or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2182

post #32716 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

I think herringbone can be quite versatile, you're not limited to B&W and greys, IMO. You can mix it with blues, browns, green, burgundy, even purple.
A few examples of how I wear it (not necessarily the best examples, but it's all I've got...)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
gNgOa0h.jpg
mc4GtqJ.jpg
mDPBLw7.jpg
yHAmZeG.jpg
sTDl1Dj.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post

I generally don't wear it with a tie. In fact, I haven't yet. I also don't wear it with gray pants. I wear with with brown pants (mid-brown flannel, dark brown flannel, chocolate cords), oatmeal flannel, beige flannel, deep blue flannel, blue jeans, etc. Nearly always with a blue OCBD, but sometimes a blue and white university stripe OCBD. I also wear it with brown shoes whether in suede, cordovan, waxed leather, etc.

Thanks guys, definitely helps and gives me another jacket option to possibly throw in the wardrobe. Now would you say the jackets shade is medium grey or more of a darker grey? Im guessing medium because the herringbone lightens the color up.
post #32717 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

I think herringbone can be quite versatile, you're not limited to B&W and greys, IMO. You can mix it with blues, browns, green, burgundy, even purple.
A few examples of how I wear it (not necessarily the best examples, but it's all I've got...) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
gNgOa0h.jpg
mc4GtqJ.jpg
mDPBLw7.jpg
yHAmZeG.jpg
sTDl1Dj.jpg
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post

I generally don't wear it with a tie. In fact, I haven't yet. I also don't wear it with gray pants. I wear with with brown pants (mid-brown flannel, dark brown flannel, chocolate cords), oatmeal flannel, beige flannel, deep blue flannel, blue jeans, etc. Nearly always with a blue OCBD, but sometimes a blue and white university stripe OCBD. I also wear it with brown shoes whether in suede, cordovan, waxed leather, etc.

Thanks guys, definitely helps and gives me another jacket option to possibly throw in the wardrobe. Now would you say the jackets shade is medium grey or more of a darker grey? Im guessing medium because the herringbone lightens the color up.


Medium. I'll get pics of mine soon.

post #32718 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post
 

 

I generally don't wear it with a tie. In fact, I haven't yet. I also don't wear it with gray pants. I wear with with brown pants (mid-brown flannel, dark brown flannel, chocolate cords), oatmeal flannel, beige flannel, deep blue flannel, blue jeans, etc. 

 

This is the way I wear it most (no pics though): with dark jeans and chocolate chelseas (are you listening @sugarbutch?). At night even with a black (!) shirt sometimes...

post #32719 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post
 

 

This is the way I wear it most (no pics though): with dark jeans and chocolate chelseas (are you listening @sugarbutch?). At night even with a black (!) shirt sometimes...

 

What about red bow tie?

post #32720 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

A b&w herringbone is a nice jacket to have. Just don't follow his advice to wear it with a red bow tie, unless you're performing as a clown at a children's party.
Or as one of this dudes impersonators
post #32721 of 37396

the classic combo with a B&W herringbone odd jacket is a repp striped tie. Think Ivy League style...

 

But you can wear it with solids and almost any pattern as well...It is a very versatile jacket.

 

And I don't wear mine ever with grey trousers...I wear it with navy, brown, khaki, green, etc....tons of options.

post #32722 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post

 

Let me break it down for you: grown man discovers clothing at age 30, is used to wearing sneakers, decides that loafers have some vestigial preppy/Lord Fauntleroy connotation, afraid of foot looking dainty, decides to sink 401K into every iteration of closed toe laced shoe possible, including spectators.

Haha. Also, ouch. That hit a little bit too close to home. :embar: 

post #32723 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Gasp!
He's trolling.

Not at all. It would be too strong to say that I hate them, but any place that chelsea would work, I think a chukka would work better.
post #32724 of 37396
Chelseas rock. Chukkas too. Loafers I don't really get.
post #32725 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Chelseas rock. Chukkas too. Loafers I don't really get.

 

Agreed on the first 2 accounts!  Both extremely versatile for dress up/down.

 

I like loafers, however they strike me as warm weather/tropical shoes.  Great for summer in the north, or year round in the tropics.  Doesn't make it right or wrong, just my opinion.

 

And, yes to suede on everything, especially the 3 styles listed above.

post #32726 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


Not at all. It would be too strong to say that I hate them, but any place that chelsea would work, I think a chukka would work better.

 

I recently bught BB's version of Alden's unlined chukka in dark brown suede.  It has a flat welt and the stitching isn't as pronounced as the ordinary version and is on the Leydon last.  It is the OneShoe for me, haven't found anything it doesn't work well with.

post #32727 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post
 

Loafers are a wardrobe essential...in both smooth calf and suede...and anyone with a taste for American/Ivy League style will demand a pair of cordovan tassel or penny loafers (or both).

 

They are a great way to dress down a suit or add great casual effect to a summer odd jacket/trouser combination. And in the business world you will still see many men dressed in navy suits with cordovan Alden loafers in black, burgundy, and brown

 

I can understand some not liking them...and this is their prerogative. But, they are definitely an essential in a well stocked and diversified wardrobe.

 

Well maybe this in bold kind of explains it. Not everyone likes American/Ivy League style, and then loafers with a suit in business environment none the less... Hmmmm... 

For me, loafers belong in the same drawer with sneakers, like if I would go for a walk in a park, or drinks by the lake or something...Now in that case, suede is the only option.

post #32728 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCal View Post
 

 

Agreed on the first 2 accounts!  Both extremely versatile for dress up/down.

 

I like loafers, however they strike me as warm weather/tropical shoes.  Great for summer in the north, or year round in the tropics.  Doesn't make it right or wrong, just my opinion.

 

And, yes to suede on everything, especially the 3 styles listed above.

 

I'm with you here.  I can get my head around them as very casual wear, it's when they are dressed up that they really just don't fit my eye.

post #32729 of 37396

Chelseas come in many flavors, allowing them to work in a number of quite different contexts.   A sleek, unadorned Chelsea is arguably as dressy if not dressier than a laced wholecut and can be worn with a suit (and frequently is in the UK where it’s a pretty classic look), even a quite formal one. 

 

Others one can wear while riding a horse ...

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #32730 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Not at all. It would be too strong to say that I hate them, but any place that chelsea would work, I think a chukka would work better.

Airports. Asia, making a lot of house calls. Life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)