Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:01 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 217post #3241 of 374823/4/14 at 3:55ampost #3242 of 374823/4/14 at 4:28ampost #3243 of 374823/4/14 at 4:48amQuote:
I just ordered a buff linen waistcoat to wear with a blue suit that I have. I'll probably find very little occasion to wear it, but I anticipate enjoying very much the times that I do.post #3244 of 374823/4/14 at 7:42amQuote:Originally Posted by TweedyProf
Since we're on formal ties (e.g. Shepherd Check)....relatedly, anyone pull off gingham ties, larger scale checks? I've seen some navy ones which look nice but I haven't managed to find a fit where they look great. Imagining pairing it in spring/summer with a linen blazer, say a lighter blue, with a navy gingham linen tie, with very light blue nearly white BD (all different blues). Thoughts?
Gents, any thoughts on gingham ties for the spring/summer? Talk of Shepherds Check ties made me think of something larger scale.post #3245 of 374823/4/14 at 7:50ampost #3246 of 374823/4/14 at 8:56amQuote:Originally Posted by archibaldleach
Also, at @luv2breformed, remember that improving your wardrobe is a process. It may take trying on a lot more brands and fits of jackets to find the right fit (or resorting to MTM at some point). As much as you may want to have an ideal wardrobe ASAP, it will take time no matter what your financial resources are. If you are not finding stuff that is a real improvement in RTW, the solution is to look at a lot more RTW options or to slowly look at something like MTM or bespoke. If you go the MTM / bespoke route, however. please start with basic versatile staples despite the temptation you may have to get something made with some sort of exotic cloth.
This helps a ton. As does everyone else's advice. I don't know why, but I am always looking for an instant ideal collection. I understand and can verbally recommend to others that building a solid wardrobe over time is much cheaper and much better, but then I can't seem to take my own advice, or the advice of a bunch of others for that matter. I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from posting WAYWRN and trying to feverishly kop all of my missing basics and just lurk for a few months. You guys have given me the tools I need to succeed and hopefully in that time frame I can pick up a jacket here or pants there that will really work for me. Hopefully I can start posting some good stuff that fits me well in a few months.
THANKS, EVERYONEpost #3247 of 374823/4/14 at 9:19ampost #3248 of 374823/4/14 at 9:40amQuote:Originally Posted by Rudals
Uh...so now you listen? LOL
I've been telling you all along to go slow!
C'mon, man. You look like you have your stuff together.
But there's no need to be trigger happy.
Slow it down and build up slowly.
I know I know, you've told me like 5 times. Clags too, everyone pretty much. :P
I'm generally a quick study and very eager and aggressive once I get into something. It doesn't combine well with my "collector" mindset and mentality. I can appreciate a streamlined wardrobe from a distance, but for some reason I have to have all the things and infinite variety. When you haven't nailed down 100% things so basic as solid fit, the results can be disastrous as everyone has seen thus far.
I have generally recieved positive reception from my last few WAYWRN posts, but frankly most my clothing doesn't fit me correctly. I think people appreciate the combo or idea that I was going for and are overlooking the fact that my jacket is a size too small or that it's an inch short, etc.
Like I said, I think I need to back off. I will still continue culling and kopping and will be following threads; but I am done posting WAYWRN or fit pics in here because I now see what you guys have been pointing out. I KNOW the jacket doesn't fit correctly, but I post it anyways because I think the issues can be overlooked or resolved via tailoring etc. Like I said, I have the tools now, I can see it now and I need to focus on getting good solid pieces that fit correctly. Maybe after I have a few good ones I will start posting again in WAYWRN, but I imagine it will be a few months away.
Thanks again for everyone's help.post #3249 of 374823/4/14 at 10:25ampost #3250 of 374823/4/14 at 11:56ampost #3251 of 374823/5/14 at 4:27pmWhat do you guize think about the following new s/s Cantarelli SC offerings over at NMWA? In terms of versatility, and also what pents to pair with?
Also, this Camoshita:
I seem to recall having a similar beige silk/linen herringbone jacket years ago, and enjoying it, though I was even less cognizant of sartorial sensability then than I am now. The 2 lighter blues are hard for me to get a read on, since I tend to gravitate more towards medium and darker/navy blues. Very pale grey pents with these? Other colors/fabric suggestions? Greg suggests denim for a casual look, I guess that also implies navy/darker blue linen would work (Warning: Navy Trews Ahead, Proceed With Caution).
The Camoshita seems altogether more casual, though I could see it working with a variety of colors and fabrics, from denim, to khakis, to linen, etc.
Any/all too inflexible for someone in a wardrobe (re)building process? It's a given they shoot down the notion of 3-4 season wear, but what the hell.post #3252 of 374823/5/14 at 4:37pmpost #3253 of 374823/5/14 at 4:42pmpost #3254 of 374823/5/14 at 4:44pmpost #3255 of 374823/5/14 at 4:47pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 42 seconds ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 7 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 7 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 8 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 10 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 22 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 22 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 25 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 25 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 31 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...