classic menswear" does not allow all-comers based on endurance alone.  And certainly shouldn't on the basis of current iGent popularity.  

post #32837 of 37489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

Socks with sandals?  Nylon underwear?  Mickey Mouse sweatshirts?  None of them have gone away.

 

I get your point, but "classic menswear" does not allow all-comers based on endurance alone.  And certainly shouldn't on the basis of current iGent popularity.  


I was really talking about the combo tassels & suits and I was mostly referring to the talk about Ivy League Universities and Wall Street, and some other places. Sometimes I feel I can't write exactly what I am tinking -language barrier- so it is harder for me to make you see my point :/

Mickey Mouse sweatshirts, nylon underwear and socks+sandals have not been around as long as tassel have, have they? These type of shoes go back to the 1930s or 1940s, can't remember, don't they?

 

The tassel loafers with no visible socks have been usually worn (before the internet times) by very stylish and elegant men -at least here in southern Europe- not by any other kind of men...

 

Anyways, just rumbling. I always get surprised as how can this type of shoe polarize people so much. Most men I know either love them or hate them... very few are indefferent, happens here and as we can read happens in other countries. It is very curious... I used to dislike them when I was younger but not anymore :)

post #32838 of 37489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulillo View Post
 


I was really talking about the combo tassels & suits and I was mostly referring to the talk about Ivy League Universities and Wall Street, and some other places. Sometimes I feel I can't write exactly what I am tinking -language barrier- so it is harder for me to make you see my point :/

Mickey Mouse sweatshirts, nylon underwear and socks+sandals have not been around as long as tassel have, have they? These type of shoes go back to the 1930s or 1940s, can't remember, don't they?

 

The tassel loafers with no visible socks have been usually worn (before the internet times) by very stylish and elegant men -at least here in southern Europe- not by any other kind of men...

 

Anyways, just rumbling. I always get surprised as how can this type of shoe polarize people so much. Most men I know either love them or hate them... very few are indefferent, happens here and as we can read happens in other countries. It is very curious... I used to dislike them when I was younger but not anymore :)

 

+1 this also surprises me very much.  

post #32839 of 37489

Trying to define the perfect parameters of something as subjective as "classic menswear", especially in a global community, is bound to be polarising.  And just to be clear, I'm talking about the absence of socks, not the loafers.  I've mentioned seeing some very elegant European gentlemen pulling off loafers in a business environment.  But I still can't picture someone turning up to a board meeting without socks.

 

The geographical differences in taste and style are always interesting.  I'm not saying these things purely to be obnoxious, though I occasionally get there.  I'm just taking a deliberately traditional perspective based on my Englishness, to the point of being willfully reactionary.  Seeing the different views in response is a pleasure.

post #32840 of 37489
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

Socks with sandals?  Nylon underwear?  Mickey Mouse sweatshirts?  None of them have gone away.

 

 

 

toe socks!

post #32841 of 37489

Oh, stop it.

post #32842 of 37489

Oh my, I never talked about sockless loafers in business attire. Sorry for the omission on my previous posts but I totally get that. Nobody here wears a suit and then no socks, at least not anyones I have seen or heard of. I don't like that either. I was talking about leisure time, of course (dinners, coffees, walks, social events really...).

post #32843 of 37489

Got you; yes I agree.  Personally I still don't go sockless with loafers unless I'm wearing shorts, which as I said tends to be by the beach or similar - and rare at that!  But yes, with linen trousers and a loose, relaxed look, I totally get it for a coffee with friends or popping to the shop for a newspaper.

post #32844 of 37489
You guys still arguing about sockless loafers? Put a sock in it, will you?!
post #32845 of 37489

.

post #32846 of 37489

:nest:I've hear that chaps who take their socks off to wear loafers, stick them in their underwear to adjust their apparent proportions.

post #32847 of 37489
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

You guys still arguing about sockless loafers? Put a sock in it, will you?!

 

All the Single Laddies Ladies (Put a Sock On It)


Edited by sprout2 - 12/18/15 at 3:27pm
post #32848 of 37489
Thread Starter 
@flvinny521

Sorry about your experience with that tailor. It seems you were taken a little bit with regards to what you were intending to donate.

As far as the shirt sleeves: the best advice I can give is to try not to let it bug you. It might be cause by the way the sleeves are cut or are attached to the jacket. I don't know. But it definitely isn't worth the effort to fix.
post #32849 of 37489
On the sockless look, Antonio of Eidos does it quite well (I just can't recall his SF handle ATM):


post #32850 of 37489

He is a very stylish gentleman.  But I think he's also an example of how dressing excellently for life and business, and projecting and marketing an identity from within the style and fashion milieu, is necessarily different.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)