or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 2115

post #31711 of 37411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedstate View Post

What is the consensus on these Partenopea listed on eBay? Construction quality checks out? Canvassing? That seems like a heck of a deal.

Partenopea has an excellent reputation for fully canvassed Neapolitan construction.  I don't own any yet, but I'm seriously contemplating picking some up.  

post #31712 of 37411

I don't have a single sports coat (always wear a suit to work and very rarely need one for social outings in sunny Florida) but my wife has a Christmas party coming up with some bigwigs and I thought it was a perfect excuse to go and buy one. I had my wife take quick iPhone pics of each, is it cool if I post them here and get a consensus?

 

I went in knowing that they may all be terrible, but what might be more beneficial is to find the best fitting coat and use the measurements to find something here on B&S or maybe eBay.

post #31713 of 37411
Absolutely, post 'em!
post #31714 of 37411
Fresco is great, but is effectively only available for MTM or bespoke. Even on StyFo, that is hardly a practical recommendation. Check out that BrooksCool, broseph.

Also: Benefits of machine-made suits include no seam blowout from shower steam.
post #31715 of 37411
Thread Starter 

Zegna Cooleffects fabric also works well. Not sure about humidity, but it's great for sunlight.

post #31716 of 37411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Fresco is great, but is effectively only available for MTM or bespoke. Even on StyFo, that is hardly a practical recommendation. Check out that BrooksCool, broseph.

Also: Benefits of machine-made suits include no seam blowout from shower steam.

Fresco as in the Minnis brand name, yes. But fresco as a generic term for high twist, tropical wool is widely available in RTW.

I believe the fear of shower steam is misplaced, igents echoing each other without knowing why. Perhaps if you leave your jacket steaming for hours. But a few minutes in the shower is enough and won't damage your jacket in any way.
post #31717 of 37411

I just shower in the suit, saves time. And money -- which you can use towards your next commission.

Usually I just slip the soap in the breast pocket too, easy access

post #31718 of 37411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout2 View Post
 

I just shower in the suit, saves time. And money -- which you can use towards your next commission.

Usually I just slip the soap in the breast pocket too, easy access

 


Edited by Coxsackie - 11/11/15 at 3:23am
post #31719 of 37411

While we're on the topic of Fresco suit...

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Despite all that's been said in my picnic attack about the particular one that I have, it has proven to be pretty darn durable (?). I wear it pretty often and have not babied it like the other 3 or 4 suits from the same maker. But it has held up very well under heavy usage and has kept its form. 
post #31720 of 37411
Have you vowed never to speak the name Formosa again?
post #31721 of 37411
Quote:
Originally Posted by flvinny521 View Post
 

I don't have a single sports coat (always wear a suit to work and very rarely need one for social outings in sunny Florida) but my wife has a Christmas party coming up with some bigwigs and I thought it was a perfect excuse to go and buy one. I had my wife take quick iPhone pics of each, is it cool if I post them here and get a consensus?

 

I went in knowing that they may all be terrible, but what might be more beneficial is to find the best fitting coat and use the measurements to find something here on B&S or maybe eBay.

 

Pics didn't come out that great, I'll try to take some new ones in the next few days.

 

On an unrelated note, any eBay users of note that have consistently good clothing? The only one I'm following is Spoo.

post #31722 of 37411

Dear Colleagues,

 

I solicit your advice.  I’ve got a Suit Supply Lazio and the sleeves are a bit long.  Altering from the sleevehead would be beyond the reach of my alterations tailor, so my only option is to shorten from the cuff.  I think I can get away with shortening it by 0.5 inches without it looking strange, but I would appreciate your thoughts.  Here’s a photo showing the proposed shortening.  Thanks.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

 

post #31723 of 37411
^ I'd go for it if you otherwise really like the suit.
post #31724 of 37411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

Dear Colleagues,

 

I solicit your advice.  I’ve got a Suit Supply Lazio and the sleeves are a bit long.  Altering from the sleevehead would be beyond the reach of my alterations tailor, so my only option is to shorten from the cuff.  I think I can get away with shortening it by 0.5 inches without it looking strange, but I would appreciate your thoughts.  Here’s a photo showing the proposed shortening.  Thanks.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

 

 

 

 

You can shorten by almost an inch without it looking strange.

post #31725 of 37411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post


You can shorten by almost an inch without it looking strange.

One can probably get away with going down to .75 inches IMO, if need be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)